Huel version 2.0 is now live!

Being generally an unhealthy eater for most of my life and trying to use Huel to redress the balance it feels 0.4g is such a small number to get worked up about - I don’t mean to be flippant as such just really shocked that 0.4g is such a big thing…

Just looked at Walkers ready salted crisps and I think they contain 0.4g of salt - is that right the extra over the RDA people are quoting is a bag of ready salted crisps a day?

ps for clarity… it doesn’t bother me that much - however glad people are challenging but keep it nice and patient…

@Bounderboy If you read the thread, you will see that it is not 0.4g but 2.65g above RDA. To put it in other units, it is like eating almost extra 7 salted crisps packets per day (if we take one packet of salted crisps having 0.4g of salt). In total, 6.4g of salt in Huel would be equivalent to eating 16 packets of salted crisps per day.

4 Likes

I think James just comes up with the guidelines he would like for the manufacturer of Huel. Then the manufacturers food scientists create the actual product.

We are not talking to the food scientists on this forum hence the silence and vague responses regarding anything asked, such as “there is nothing to worry about” or “gum arabic was a good call” obviously unaware it is not part of the product anymore. These aren’t the responses a scientist would use, or the techs who are making Huel, they dont need to look into what they have done to answer basic questions, they would just reply with the reasons for their actions.

When asked why add fluoride the answer should have been given, same with salt.

Not “I am looking into the answer” thats ridiculous. Or posting that there are 8 billion people on the planet and most dont have fluoridated water etc etc when they aren’t the target market. Thats a fob off.

I very much doubt that anyone on the Huel team suggested to add fluoride, the manufacturers did this on their own and Huel went along with it, because they are not qualified to question it. Which is indicated by their lack of reasoning as to why these things have taken place. They don’t have the answers.

I think people on this forum believe James is a scientist coming up with Huel powder and he sends a note the backroom and the staff start mixing chemicals to produce Huel and then send it out. That isnt the case. Although Huel is marketed to give that impression.

2 Likes

Very much untrue. James formulates it all and is behind it all. There aren’t any food scientists hiding in the backgrounds I’m sorry to say. We come up with the formula, decide on it and then tell our manufacturers to make it. They don’t edit or have any say in the formula.

The addition of fluoride and salt all came from within the Huel team. To suggest James with over 25 years of experience with nutrition isn’t qualified to make these claims really isn’t fair to him.

I’m sorry you think James has been unresponsive. He has answered a lot of questions, but he can’t answer all questions immediately. As we speak he is working on looking into these concerns, working on developing Huel as well as also working on other projects we have, whilst also running and being the co-founder of Huel.

4 Likes

That’s good to hear James is working on the concerns. Is there any chance we can have an official response on the salt conten? I’m not so concerned about the fluoride because I’ve been consuming it all of my life through water and toothpaste and I’m still alive. However salt is a real concern to me because my family has a very bad history of too much salt intake and it’s definitely not something I want to overdose on because Huel has too much added.

If you read through the thread, you will see that we already have an official response to the salt content.

People are trying to be patient, but it is understandable that some are less patient than others, because they see their stockpile of Huel v1.2 decrease every day, with no hints at Huel v2.1 coming any time soon.

Fair enough.

James hasnt answered any questions, he has fobbed people off with he will look into what he should be able to answer immediately.

You can see why I wouldnt think what you have described was the case, when James for example said Gum Arabic was a good call when “he” removed it from the product (with no explanation) Or when he has been asked why “he” has done something he doeesnt give an answer, just he is looking into it.

If a physicist says he is working on plancks constant and I ask him what Plancks constant is he will reply 6.62607004×10-34 m2 kg/s, he wont say hes looking into it or dont worry about it, or everything is fine.

He has responded, but he has responded with subterfuge rather than facts. That is why people keep asking the exact same questions and getting the same response, now your are saying he is "[quote=“GulliverOfficialHuel, post:248, topic:3254”]
working on looking into these concerns
[/quote]

So he is not at the stage of looking into this yet, just working on looking into it and working on developing Huel (surely the same thing?) and developing other projects Huel has (same thing) and running Huel (same thing)

Everything James does is Huel related and bottom of the list is respond to his actions within Huel. Not I might add something he should need to “look into” for days, he surely should be able to rattle off a reply that contains answers rather than timeframes.

Well I haven’t seen a valid official response to anything. Not one that makes sense.

It is not a matter of patience. I ordered V2 and have received it yesterday.

It is a matter of coming here and seeing the same questions being asked over and over and seeing the same lack of response or inane replies being posted.

So the only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that they are incapably of replying.

Cancelled my subscription this morning, the new consistency and salty taste is just too unappealing for me, I don’t enjoy it anymore. Will wait and see if/when V2.2 or V3 comes out. To return items can you do just the unopened ones?

2 Likes

I agree that the salt content should be lowered to (at most) 3.75g per day. In fact, if I had my way there would be no added salt. Salt is nearly the easiest thing to add directly to Huel or to obtain by other foods in your diet.

I won’t be ordering any more Huel unless, in a future version, the salt content is at a more reasonable range. I’ve switched to Nutberg for the time being. Its definitely more expensive, but since I only get about 750-1000 kcal of daily calorie intake from -lents it isn’t so bad.

3 Likes

One day, there will be a competitor who offers: Unflavored Unsweetened Unsalted Unfluoridated Soy-free Gluten-free baseline version + various addon packs (salt, flavor, toothpaste, etc.). Market opportunity?

6 Likes

They are out of stock till next month but everything about that product looks good awesome!

1 Like

Yes, seems to be a pretty good alternative, but… From Czech Republic like MyMana… No Paypal… More expensive… No stock for now… and what…No Maltodextrin?! :smiley: I am running out of v1.2, and a bit disappointed about the v2 although I’ve already bought only 2 bags of it. If there is no change after that, don’t think I will buy more. Huel was for me the best alternative to Soylent before v2, but I’m not a scientist :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 for Nutberg (in the interim until V2.1 Huel anyway). They get very close to the whole foods ingredients approach, save for the protein isolates and the fortified nutritional yeast. I think their pricing will come down significantly - I think they are bootstrapping the company themselves.

Edit: The taste is reasonably good too. A bit thicker than Huel. In case everyone doesn’t know, they include a sachet of brown sugar with every pack. I’ve suggested to them that they offer a sachet of iodized salt too.

1 Like

Absolutely - consolidate the Huel formula into a core formula that works for 99% of individuals. Provide a range of optional extras to meet the personal nutrition needs - just like they do with the flavour packs currently for individual tastes! I can’t understand why they haven’t broken out the Vanilla version into it’s own flavour pack yet.

1 Like

I think the Huel guys definitely know they made a few slip-ups with v2.0 and won’t publicly say that and make amendments until the 2.0 stock has been shifted.

I also don’t think anyone should see the criticism as a bad thing - shows people actually care about the product and want to keep using it.

9 Likes

Yeah I want to keep using it. But we don’t know if they will ever change it back or how long this might take. I’m on my last 2 bags of 1.2 and at this rate it looks like Joylent are getting a new customer.

2 Likes

Guys…

What. The. Hell. Happened?

Just got a month-load of the new v2.0 U&U through and genuinely thought there had been a mistake with the batch.

I’m not so concerned with the minutiae of the nutritional content, but the UX shift from v1.2 to v2.0 is a massive downgrade. The stuff is now just as gloopy and unshakable as the long-abandoned vanilla project.

V1.2 used to fly down no problem. Tasty, fairly thin in texture and smooth after just a few shakes of the flask. Now it’s a real struggle to finish each meal of v2.0; a gruelling ordeal of gelatinous lumps and artificial thickness.

Please, for the love of god, bring back v1.2. Otherwise I will be forced to abandon the legitimate Huel community and become part of a grey market underground, where dispossessed Huelers pay massive premiums for the last remaining vestiges of v1.2 and risk life and limb with dangerous home-brews.

Or, you know, go to a competitor.

14 Likes

That’s not good :frowning: I’m about to put in an order for another 4 bags worth soon and I hope I can get through it!

1 Like

May be best to try a sample pouch first, I’m struggling to finish my V2

1 Like