Huel usage following bariatric surgery

Does anyone have an opinion on using fuel 100% after bariatric surgery? Obviously volume wise it would need to be consumed in smaller and more frequent portions but nutritionally, what’s your view?

I don’t recall this being discussed in depth before so here’s hoping for a useful information rich thread. Can’t contribute directly, but here’s a link with some info that might serve to raise some of the relevant issues: https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/8/2/382/4558152 It has a section on post surgery diet progression & macro needs/issues.

Response below is written by James!

Huel is great to use if you’ve had gastric band or other bariatric surgery. As the transit time for food is quicker post surgery, some people experience rebound hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar levels). The ingredients in Huel are low glycaemic and ideal to reduce the risk of these symptoms. However, to be cautious, we recommend that you keep your servings of Huel smaller and spread through the day like you suggest; i.e. 5-6 small portions, rather than 3-4 larger servings. Obviously this depends on your requirements and whether you’re consuming Huel 100% of your nutrition.

WLS journey kicks off on 13 September. The dietitian I am working with has a preference for Huel both as a pre-op liver shrinking diet and initial fluid phase post-op. It was refreshing to hear a dietitian prefer that over slimfast and other brand meal replacement products (the days of milk only pre-op diets are long gone). I plan to keep this thread updated with blood test results (although I’ve no preliminary numbers to share), and effects/experiences through the pre and post operative process related to Huel.

3 Likes

Good to see a fellow Bypasser :sunglasses: had mine in 2013 went from 30 stone to 14 in just over a year, been maintaining since and just started using Huel this week myself to replace breakfast and lunch to ensure I’m getting better nutrition in my diet. So far no problems or unpleasant side affects. As for pre-op I did the LRD using slim fast at the time for 2 weeks, at the time the sweetness of the shakes everyday was getting a bit much and craved something savoury (warm cup of boviral was the best savoury and high protein fix I found helped) so Huel may be ideal in this sense as can vary the flavours more. Good luck the journey is tough but amazing :+1: