Huel is a new religion?

Pre-emptive Huel burger strike – two patties made with Impossible ground burger meat, Puglia lentils and truffle infused extra virgin olive oil. Layered with H&S Mac & Cheeze, plant based soft cheese and mozzarella style slices, pea sprouts and red onions. All washed down with an Alpro Chocolate & Hazelnut ice cream/Complete Protein Chocolate Fudge Brownie milkshake. Definitely one way to blow all your daily calorie allowance in one hit. Worth it.

16 Likes

Phil can you just stop outdoing Huel? How can we top that?! Amazing photo! I hope the burger was still warm by the time it’s photoshoot was over!

3 Likes

yup - learnt by past mistakes - everything set up with positioning and camera/lights beforehand so still very warm and edible by the time I’d done :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve not had a burger since going Veggie in March this year, I’ve also not really wanted one, until now! That looks amazing. Need to start looking for the Impossible ground burger meat locally. :+1:

Speaking of burgers. Quorn chicken-style burgers are really good, as are Richmond meat-free burgers.

1 Like

@Phil_C what you’re able to do is really impressive, well done.

1 Like

Thanks @Bee, i’ll see if we have these locally.

1 Like

I echo this. Excellent stuff.

Well, so what if Huel really is a money-grabbing company playing the environmentally friendly card? And so what if the product really is just meal replacing diet food?

Are you enjoying it? I am. Surely, that’s all that matters. I’ve found that it benefits me and suits my lifestyle, and I’m content with that. I’ve no need to put corporations on a pedestal alongside my creature comforts, nor join any cult. If Huel starts to disappoint me I’ll just take my money elsewhere, as these nonbeliever friends of yours apparently have done.

inspirational gif for you

@ JBonhuel:

It’s not about the product but all about conforming. That’s the way our society works. Social norms and rules, especially the “unwritten” ones, exist to test whether someone obeys or not. It is not really about what you conform to, but about the mere act of conforming. It’s about your willingness to accept hierarchical structures in general.

Religion is an outdated way to test someone’s willingness to conform. Nowadays it’s more about consume culture.

You will never be able to prevent people from judging you, not matter what you do. You must learn to be comfortable regardless of their jugdements, and be able to accept that you can’t do anything about it.

3 Likes

That’s not an easy question to answer, and people do it for all sorts of reasons. Back when I became vegan the primary driving force was definitely animal cruelty - I became vegan after visiting an abattoir on a biology field trip at school - these days kids go to Harry Potter land instead - my family were actually dairy farmers so I knew a bit about it. My grandad was also a horse trainer and jockey (he rode in Irish Grand National), and rode with the local hunt. My gran would get a chicken - they always had a small flock that were free range -, wring its neck, then pluck it, gut it etc. and that would later be Sunday lunch. Or they would shoot rabbit and pheasant. They didn’t rely on mass produced factory farmed animals and stuff from the supermarket. We only ever drank raw milk.

Nowadays I think a lot of people still go vegan for animal cruelty reasons, but there is more emphasis on health - even though again, a lot of vegan ready meals aren’t massively healthy and I know people who rely on them.

There was one of those consumer type programmes on BBC1 last night - a family were trying to reduce their carbon footprint - so part of that was eating more plant based foods. The only reason I watched it was because I heard there would be a bit about veganism in it. It was more to do with the environmental impact of meat. The dad was a real meataholic and wasn’t going to be budged, but far play to him, he actually did like some of the products and accepted he’d used them in future - vegan sausages - a vegan home made vegetable curry were both winners but he didn’t like vegan burgers. The 2 boys loved the sausages, one love and one hated the curry, and both preferred soya milk to dairy milk.

If everyone cut down their consumption of meat and dairy by just one or two days a week it would have a huge impact.

I now know lots of people who drink plant based milk even though not veggie, because they prefer it, and many are eating less milk.

Things are definitely changing, and of course there are so many options for plant based eating these days.

6 Likes

For me it definitely wasn’t the idea of veganism that made me try huel. It was convenience and the ability to easily be able to count calories.

Now that I’ve been huelling for a couple of years, I am eating less and less meat and usually when I do it’s only because other people have cooked it for me. I live in a big family that’s my fiancé’s not my own. They always buy meat in, but they are stuck in their ways so it’s out of my hands.

Now there is hot and savoury there’s no reason they shouldn’t at least try it before continuing with meat. But I think there’s a point soon that I won’t eat meat, because most of my meals will be huel. I don’t like veggies, but I don’t have to now there’s a tasty alternative.

I’m just super happy I found out about Huel. It is one of the only times a Facebook advertisement has changed the way I live my life.

3 Likes

I suspect this is the case for the majority of users. Most Huel consumers I know aren’t even vegetarian.

1 Like

The increase in demand for vegan products seems to be due to the wish of more and more people to try new things. There was not much room to innovate animal based products, but lots of plant based stuff that hasn’t been tried yet. Almost every exotic product is something purely plant based. I know several people who regularly consume vegan things because for specific product types they like the taste better compared to animal based alternatives. Or they have both because they want to increase variety. Or just because some vegan foods sound special, new or interesting. The large majority of those people is not strictly vegan, sometimes not even vegetarian.

For Huel it might be similar - as hunzas already said.

Still it is a very positive development - every animal product that is not consumed/ substituted with a vegan product is a good product.

The price of vegan products seems to decrease on average - I hope this will be true for Huel products also.

1 Like

One thing I have seen on some UK supermarkets is that they are placing vegan products strategically in the meat aisles not with the vegan food. I guess the aim is to encourage meat eaters to try an alternative. I think it’s an interesting idea and I’d like to know how it works out. For example, Morrisons has vegan sausages bacon and mince in amongst the meat ones, and Sainsbury’s has vegan mince with meat mince.

Tesco has a weird meat and veg hybrid range which is something like sausages with 60% meat and 40% veg. Not quite sure what they are hoping to achieve with that. Most people who want meat are capable of adding veg to their meals

2 Likes

I can personally say that the fact that all Huel products are 100% vegan is a big part of why I went with this company and not another meal replacement service.

Firstly for ethical reasons, I prefer to support a fully vegan businesses. To me this shows a level of commitment beyond the typical pandering of companies who offer a plant-based “option”. Secondly it instills me with greater confidence in their understanding of human nutrition; there are many studies showing the carcinogenic effects of meat & dairy, and many more showing the health-promoting effects of various phytochemicals (and a plant-based diet overall).

2 Likes

It is hard to only support vegan businesses as so many of them have fingers in many often meaty pies.

But yeah it was an attraction to Huel for me too.

On thing I always wondered yet never asked, is why Huel doesn’t display the vegan society vegan🌻 logo, because I believe they are actually registered with the Vegan Society.

Most Huel consumers aren’t vegan and I wonder if the percentage that buy Huel is greater or less than the general population. As I’ve said before most Huel consumers I know aren’t Evey vegetarian.

I’m not sure but I bet they’d get a lot more customers if they started showing up at VegFest once pandemic madness clears. Those are really big events that get a lot of media coverage too.

(Marketing if you’re reading this and end up profiting from this advice, you’re welcome, and I accept thanks in the form of free coffee-flavoured goods.)

1 Like

like any of these kind of marks - they are licensed and require (constant) payment for their use - I would imagine they don’t feel it it is necessary or needed on products with tight margins.

im pretty sure that (in normal circumstances) they already attend trade fairs - I guess which ones depends on their exposure potential/marketing budget priorities.

But as they have a current registration for their products why not use it? You have to register the product not the company and they have registered a lot if not all of their products.