Huel Bars and Digestive Issues

Has anyone (who doesn’t have this problem with powder) experienced digestive issues with consuming Huel bars?
I have had no issues whatsoever with the powder and I’ve been consuming it daily for about 2 months now. I didn’t even have any problems right at the beginning. No problems at all.

But I received my first box of bars a few days ago, and have been having one a day for the past 5 days, and since then have been having terrible trouble with my guts - bloating, flatulence, grumbling stomach noises, pain, changes in bowel habits etc

I find it really odd that I’m fine with the powder but not the bars. I just had to double check that they are gluten-free (yep they definintely are). So what ingredient differences are there that could cause such significantly different reactions?

Has anyone else experienced this problem too with the bars? And subsequently managed to find out what it is about the bars that causes this? Will it resolve in time do you think?

Thanks in advance for any advice / suggestions / solutions / answers!!

2 Likes

Nope. Polydextrose is the only ingredient that may cause an issue but not on one bar a day as far as I know.

Sigh… I wonder what it is then. Really odd that my guts don’t like it.
I’m fine with other similar food bars e.g. nakd, pulsin etc

2 Likes

I also swapped my powder to Choc Mint premix on the same day, but other than containing sucralose AND stevia, this powder is identical to all the others so I can’t see that being the problem. Unless its the sudden increase in sweetener consumption - I was previously always mixing my sweetened flavour with UU. But thats such a tiny increase in sweetener - I can’t see that causing such a massive disturbance all of a sudden.

2 Likes

I get similar effects. Can only get away with eating half a bar at a time.

2 Likes

I am not an expert. There are so many sensitivities and intolerances these days. All I know is that I am lactose intolerant…anyone that drinks dairy should be exterminated.

2 Likes

@Bee that’s really interesting you get a similar effect. I wonder what it is…
I would say maybe its all that condensed food into a small bar, with minimal moisture but it isnt massively different than the pulsin bars which are pressed pea protein plus rice plus dates etc, and I can eat about six of them in a row (yeah they are super delicious) without getting ill.

2 Likes

Steady on, John. Your strong views might offend someone.

2 Likes

Huel bars (and Huel granola) are not low FODMAP. I find I can tolerate 60g of granola for breakfast without too much discomfort but a Huel bar on top of this really tips the balance. An occasional half bar is usually tolerated later in the day. Needless to say, my box of Huel bars will last a very long time.

2 Likes

Hmmmm thanks @Bee that explains it.
What is in the bars that makes it high FODMAP? is it simply the different ratios of ingredients used?

2 Likes

I’m not sure. Fructose to glucose ratio? Perhaps @JamesCollier could help us out here.

The chicory root fibre in Huel Bars is a FODMAP; although better tolerated than most other soluble fibre binders, it can still cause flatulence in some sensitive individuals, though this will also depend on what else you’ve consumed.

4 Likes

Thanks @JamesCollier. What about Granola?

Yes, chicory root fibre in what we use as a binder in the Huel Granola, too.

2 Likes

Thank you James :+1: So one product on its own is tolerated ok but overdo that and whoops, upper abdo pain and bloating. That’s what happens to me. When I am careful all is fine.

1 Like

That’s quite possible in sensitive people.

2 Likes

That will be it exactly for me: the chicory root fibre. I’ve always had problems with this, even tho I don’t have issues with lots of other higher FODMAP foods and don’t follow a FODMAP diet.
Not sure why chicory root fibre affects me personally. I react to bananas, figs, Jerusalem artichokes, and chicory root fibre, all in a similar way. The most extreme reaction being banana which can actually put me completely out of action for 48hrs with debilitating pain.

Chicory root fibre is just a minor reaction but I probably will avoid the bars in the future. Or try having half at a time, see if that’s ok.

3 Likes

@ChristinaT does chicory root fibre make you do smelly farts?

1 Like

Its more the pain thats the issue @ian42 but yes some flatulence as well. I just blame the smell on the cat.

4 Likes

Pain with me too. Upper epigastric :roll_eyes: Huel shakes keep my sensitive gut on an even keel as long as I ration the other stuff.

2 Likes