One week in - life changing?

Hi all,

I’ve struggled to maintain my weight over the past two years. I went from being an outdoor instructor, active for up to 12 hours per day and regularly eating 4000-5000 calories to maintain my weight, to working as a driver - potentially one of the least active jobs in the world - I don’t even have an office to walk around!

After 5 years of eating so much and not having to worry about my weight it became very difficult to adjust to my new levels of (in)activity. Even with fairly regularly exercise, I found it difficult to cut my diet to what seems to be just under half the calories I used to eat in order to not gain weight. Long story short, I gained 4 stone (25kg) in the past 2 years.

I’ve tried all sorts of diets, but I’m a notoriously bad cook and ended up cooking very carb heavy meals that were not very nutritious. I tried ‘healthier’ diets but didn’t enjoy them and found them hard to stick to.

8 days ago I received my first bag of Huel, and I’ve been around 80% Huel since then. The mixture took a couple of days to get used to but I now absolutely love the flavours - I look forward to them every day and they are truly delicious. I feel like I am drinking a Frappuccino but it’s actually good for me! Vanilla with the Salted Caramel flavour boost is truly delicious, Chocolate with a bit of cocoa powder or Coffee made with some cold brew are my absolute favourites.

To have found a diet that tastes great, that I enjoy consuming, and is giving me immediate results, is something I never thought would happen. In the past week I’ve already lost 1.5kg, eating 1500kcal per day, or a bit more if I exercise. When I tried to eat 1500kcal of my ‘normal food’ diet, I felt tired, sluggish and my energy levels were extremely low. When I eat 1500kcal of Huel, I feel better than I ever did eating 2500kcal of ‘normal food’! This simple fact is honestly mind blowing to me - clearly I was so undernourished before that no matter how many calories I ate I was still not giving my body everything it needed.

I’ve never been a big foodie, and I tended to eat the same meals anyway, so I think the flavours Huel provides will be more than enough to keep me satisfied. Huel is like a magic bullet for me and even once I have lost the weight I want to lose, I can see that Huel will be a part of my life for a long time. I feel like I’ve started a new chapter and my friends are already sick to death of me talking about it.

Thank you so much, Huel!

11 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out about your Huel journey and welcome to the forum!

It’s incredible to read the change switching to Huel has made for you and I’m especially pleased to hear about your energy levels increasing.

Oh my friends got sick of me talking about Huel a long time ago :joy:

Thank you again for sharing your experience, I can’t wait to hear more from you about how you’re getting on. If there is ever anything we can do to help, please let us know.

If you’re short of calories there will be negative effects in the long term. Experienced that myself - first you feel great when fasting, but after some time you feel like crap. First I was enthusiastic like you, but after some time it seemed relative. My advice is to get enough calories, even if it is more difficult in a liquid diet than with a conventional one.

Getting calories has never been difficult for me. I don’t need to find them, they find me. Anytime someone around me would tell me they lost weight I would tell them not to worry, I would probably find it for them.

3 Likes

Like it Simoof!

I echo what wickit wrote, three weeks in and I can’t understand what took me so long to get started. It’s really changed the way I think about food. Huel is the base, and ‘trad’ food is an extra and a treat. I’m finding I’m much more careful about what I choose to cook… No more junk! It’s all good.

1 Like

I totally see this. For me it’s about allowing the mental space and the time to enjoy cooking in a way I couldn’t when I had to prepare 3 meals a day. Great to have you here :heart_eyes: