Do you want Sodium Fluoride to be added to Huel? (poll inside)

That area has 1-1.5ppm of fluoride (NE28) - is that 1-1.5mg of fluoride or less than that?

http://www.wmaf.org.uk/userfiles/FLUORIDATED%20POST%20CODE%20AREAS%20OF%20THE%20UK%20v4.pdf

Most of it has 1ppm or less, some areas just have it as naturally occurring fluoride.

It’s a bit early in the day for me to do maths, but how much does 1ppm of fluoride weigh when dry so that I can calculate how many mee-gees of fluoride you’re getting in a litre of water?

Water has a molecular mass of 18.01528 g/mol
Fluoride has a molecular mass of 18.9984 g/mol

I’m going for a walk now.

I’m not in NE28, I am in NE29. https://www.nwl.co.uk/_assets/files/wq/N140.pdf
Flouride Dissolved 1.5mg/l Either way, I would still prefer not to have it added to the Huel. I am also not happy about the salt levels.

So, unless or until they lower/remove the fluoride and salt, I am not buying it.

Enjoy your walk.

2 Likes

Sorry, delayed by a software update, leaving in a bit. Although the salt bit is deffo for another thread, I do remember a lot of posts about people (back in 1.1 & 1.2 days) having headaches on 100% Huel, which posters put down to the low salt content, so adding salt to Huel should stop that from happening. I haven’t noticed any ‘huel headache’ stories for a while so I’m guessing that’s stopped it.

Anyway, will pop by later.

I switched from Huel (not because of the changes), but I wouldn’t recommend Nano, I found it to be terrible taste wise.

I’m looking at Nutberg or Pulve as alternatives to Huel v2.0 because I’d prefer one without dextrose / maltodextrin which most seem to have. Unfortunately neither of those shipping for a couple of weeks due to being out of stock.

2 Likes

You could consider making your own homemade Huel in the interim. See here for inspiration - DIY Huel - “Duel”. If you have a blender (especially a high-speed one) and a weighing scales you’re halfway there. I haven’t arrived at an exact recipe yet unfortunately.

Edit: Pulve is interesting - will keep an eye out for when there is more V2.0 info.

What did it taste like?

No. Using the data from that link you provided you’ve got it wrong. The upper value in that area is limited by the NHS to 1.5mg/l but the minimum value they detected in actual samples was 0.15mg/l (ten times lower than the NHS limit and the maximum value detected in all of all of those samples was 0.78mg/ml (less than half the limit) which means that nobody in that area is getting anywhere near to even close to half the 1.5mg/l limit at all.

1 Like

Fair enough, I misread the spreadsheet, after all, I am only young (dude, I’m 35, I am not young). I still do not want fluoride in Huel. It is not a necessary nutrient. It does not belong in Huel.

I’m quite agnostic when it comes to adding fluoride to Huel, but have no issue with it. But many posters in the various Huel vs Fluoride threads on here have said that they don’t want fluoride added to Huel because the amount of fluoride in their tap water pushes them into some “toxic” level because but it would appear that they have misunderstood that they’re not actually getting anywhere near that level in their tap water alone so it would be best to have a brief fact check. And for those who drink tea, and have done for years, they’ve probably already been getting massive levels over what they thought was ‘safe’ before anyway.

2 Likes

I said no because the 3.6 mg of unwanted Sodium Fluoride could be filled with more of something else. :smiley:

1 Like

And because I drink a lot of tea I’d rather avoid fluoride consumption elsewhere so still don’t want it in Huel. I love tea, tea is life, all praise be to tea…

3 Likes

I’m more concerned with the amount of tea in fluoride :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m concerned that there’s too many macro and micro nutrients in my new vanilla flavoured mouthwash. I’m drinking whole bottles of it rather than just washing my mouth out with a cap full and then spitting it out.

1 Like

I now do a cold water extraction of supermarket multivitamin tablets as I’m concerned that the calcium carbonate which is used as a filler could give me bones which are too strong when I actually like breaking limbs as my health insurance policy pays me £150 for each complete day I’m admitted to an NHS hospital.

1 Like

Pulve seems to be dead : https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=592430337592971&id=489662411203098
For me, the best alternative to Huel is Stoner Shake : https://stonershake.com/ (like Huel : real food + vitamins/minerals).
The powders made of 100% real foods (Nutberg, Bertrand, Trinkkost, Ambronite) are too expensive.

1 Like

Maybe the powders made without 100% whole foods are cheap crap made from agribusiness/government subsidized ingredients? It’s all relative. It’s unfortunate that nutritious food is deemed to be expensive. You get what you pay for and your health ought to be very valuable to you. Having said that Stoner Shake doesn’t look too bad. Thanks.

Sure, you’re right. I was just saying.
Here is another powder, with the same profile (real food + vitamins/minerals added) : Vexx http://vexx.eu

2 Likes

£164.99 does seem rather steep, tbh.

Love this quote

“StonerShake has been created by stoners for stoners, with :heart:

So funny.

I can’t seem to find a nutrition breakdown?