Huel version 2.0 is now live!

You are dead right. It’s even funny to consider how their attitude to salt has changed over the course of a year - Sodium content in Huel.

1 Like

So, need to order some more Huel - do I hold off, is there a reformulation of the reformulation? @Gulliver_Huel

Cyanocobalamin has been added to Huel in the mean time, but otherwise there are no reformulations imminent.

1 Like

So the salt and the fluoride are going to be here for at least the next couple of weeks?

OK put in the order, though I have to state I think adding salt an odd decision and adding fluoride just … well I can’t think of the right words - pointless, just plain odd, an act of randomness… Very strange. Did anyone ask for fluoride?

3 Likes

Too many complaints, I’ve suspended my subscription for the immediate future. Hope huel takes note and addresses all of the concerns. As Gulliver pointed out, v2.0 isn’t permanent.

A rationale for some of these apparent backward steps would be welcome.

2 Likes

I’m really disappointed with the decision to add Sodium Fluoride to the formula. I’m not planning to use Huel until this issue is resolved. Also, why Sodium Fluoride wasn’t mentioned in the email about the changes? I always thought that Huel is an optimal solution but as I see, this is not the case anymore.

4 Likes

Perhaps it’s easy to make an unsalted version and a salted version. It seems to me it should be easy to modify that without that necessarily being an alteration to the formula. I’m not sure why we are going with 6.5g when the daily recommended intake is no more than 6g (This is UK values, I can’t find WHO gdas but I think Huel is based in UK recommendations). Now I really don’t believe it’s an issue except I believe there’s a good section of the population (especially elder) who are recommended to have less salt, so they should have that option available.
I also think if I’m 2/3rds huel, 1/3rd cooking food it’d be nice to know I can freely use salt in my cooking without getting all hypertensive in the long term.

About the fluoride criticism, I keep reading all these comments and reading about the whole thing and I can’t come out with a reason why some of you are being so adamant. I prefer to have it than not to have it, it’s good for you.

About the fluoride criticism, I keep reading all these comments and reading about the whole thing and I can’t come out with a reason why some of you are being so adamant. I prefer to have it than not to have it, it’s good for you.

I can think of at least 40 scientific papers addressing this problem so I recommend doing some research.

2 Likes

I do like having the gum arabic. I like being able to make a thick shake. One thing I don’t like about the unflavoured version (apart from the lack of flavour) is how thin it is.

Do you think there are at least 40 scientific papers that reach the opposite conclusion? I believe there are.

I grew up drinking fluoridated water and I never suffered any ill effects.

After 36 years of life, I don’t have any fillings in any of my teeth, as I’ve never developed a single cavity in any of my teeth. My belief is that fluoride was a factor, together with good oral healthcare in general. How are your teeth by the way – do you have any fillings?

No I don’t have any fillings. And I never used a fluorized toothpaste. My belief is that Huel is supposed to be an optimal solution and adding Sodium Fluoride simply contradicts that idea. But, this is only my opinion.

1 Like

How about any missing teeth? Ever had any dental work done, apart from simple cleaning?

It’s not often I encounter another person who has perfect teeth, that has never required any dental work their whole life.

If fluoride is not the key, we should try to figure out what we have in common. We could make a fortune. Most people have bad teeth.

Well I would prefer it to what it has been replaced by.

1 Like

Some light reading for everyone

http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/20520/1/MedicalGeology_Fluoride2013.pdf
Note how the tiny the threshold between dental health and dental fluorosis/skeletal fluorosis is. It is VERY easy to exceed these concentrations when fluoride is present in drinking water and in food consumed on a daily basis.

More from the World Health Organisation on fluoride in food. You can see from this that having added fluoride in a high protein foodstuff may produce potential hazards…

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/publications/fluoride_drinking_water_full.pdf
2.2.3 Food and beverages other than water
Vegetables and fruits normally have low levels of fluoride (e.g. 0.1–0.4 mg kg–1)and thus typically contribute little to exposure. However, higher levels of fluoride have been found in barley and rice (e.g. about 2 mg kg–1) and taro, yams and cassava been found to contain relatively high fluoride levels (Murray, 1986).In general, the levels of fluoride in meat (0.2–1.0 mg kg–1) and fish(2–5 mg kg–1) are relatively low. However, fluoride accumulates in bone and the bones of canned fish, such as salmon and sardines, which are also eaten. Fish protein concentrates may contain up to 370 mg kg–1fluoride. However, even with a relatively high fish consumption in a mixed diet, the fluoride intake from fish alone would seldom exceed 0.2 mg F–per day (Murray, 1986).Milk typically contains low levels of fluoride, e.g. 0.02 mg l–1in human breast milk and 0.02–0.05 mg l–1in cow’s milk (Murray, 1986). Thus milk is usually responsible for only a small fraction of total fluoride exposure.Tea leaves contain high levels of fluoride (up to 400 mg kg–1dry weight).Fluoride exposure due to the ingestion of tea has been reported to range from0.04 mg to 2.7 mg per person per day (Murray, 1986). However, some Tibetans have been observed to ingest large amounts of fluoride (e.g. 14 mg per day) due to the consumption of brick tea as a beverage (Caoet al., 1997). This type of tea is made from older leaves and contains much higher levels of fluoride than standard teas such as black or green tea.It is also possible that other forms of tea will contribute to fluoride uptake,although data appear to relatively limited. In one study 34 per cent of the fluoride in black tea was shown to remain in the oral cavity but no data were presented on absorption from the gastrointestinal tract (Simpson et al., 2001). The fluoride content of a range of different foods is given in Tables 2.1 and 2.2.In general, Western-style diets appear to contribute only slightly to the total daily fluoride intake (Murray, 1986).

However, not everyone eats such a diet.The following examples are exceptional to the general rule:
+Trona (Na3H(CO3)2.2H2O) is used in cooking in the United Republic of Tanzania to tenderize certain vegetables. Fluoride contaminated trona has significantly contributed to the prevalence and severity of dental fluorosis in the United Republic of Tanzania (Mabelya, 1997).
+Consumption of high fluoride brick tea as a beverage (Caoet al., 1997).
+In some regions in China significant dietary fluoride exposure occurs due to the consumption of maize polluted by fly ash generated by the burning of high fluoride coal (Chen, 1991).
+The composition of the diet influences retention of dietary fluoride (Whitford, 1997). High protein diets (e.g. Western-style diet) result in a more acidic urine than a vegetarian diet. A more acidic urine results in increased retention of fluoride due to decreased renal excretion. However, at present,the effects of a vegetarian vs. a non-vegetarian diet on the effects produced by fluoride in different regions of the world are unclear.

2 Likes

I wanted to buy my second batch of huel, but with these changes I have to wait for the 2.1 version… Isnt there any timeline when changes regarding fluoride and salt will be reconsidered?

I am using huel to bulk and have consumed 3000 kcals daily from it. I am not sure if the huel team is aware of this, but the fluoride addition has essentially caused huel to be dangerous for consumption in the case one wants to consume significantly more than 2000 kcals daily from it. 3000 kcals huel diet results in 5,25 mg of fluoride daily, combined with the fact that I am an avid tea drinker which brings me daily over 7 mg of fluoride. In the WHO recommendations you can find: http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/chemicals/fluoridesum.pdf - there is suggestive evidence of an increased risk of effects on the skeleton at total fluoride intakes above about 6 mg/day.

Wasnt the basic idea of Huel that you can easily bulk/lose weight by adjusting the amount of Huel consumed? Thats what I have received in the huel newsletter after my first purchase, the fluoride addition effectively makes this to be a lie in the case of bulking.

I believe Huels target group are health conscious people to which the usage of fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash should come naturally. I use both daily and anyone who buys Huel should be easily able to afford fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash too. So I really dont get the reason for adding fluoride, as the only explanation I have read from the Huel team so far was that in order to make it nutritionally complete they felt that adding fluoride was necessary. Not sure what I have to understand under that, sounds like empty words to me.

5 Likes

I’m assuming @JamesCollier is giving some serious thought to the salt and fluoride issues, though, right? Surely enough people here have voiced their dissatisfaction with salt and/or fluoride to warrant the quick release in the next few weeks of a v2.1 without these in? Because my guess is, if a competitor was to set up shop tomorrow with a meal drink product very similar to Huel but without fluoride or added salt, they would very quickly gain a whole bunch of customers from here.

6 Likes

No one is saying they don’t want fluoride. Everyone is saying they already receive the RDI of fluoride though their water, and they don’t want extra fluoride added.

6 Likes

What does this mean?

v2 Huel is the same as v1.2 only Cyanocobalamin has been altered or?

Thanks for your continued feedback guys. Rest assured, I’m looking at all the few issues raised in this thread; however, I’m looking at them objectively.

The fluoride is of no health concern and there is simply no need to worry.

The addition of sea salt was necessary to bring sodium requirements up to minimum amounts. However, I will, as above, consider all angles of evidence - and justify myself - when I review the amount of inclusion, even though the current amount included is v small.

4 Likes