Huel version 2.0 is now live!

I am happy to see Huel is investigating what is best for a human and constantly striving to improve, congratulations.

I have some comments and questions about Huel 2.0.

1. Is there anything to keep in mind when transitioning from a diet of 100% Huel 1.2 to 100% Huel 2.0? Will it be a smooth transition?

2. There is a typo on the label for Huel 2.0 Unsweetened & Unflavored - it says “Fluoride (as Sodium Flride)”. The spelling of Sodium Fluoride is wrong.

3. The list of ingredients no longer mentions sources of Molybdenum and Selenium. Does this mean Huel 2.0 no longer adds Sodium Molybdate and Sodium Selenate, and instead gets these essential micronutrients from the other ingredients?

4. I worry a little about the salt content of Huel 2.0. The recommended upper limit of 6g/day (EU Reference Intake) is the maximum, not a target value. What is the reasoning for making it 6.4g/day, which is even higher than the maximum EU Reference Intake?

5. Is it something to worry about that the only source of vitamin B12 in Huel 2.0 is methylcobalamin? Here is copy from Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylcobalamin ):

“Methylcobalamin is not sufficient as a singular source of vitamin B12. Hydroxocobalamin and cyanocobalamin can both be split by the body into methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. Methylcobalamin on the other hand is not converted into adenosylcobalamin. Deficiency of adenosylcobalamin disturbs carbohydrate, fat and amino-acid metabolism, and hence interferes with the formation of myelin.[3] Thereby it is important to treat vitamin B12 deficiency with hydroxocobalamin or cyanocobalamin or a combination of adenosylcobalamin and methylcobalamin.[3]”

The source for this statement is:

Is it something to worry about that the only source of B12 in Huel 2.0 is methylcobalamin?

4 Likes