“Feed” (Huel Parody or..?)

I’m a Huel and a Feed customer since months.
If you have question just ask.
The Feed Sport is kind of the same as huel in terms of protein but more expensive (and more sugar)
The Feed Light is low in sugar but much expensive
The regular powder is less expansive than theirs others but it is lower quality versus huel (nutritionnaly talking)

Their bars are high in calories but contains a lot of bad sugar

The very good point about feed is the taste. It is very very good

3 Likes

Thanks for all the detailed info! Will just add we have recently had our v3.0 bars tested and the GI is 29, so lower than the previous v2.0 bars which had a GI of 32 (still very low).

2 Likes

That one is absolutely delicious. Perhaps the best bar I’ve tried to date.

I used their powder when stating this. Their protein sources do vary slightly depending the product.

Nice summary.

1 Like

Last point: Huel only have sweet taste whereas feed has sweet and savoury and, beleive me, the savoury flavors of feed are, for some, extremely good.

In terms of nutrition huel seems to be better but in terms of taste feed is better, by far.

1 Like

Interesting, what kind of savoury flavours are we talking about ?

Anything we can replicate at home using the unsweetened Huel as a base?

No. I’ve tried many times but nothing can compare to the feed.co flavours using a huel u&u basis.
Almost all their flavours are great: spicy tomato, mushrooms, vegetables, etc.
They are really much much better than huel on flavours, really.
The fact huel is sweet only is a really really bad point for me and it is the reason why i don’t order more. I always order some huel + some feed to be able to choose weather i eat savoury (noon) or sweet (breakfast).

But remind that feed is lower quality in terms of nutrition.

To my opinion, the best option is to mix 50% U&U huel with feed

4 Likes

I hadn’t heard of feed. The flavour choices certainly seem appealing. The ingredients are ‘ok’ but I wouldn’t want to eat it regularly I don’t think. It’s also kinda expensive in comparison don’t you think?

Huel definitely need to get some savoury flavours. U&U plus raw cacao or instant coffee or peanut powder is about as close to savoury (or not-sweet) as I’ve managed to get so far.

Ditto all that @ChristinaT I’m guessing it must be difficult to perfect certain flavours without sacrificing something along the way.

I think Marmite ™ will make anything savoury :wink:

1 Like

Can’t quite bring myself to try that :nauseated_face::grin:

Ive tried Feed and I really like their chocolate flavour. I find it much more pleasant to drink than Huel, the consistency is kind of thinner and grittier, which sounds awful but it has a really good mouthfeel compared to Huel, which I find a bit gloopy and sickly feeling in the mouth sometimes.

The chocolate flavour is a really kind of vaguely sweet yet neutral chocolatey taste that I really like. Feed may well have more actual sugar than Huel, but it doesn’t have that artificial teeth-on-edge sweetness that I sometimes struggle with with Huel. It tastes more natural and full bodied I’d say.

3 Likes

I tried feed and it tastes great but that’s because of the sugar content… to which if I want a sugar treat, i’ll buy a McDonalds Milkshake. Huel still wins because it doesn’t wrap up the vitamins and health in sugar and sell it unlike feed.

As has already been pointed out, the sugar in Feed. is isomaltulose which has a very low GI (like the oats in Huel) and isn’t bad for teeth. Comparing it to glucose or sucrose is an unfair comparison.

1 Like

After doing some more reading I think i’ve learned a bit more about isomaltulose. It has to be labelled as a sugar even though it has a low glycemic index value. That’s education for you.

I would like to try some of their other feed flavours but there is a big flaw.
There is £70 minimum order which makes it a ridiculous risk to order anything. They have a starter pack that is under £20 but you can’t order that as it’s under £70. It’s the biggest hurdle they have for selling anything. It could be £70 of products you dislike.

Yeah, and then you have maltodextrin which is pretty much the opposite. It isn’t labelled as a sugar (as its structure has many different saccharide units) but it has an extremely high GI of up to ~110.

From what I can tell with Feed, the £70 is for free shipping. I’d be surprised if it was the minimum order amount, as they recently set up a warehouse in the UK I believe.

1 Like

Its not sugar in the true sense of the word, and the sucralose in Huel gives it an awful artificial aftertaste (IMO).

Eh? I have ordered Feed before and I ordered just one bag

What is the true sense of the word?

It’s by definition a sugar :weary:

This place gets weird when the S word comes out!

1 Like

Isomaltulose = glucose + fructose. Sorry, it IS a sugar. GI is not the only way to define a sugar. Sooner or later, this sugar comes in your blood, and everywhere in your body.

That’s a really silly way of looking at it. Starches break down into glucose which also raise your blood sugar too, which also goes round your body. Unless you’ve advocating for a zero-carb approach which I highly doubt, your argument here is weak.

For clarification, a sugar is defined as a carbohydrate composed of two or fewer saccharide units - which yes, makes no reference to GI. However, all carbs cause blood sugar rises (as do some amino acids in proteins, in fact) so in terms of sugar levels round your body, GI and GL are the only useful metrics in determining the potency of a carb (any carb, sugar or not) for raising sugar levels round your body. Final edit, when I say “all carbs” above I’m not including fibre in that - fibre is different and varies from source to source.

2 Likes