V3.0 is here!

Today is the big day that we release v3.0, our best Huel yet!

We’ve tweaked our formula so more of our vitamins and minerals come from whole ingredients. Like acerola cherries which are a natural source of vitamin C as well as a natural source of iodine from kelp and kombucha helping us out with some B vitamins. And there’s more:

• We’ve added probiotics, in addition to the already existing prebiotics, improved the taste with all natural flavours, as well as giving Huel a smoother texture a little added tapioca starch and sunflower lecithin for a silky smooth Huel every time.
  • If you’re on subscription then your existing sub will be updated automatically to v3.0

Head to our product page here to get yours
You can read more about the Principal Changes here!

Glycaemic index of v3.0
We have received a report back from our labs to confirm that Huel v3.0 Powder has a glycaemic index of 16 (low). As a comparison, our v2.3 powder had a GI of 27, which is also considered a low reading.

News on v2.3:

• Original v2.3 subscribers will remain subscribed to Original v2.3 and will be able to cancel and reactivate it, or remove original from an upcoming subscription and re-add it later on.
  • v2.3 will be available on an outlet page in almost all flavours - we’re looking to put this page live this week. Availability will vary across different flavours, gluten-free and professional. If we see a continued demand we may consider creating more - Julian will update
  • The price of Original v2.3 will remain the same. This will mean that if you’re currently subscribed to e.g. Original v2.3 and Chocolate v2.3, as of tomorrow that subscription will be changed to Original v2.3 (old price) and Chocolate v3.0 (new price).
  • Julian will update on future Original Huel and other v2.3 variety plans when he has the information

New serving size and scoop information
Our scoop has changed. We have increased the size of our scoop and reduced our recommended serving size. Have a read below and if you have any questions then just comment below.

Scoop size:
Our old scoops confused many, they contained ~38g (~152kcal) which wasn’t useful and didn’t relate to our serving size. So we sourced a scoop we reckon contains 50g (200kcal) – so it’s easier for you. If you have the old scoop don’t worry, you can still easily use it the same as you always have, just check out the instructions above.

*Serving size change:*⠀
We have reduced the serving size to 400kcal, which is conveniently two new scoops! It also makes sense - an RTD is 400kcal and a Bar is 200kcal #logic. All our pouches still contain 7000kcal, no matter how much they weigh.

But remember, this is only a recommendation, a serving is as much or as little as you want. There is a diagram here.

Any questions, just ask!⠀

10 Likes

where did the flavour samples pack go? I was waiting for 3.0 so I could order everything at once but can’t see it anywhere.

Hi @Tim_Huel, one thing that seems to be missing from all of the v3.0 announcement stuff I can find is what this means for dilution. Any changes? I mean if we’re supposed to be mixing 400kcal now where previously we were used to 500, is “typical” dilution now only 560ml (= 80% of 700ml, and curiously close to an imperial pint)?

Will there be a new one-pint shaker?

2 Likes

How is it possible to have a lower GI if it has tapioca in it? Are you a wizard?

4 Likes

As with non powdered foods, it’s the amount of food you eat that provides the calories, not the amount of water you drink. Plain water has 0 calories.

1 Like

Thanks for raising, I’ve updated the post to give information about new scoops and serving size changes. I’ve said there, but I’ll say again. You can add as much or as little water as you want, you don’t even need to measure - feel free to just make it your recommendations and add a bit more water if you need.

We’re pleased with the result! @JamesCollier is a wizard yes.

4 Likes

My guidelines and recipe

200 ml per scoop. But this is flexible

1 scoop 38gr UU + 200 ml (161kcal) = 250 ml 2 scoops 76 gr UU + 400 ml (332kcal) = 500 ml 3 scoops UU 114gr + 600 ml (482kcal) = 750 ml 4 scoops UU 152gr + 800 ml (644kcal) = 1 L 5 scoops UU 190gr + 1000 ml (805kcal) = 1,25 L 6 scoops UU 228 gr + 1140ml (966kcal) = 1,5 L

@JamesCollier

Could you explain how is it possible? We dont want to steal it, but as this is the 80% of my energy, I would be glad to know what happened to achieve a lower GI :wink:

Ouch! That stings. You’ve pretty low expectations of forum members, eh @Bee? ;-p

[pun intended btw, sorry]

2 Likes

Lol good pun :laughing:

Have you had reports back from the lab about the caffeine content? Thanks

@Tim_Huel I love some of those top tips:

If too thick add more water
If too thin add less water.
If it takes too long to drink, chug it down
If you drink it too quickly, sip it
If it’s too cold take it out of the fridge an hour before drinking
If it’s then too hot put it back in the fridge for 10 minutes
If then too cold, take it out for 5 minutes
If too hot put it back in for 3 minutes
If too cold take it out again for 90 seconds
If the fridge door falls off make a thick paste with Huel and water and glue it back on.
If the paste is too thick add more water
If the paste is too thin add less water
If the paste is just right let Goldilocks know.

15 Likes

I will carry on weighing mine as I am happy with 500 calories per shake as a meal size

Huel has several ingredients. Because GI relates to carbohydrate-containing foods, people often only think of GI in relation to carbs. However, other nutrients and ingredients affect GI, particularly fats which lower it. Tapioca flour is a very low inclusion and oats are bar far the largest. Also flaxseed has a decent carb content and is a low GI.

There’s a bunch of reasons why the GI figure could vary. For example:

• The MCT powder and sunflower oil powder ingredients are now sourced as higher concentration with less carrier. It’s possible that this has had an affect. We haven’t mentioned this in our v3.0 updates, as, quite honestly, it’s not very exciting to talk about!

• Have the acerola cherries had an affect? Doubtful, but it’s a different ingredient so entirely possible.

• There can be differences just based on the people that take part in the GI test. For example, there were small differences between Huel US v1.1 and Huel UK v2.3 yet the US v1.1 had a GI of 19 and the UK v2.3 had a GI of 27. The ingredients were only slightly different.

A low GI is anything below 55. if we were to do the test again, it’s entirely possible we’d get a slightly different GI value. Ultimately, this is a good result. So, as much as I want to be credited for a Hogwartesque-education, the lower GI value is just the way scientific tests go! :mage:

7 Likes

Thanks! Nice to know

I still can see you in an ad for Huel cooking. That would be great

Hey, looking forward to trying out the new powder! I’m just a bit confused by the high amount of Vitamin C (150 mg/1000 kcal). The national Finnish recommendation is 34 mg/1000 kcal, which is adjusted to be suitable for people at risk. They state 1000 mg as the safe daily limit. The articles you referenced on the Principal Changes page we’re not really convincing, as they mostly talked about safety instead of benefits. The paper that emphasized benefits was published in the Journal of alternative and complementary medicine, which sounds dubious at best.

This, coupled with your (marketing) emphasis on “being natural” makes me a bit worried. I’ve come to expect a scientific basis for everything Huel. Please don’t lose that :sweat:

I’ve also heard lots of claims of kombucha lowering the GI of other food it is eaten with. I can’t say whether this is true or just hype, but the same is said for vinegar and certainly in my own experience of testing my blood sugars after meals, vinegar really does seem to have a positive effect in this regard so I guess it’s possible with kombucha also.

Anyway, all that matters is that we can be confident it has a low GI and we don’t really need to pick it apart because we consume it as a product as a whole.

It’s interesting tho how wildly the test results can vary and makes me think that GI tests should probably be repeated a minimum number of times across a wide variety of test subjects, and the results averaged to be more meaningful (I don’t mean just for Huel, but for all foods, especially ones made up of numerous ingredients). Saying that tho, there will still be quite a large variation over seasons etc as the raw ingredients will vary naturally.

1 Like

How can it possibly be

When the ingredients state

You’re saying “Hey this is absolutely vegan! Except it might not be vegan at all!” Pick one. Vegan or not? Plants only or not?

It isn’t difficult to make sure kelp is clean, loads of vegan companies manage it.

I wish I had paid attention sooner and stocked up on V2.3 - allergic to fish and shellfish :frowning: what are your tolerances? 1 fish bit per bag? I mean it’s clearly false advertising on the vegan part but if there was any idea of how likely it was to contain fish or how much fish could reasonably be in it, people with mild allergies could at least have a better idea.

I feel sorry for all the vegans who trust the advertising but didn’t read all the ingredients before ordering :confused:

Is V2.3 still going to be offered?

1 Like

I still think “0 animal products” can’t be used but yeah with the info you provided I suppose they could say vegan as it’s intended to be vegan but still seems a massive grey area on their wording choices and technicalities.

Interested to see how likely and what % could be expected. I’m okay with trace amounts but I’d rather know worst case how much could be in it if that makes sense?

1 Like