Ideal Huel formula: If money was no object

Hi Huelers,

I was wondering the other day if the financial constraints were removed and the final price of Huel is irrelevant, what the ideal ingredients or ingredient sources of Huel would be? I’m not suggesting that Huel should increase its price or that the current formula is lacking something or anything like that. I want just a theoretical approach on what this ideal formula might be.

Thanks.

A wider range of protein, carb and fat sources. But I can’t think of specifically what they should be.

I’d like to think the guys and gals at Huel have created the best product feasible, without too much regard for how much it costs to make. FWIW, the retail price is very fair for the product we get (which actually saves you time and money in the long run).

2 Likes

I already add the Neuoprtropic Alpha Brain, you could add that and some cordyceps mushroom for increased athletic ability. Add some CBD oil for improved everything and maybe some more omega oils maybe.

Lots of unknown words in your comment, I’ve googled them, some seem over-hyped (e.g. Alpha Brain) or even illegal(?) (e.g. CBD oil) while other seem legit (e.g. cordyceps). I’m completely illiterate when it comes to nootropics and stuff so I don’t know, I may need some “official” or mainstream confirmation of their effectiveness.

1 Like

Organic ingredients and with methylcobalamin rather than cyanocobalamin.

2 Likes

Gluten free! Oh wait… :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know what? I actually love that the list of ingredients is pretty short - makes it feel more real, somehow :slight_smile:

Vitamin D3 instead D2, and B12 methylcobalamin

2 Likes

L-Glucose - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-Glucose

Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 (complementary)

Curcumin and Piperine (complementary)

Nitrate-rich plant extract, e.g. Beetroot, Arugula etc.

1 Like

I have a noticeable difference when taking Alpha brain, mainly with regards to my dyslexia, i stutter less, im more coordinated, more eloquent etc, et. Obviously that wont be for every one. I cant speculate on every ones experience but i know there are studies on Nurotropics and they are legit from what ive found out.

CBD oil is illegal in the UK despite not being a psychotropic compound, however since this is a hypothetical thread i thought id add it in hehe.

Thaumatin is a protein which humans perceive to be very sweet tasting (it is not a sugar or artificial sweetener). For more information see here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaumatin.

It would be great if someone working at Huel could contact this UK distributor - http://www.thaumatin.com/thaumatin-contacts - perhaps to acquire a sample to experiment with adding to a Huel meal or two.

Edit: Thaumatin isn’t the only tasty protein. And people are working on new ones - http://www.milisbio.com/.

1 Like

Making it less irritating to my gut!

Lower carbs higher fat.

Maybe more anti inflamatories like turmeric /curcumin.

Although maybe it’s got enough already?

Why are some people saying methylcobalamin would be better than cyanocobalamin? The latter is the form that has been studied most extensively.

If you’re worried about the cyanide content of cyanocobalamin, then remember than the dose makes the poison - there is way more cyanide occurring naturally in an apple than in the cyanocobalamin they add to Huel.

1 Like

I’d prefer more protein and fat with less carbs but other than that the product is pretty solid. Personally given my dietary restrictions boil down to “anything not fast enough to escape my cavernous maw” I’d quite like one with a whey protein base but that’s selfish as there’s a whole lot of people (veggies, vegans, the lactose intolerant etc etc) who would then be unable to use Huel, which kind of defeats the object of having a replacement for everyone.

Some copypasta (from https://ukcbd.com/education/ ) :

"Our CBD rich, hemp oil products are legal to consume, sell, and possess both here in the UK and in many other countries around the world.
CBD rich hemp oil is a dietary, superfood ingredient that is permitted for use in, or as a dietary, food supplement.
It is illegal in the UK to make ANY medicinal claims or give medical advise regarding Cannabidiol, unless you are licensed by the MHRA.
Legal industrial hemp products, like our CBD oils, that have been imported and processed legally and are being sold in the correct way, through the proper means, are exempt from the cannabis and THC laws in ‘Schedule I of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971’. Cannabidiol it’s self, is not listed in the Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2001. "

1 Like

Just seen this Kimera Koffee which is “Infused with Nootropics” so it is possible.

More diversity of fibre. Addition of Fructans like Inulin would be great for example.

I don’t think Huel will add Inulin because it is a FODMAP:

1 Like

You learn something new everyday. Thanks. Huel really runs into some strict design restrictions by being vegan/plant-based and by tending towards hypo-allergenic ingredients. Still the point still stands that I’d like to see increased attention to fibre science (which in fairness they seem to be keeping abreast of) and consequently of gut microbiome nutrition/health.

Not all fibres are created equal and the two primary sources in Huel are from oats and flaxseed. I don’t know if this is varied enough, but I will read further to back this up.

Edit: Are Flaxseeds/Linseeds not high-FODMAP? I can’t find a conclusive answer.