Huel vs GlycoGenesis

Can somebody do a comparison between Huel and GlycoGenesis?

Nutrition aside, Iā€™ll probably come back as soon as my order arrives. Inā€¦ I donā€™t know, a month or so :slight_smile:

Weā€™ll see. @IcyElemental can probably answer any questions until then. Itā€™s his product.

Yeah, Iā€™m happy to answer any questions, but Iā€™m also very aware this is the Huel forum and as such, Iā€™m somewhat resistant to the idea of promoting my product over Huel. I feel they serve different niches, but it still feelsā€¦ uncivil.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve not tried it, had never heard of it, but Iā€™ve ordered a small parcel and will give feedback once Iā€™ve tried it.

Your product, IcyElemental? Is this something you have created?

Yeah, weā€™ve been working on it a while, this thread was started the day we announced our pre-order period.

I asked for this comparison because on this page:

There exist comparisons between Huel and Soylent and Joylent, so it seems appropriate to ask for comparisons here.

Icy am I missing something? The unflavoured is only 440 calories per day? https://www.genesisfoodsolutions.com/unflavoured-hypo-keto-ingredients

Then you have to add 1500 calories from olive oil?! Doesnā€™t sound healthy to me all those cals from oil!

Youā€™re looking at the ketogenic product we offer. Itā€™s extremely hard to find a keto-friendly source of powdered fats.

Regarding the oil content though, fat (specifically monounsaturated, which is what olive oil is full of) is probably the best form of any of the macronutrients to have a lot of. Too many carbohydrates leads to insulin resistance, whilst too much protein can cause kidney damage. Too much polyunsaturated fat can easily raise your risk for various cancers and other diseases (as well as inflammation), as polyunsaturated fats are at very high risk for oxidation. Monounsaturated fat is extremely healthy and isnā€™t prone to oxidation, whilst saturated fat, whilst not prone to oxidation, may raise risk of some diseases - recent evidence suggests not, but some people wish to avoid it anyway.

Fat keeps you satiated for a long time, and does not have many downsides (the old opinion that a high dietary fat content is more likely to make you gain fat at an equal caloric intake is simply untrue).

However, as I mentioned at the start, thatā€™s our ketogenic product, KetoGenesis. GlycoGenesis, which is what OP is referring to, is our new product, and it contains ~2000 kcal per day for all flavours. We havenā€™t yet released a hypoallergenic version like with KetoGenesis (we are working on it), but all information for our standard, premium and vegan flavours of GlycoGenesis can be seen here.

1 Like

Thanks man

1 Like

My dream product: Organic oats! Gluten, milk, soy free. 2k + all the vits and minerals.

Sounds very similar to Huelā€™s gluten-free option other than requiring organic oats! I had a browse of the meal replacements I can think of and none seemed to quite tick all the boxes - itā€™s the organic oats thatā€™s holding some back. Bertrand vegan fulfils the gluten, milk and soy free requirement, along with the vitamins and minerals, but the oats donā€™t seem to be organic and itā€™s at 2119 calories per day, not 2000. I think for now Huelā€™s gluten-free option is closest. Weā€™ll also be releasing a gluten-free option with time, but Iā€™ll have to look into organic oats - I suspect theyā€™re a lot more expensive and may not mix quite as well.

1 Like

Yep! Iā€™m eating the good stuff at the moment, organic steel cut. Sometimes double the price at retail though! Iā€™d go back to having 1 or 2 huel type meals per day if the product used organic oats, hate pesticides. The expense puts the manufacturers off offering it I suppose as it effects their ROI but what happened to economies of scale and all that :slight_smile: There may not be a market for it though if itā€™s just me haha.

Itā€™s worth noting that ā€˜organicā€™ doesnā€™t mean no pesticides are being used - thereā€™s just a more restrictive list of those that can be used.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a market, which is why the likes of meal replacements like Ambronite and Ample have sprung up - theyā€™re just currently extremely expensive.

1 Like

hey

lol, ignore all Iā€™ve typed below. I realise this thread isnā€™t about KetoGenesys as I initially misread/assumed (oartly because another poster also got mixed up and brought up the keto product! :joy: ), but the same company now has a more traditional carb based shake as well, and that is the product that the OP is referring to!

Just to clear up for the original poster, theyā€™re two very different products and not really comparable, though on the surface they are both powdered foods.

Huel follows what has been considered for the past 30 or 40 years to be a ā€œstandardā€ healthy diet, where you eat a balanced amount of protein and some healthy fats, but most of your energy comes from carbohydrates. With a ā€˜foodā€™ diet this would be bread, pasta, potatoes, cereals etc etc.

However there is a community of people that believe that this isnā€™t the healthiest way to live/eat, and that our diet these days has become so full of hidden sugars these days that its extremely unhealthy, even for people who think theyā€™re making decent choices.

They believe that itā€™s much better to have a diet where the vast majority of your calories comes from the healthy fats. By doing this, eating mostly healthy fats and pretty much no carbohydrates, your body switches into ketosis where it burns fats as itā€™s primary energy source rather than carbohydrates. It gives a much more even release of energy throughout the day, without the spikes of energy followed by crashes that come from eating lots of carbs and the resulting insulin spike that follows as your body deals with the sugar, and they believe it also makes you feel full for longer, leading to less snacking and better weight control, and has a lot of health benefits.

(Though of course, for people who do decide to stick to a traditional carbohydrate diet, huel can be a much better source of food than a huge portion of snacks and what you find in supermarkets etc, as it has a pretty low glycemic index figure and is much better at controlling insulin spikes etc than a lot of pre-packaged food and stuff. Itā€™s also better than a lot of other brands of shakes in that way too, as it uses almost exclusively oats for its carbohydrate portion and doesnā€™t use Maltodextrin, a type of sugar, as a big part of that the way many other shakes do.)

Thereā€™s lots of science on both sides of the fence and lots of people that would argue both ways were best, so really if people are interested itā€™s something for them to research and try and see if it works for their body and for their lifestyle.

So in terms of these products, while you could compare them superficially on their flavour, how much you enjoy drinking them etc, they have very different diet goals so itā€™s hard to make a more in-depth comparison.

I saw this after I posted my comparison. Here is my comparison again for you -
OK, Iā€™ve got my GlycoGenesis and here is my opinion:

Taste - GlycoGenesis is absolutely scrumptious. I got the vanilla creme and it is delicious, but I love sweet, strongly flavoured things. With vanilla Huel I always need to add a heaped teaspoon of good quality instant coffee and a dash of Stevia to boost up the flavour. Knowing me, I wouldnā€™t dare try Huel UU.

Texture - GlycoGenesis is liquid so the only texture is the tiny dots of brown which I assume is roughage. I found Joylent chalky and dry but I didnā€™t experience that with either Huel or GlycoGenesis

Thickness / viscosity - GlycoGenesis is liquid, about the same thickness as plain skim fat free milk. Huel is more like a milkhake, a lot thicker than GlycoGenesis.

Satiety - Iā€™m still a bit hungry after having GlycoGenesis. I waited half an hour just in case fullness is a delayed reaction, or in case it works like Physalis husks, that swell in your stomach or something. It doesnā€™t fill me up and I find I need to eat some food. Huel fills me up completely and Iā€™m not hungry again for 5 or 6 hours.

On what amount of Huel vs what amount of GG? Itā€™s been reported that Huel is a lot more filling now that theyā€™ve upped the thickness. On the earlier Huel, satiety would last around 3-4 hours for me on 100g/400cal.

The recommended dose for a meal with both products. Iā€™m comparing one sachet of GlycoGenesis mixed with 400 ml of water and 100 grams (3 scoops) of Huel mixed with 400 ml of water. I feel full and well fed immediately after drinking my Huel meal, and I remain feeling fed for at least 6 hours (but I am a small eater). After my GlycoGenesis I did not feel full. I waited half an hour and still did not feel full. I wasnā€™t starving hungry, LOL, I just felt like I need something more. After an hour I cooked and ate some Salmon and then felt full. The second time I boiled up a cup of frozen mixed veg and had that, and then I felt full. Thatā€™s what I do now after my GlycoGenesis meal, I cook up a cup of frozen mixed veg to have after.