Huel bar spotted!

Same here, my order has been in ‘shipped’ limbo since last Thursday. No idea where it is. Lucky I’m not relying on them for my food supply - I’m more curious about them than anything.
This is where Huel wins out for me; delivery is generally next day in the UK, no problems or waiting.
Definitely interested to try a Huel bar when it comes out though :slight_smile:

Had mine delivered a few days ago and of course they are just super convenient to take along with you. When trying that with the powdered solution you want to mix it on the go which means that the powder is at the bottom of the shaker when you add the water, clumping the whole thing up. Also when I sit in the library I cant very well shake it like that - just taking out the bar is way easier.

The twenny bars are fine enough for what they are but by no means perfect. They are way, way too sweet for my liking and have the usual problems of all joylent products - maltodextrose, and these even contain glucose syrup and inverted sugar syrup. Yuck, if you think about it. But it has always been true that convenience beats anything else that stands against it quality wise.

Right now the best thing is still huel in a small pouch and a shaker to prepare the whole thing on the road.
Thanks for reading folks and watch that glycemic index! :wink:

2 Likes

I’m with @Raymondcal. I like powder for the precision with which you can mix drinks — very useful for gaining mass on 6 meals a day and probably even more essential if you’re counting calories to lose weight.

However, I will say that there are days (especially now in my busy period) where I have to travel to London for 9+ hours, which means 3 Huel shakes. The best I can do is carry two pre-made ones in my bag. Huel bars would be a godsend on those kinds of days. I don’t wanna be choosing between McDonalds and Sainsbury’s meal deals! Even places like Pret or Itsu, which are healthy enough, just aren’t that great when you’re trying to get 30g of protein per meal.

By the way, if you don’t mind eating soya, and you want a bar made in the UK that doesn’t contain added sugar, the Trek bars are worth a try:
https://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/trek-protein-bars/

No added vitamins, though.

Not curious at all; food science doesn’t work that way.

Joylent made the bar, then measured the micros and macros.

They didn’t assemble a vat that contains exactly 400 calories worth of ingredients, then mold them into a bar.

Whether that was aimed at the OP or me, I’ll take that recommendation! I’ve eaten Nakd bars in a rush — they’re great but not well rounded enough for weight training. I’ve seen Trek before in Holland & Barrett but never got round to actually trying them. 2-3 of those would more or less replace a meal quite well for me.

EDIT: Though having said that, I’m now toying with the idea of joining the dark side and trying some Twenny Bars…

Booo! Hisss! All you Twennybar traitors are off my Christmas card list. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Seconded trek. I use them!

1 Like

Nothing dark side about it. Just like Huel filled the UK void for Soylent, Joylent has filled the solid bars void. When Huel comes about with a better bar, you can always switch. :+1:

2 Likes

@ric Absolutely! Supply and demand. And there’s nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition. It keeps everyone on their toes and striving to be the best they can be.

@monolith23 I hear what you are saying, I’m anti adding sugar too. But I must forewarn you, the Huel bar will be higher in sugar than powdered Huel. We tried to keep the nutritional profile the same but we need to add sugar to bind the bar together and keep it moist.

Having said that it will still be low in sugar compare to most bars, e.g. someone just mention the Nakd bar which are 45.6% sugar per weight. We will be a lot, lot lower than that but higher than the Huel powder.

https://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/nakd-fruit-and-nut-bars/nakd-bakewell-tart-bar/

5 Likes

@Julian

Thanks a lot for the explanation on why more sugar needs to be added to these products in the first place. And thinking about it, of course it does make sense - provided there is no other way to bind humidity and make the bar a bar.
When it is explained well and people can be confident you tried and are trying to minimise sugar content, this should not be an issue. For me personally however it means I’ll still try to take most of my meals from the powdered source while supplementing the bars for practicality.

P.S.: I have not even received my first shipment of Huel yet and am waiting for it patiently. In the meantime I am doing a lot of research in the powdered food segment though with especially looking critically at sugar contents and long term potential diabetes impact.
Your approach best reflects how one has to be mindful of that when choosing your main or single source of nutrients. Studying medicine has made me sensitive to these issues and made my path through any supermarket way more straightforward in the process. Huel seems to have recognised that food is not just about convenience but about also responsibility towards our bodies and our planet. Options for the average consumer are poor right now and what starts as providing an option to those who care may hopefully go on to change the perceptions of many.

It is also just really cool to receive an answer to my concern by the founder of the company. Thanks for that!

1 Like

@Julian Do you know yet what type of sugar it will be?

1 Like

@Marcus it hasn’t been finalised, probably naturally occurring fructose from dates, etc. But really sugar is sugar, yes there are some pros and cons of the different types but in general they are all bad and we want to keep them to the minimum.

4 Likes

My local Aldi sells the Trek bars, been having them for a while :+1:

Not really convinced by the Joylent Twennybars.

When you consider what’s in them, are they really any “better” than something like http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/oats-whey/10529358.html (which with all the MyProtein discounts floating around are generally available for around 80p each, albeit for ~315cals rather than ~385cals)?

To me the huge advantage of Huel is the thought that has gone into the formula (no soy, no maltodextrin, barely any sugar etc). I appreciate that the Huel Bars won’t be quite so “perfect” for the reasons Julian mentioned above, but I imagine they will be much closer than the Twennybars, thus justifying a premium over something like those MyProtein bars.

@william You are probably right, there are already lots of these kinds of protein bars that contain lots of sugar, soy, milk, etc.

2 Likes

My problem with bars is that they’ll probably be baked, thus destroying the good fats in the flaxseeds. I would prefer a bar that is raw, perhaps set in the freezer to bind, rather than baked in the oven?

I get worried about seeing so many ingredients going into a bar. Those Twenty bars look terrible - defeats the point of having a healthy bar. If Huel does come out with something I’d like it to be simple as possible to align itself with the company philosophy. Getting away from, syrups, E’s, chemicals, flavourings and other chemicals are many reasons why people have joined the Huel bandwagon

Twennybars have a new recipe (less than half the free sugars than before). Check this out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3--jRnULyII.

Huel could use VitaFiber - the binding agent in Quest Bars. The fibre science behind it is very interesting (isomaltooligosaccharides) - but it seems it might not be all it’s cracked up to be (the nutritional characteristics are in doubt).

2 Likes