Pls make unsalted version

Interesting, I just came on here out of curiosity having sent feedback/complaints on v2 the other day. Glad I’m not the only one!
I only have the unsweetened but to me v2 was super salty, very much like ready-salted crisps and I’m struggling to have it at all let alone 100% on it so I’ve cancelled for now. From the short of amount of intake my craving for things salty went up too and although that could just be me, I started to make some serious and substantial recovery with my IBD on v1.2 so I’m a bit devastated (2.1 sounds promising). Anyone with IBS and IBD will know that changes to how you feel can be instantaneously quick or day & night when it comes to food & drink.

Also, the consistency is definitely strange in my first opened v2 bag, I get these gloopy powered ball/lumps forming all the time. You can shake it madly for a long while and they’ll still form it’s pretty strange; NEVER had anything like it in v1.2 or any powered type drink, you can squish them and there is resistance…they don’t seem too soluble.

1 Like

I don’t have them to hand but I had a look the other day and I think they were 2415 and 2430, one was vanilla and the other was U&U.

I’m in a similar position. Would be great if you could give us a very rough idea please @JamesCollier ?

1 Like

How many people complaining about the salt content are overweight and/or don’t do any exercise? You do realize you need salt in your diet to prevent hyponatremia and the RDA amount for people that exercise more than 30 minutes daily is much higher?

So what of the people who are overweight and using huel to try and lose weight and get fitter, do they have to put up with higher salt levels in the mean time?
What of the healthy weight people who are on medically required low sodium diets who turned to huel as a low sodium food?
Do they just suck it up and risk their health or are they forced to look elsewhere?

Huel isn’t designed for only though who are a healthy weight and those who work out. It’s designed for everyone, so aiming it at just those who workout is cutting off a large part of the market. People who require more salt per day can add their own, those who don’t are unable to remove it if it is already in the huel.

What do you think salt does? I think you’re confused. Salt is an electrolyte. You lose it when you sweat (so if anything, I’d say keep the salted version in summer!). You lose even more so when you exercise in the heat too. Salt doesn’t make you fat. You will only get water retention. Solution - drink more water. The only people complaining about salt must be sitting on their butts all day and even then it’s not as “toxic” or “dangerous” as people think. Well, no more dangerous than not exercising.

Huel isn’t a medicine. People on low sodium diets through their GP aren’t prescribed Huel. They make up a tiny portion of the population.

No offence but Huel is marketed as a food replacement. If you have to get out the salt shaker to brew up a bottle of Huel then it defeats the point. I’ve got no issue with making a “low sodium” version, like they do with the gluten free version. But completely changing the original blend to cater to a minority isn’t the right move.

3 Likes

I am aware of what salt is and does. It also in high quantities can cause issues with blood pressure. Someone drinking huel and eating food (not everyone is on 100% Huel) could easily go over RDA for sodium. This is not good. Someone who is having a rest day and not working out could end up over the RDA for sodium. This is not good. The level needs to be brought down, or have separate salt portions added to the package for people to add themselves, or just have the recommendation to add your own salt if you want it. There are plenty of ways to make sure you get enough sodium in your diet, but not many ways to reduce it if you have 1.3g per 100g of Huel, who has time to do the maths on that if you want to combine Huel with other food?

I am complaining about the salt content. I am overweight and unfit, but I do not sit on my butt all day. I did the great north run on Sunday, walked 3 miles the day after, and 2.5 miles today, tomorrow I will walk again, next week I will get back to running/gym/Zumba and sessions with my PT, and in 7 weeks I will do a 5K race I just signed up for.

I’m just going to copy and paste that which I wrote in another reply to the same query about Salt in Huel, the only thing I would say to the official Huel representatives is, if people want it maybe offer a low salt and normal salt version if its commercially viable.

Anywho, this was what I stated in the other thread, no current reliable evidence supports current guidelines on low sodium diets:

The guidelines we have relied on for so long for daily intake of salt were written around the same time that they said that eggs were bad because they contained cholesterol, dietary cholesterol which doesn’t increase LDLs in all but very rare cases (hyper responders and even then a tiny amount) in fact it has a positive effect in terms of all the many benefits contained in eggs.

As with eggs so with salt, we shouldn’t be relying on the older figures but up to date nutritional research. In the American Journal of Medicine a study compared the daily sodium intake of 78 million americans to their risk of dying from heart disease over the course of 14 years. It found the more sodium people ate, the less likley the were to die from heart disease, and a 2007 study published in the European Journal of epidemiology followed 1500 older people for five years and found no association between urinary sodium levels and hte risk of coronary vascular disease or death. For every study that suggests that salt is unhealthy another does not (scientific american credit)

And as I replied on your other thread Sodium Fluoride is only toxic, and only referred to as toxic by the sources you mentioned in extremely large doses, as everything is I might add. Those same bodies still support fluoridation of water.

2 Likes

Well people not on 100% Huel are at an advantage then, as they can eat foods that are lower in salt when they aren’t eating Huel. You just countered your own point. Salt is good for you and the RDA doesn’t come close to a dangerous/toxic level of sodium. Water will kill you if you have too much of it. Same with their 296% RDA of protein, 467% manganese, etc: People are vastly overestimating the harm potential of salt here.

“Someone who is having a rest day and not working out could end up over the RDA for sodium. This is not good.”

Why not? What do you think will happen? All this scaremongering about salt, why? Are you worried about high blood pressure? Nobody seems to realize how little risk it poses on a per-day basis. I guarantee you if you exercise properly your blood pressure will be low - I’m on 90% Huel, I exercise daily and my BP is low. My resting heart rate is 46 BPM.

"who has time to do the maths on that if you want to combine Huel with other food? "

Likewise, who has time to measure out portions of salt for a low-sodium Huel?

“I am overweight and unfit”

Point proven. When you get to a stage where you consider yourself a healthy weight and exercise more than walking daily (as everyone should) then you will be in my camp complaining about measuring out spoons of salt to put in your Huel.

1 Like

This isn’t the original blend. This is a radical change with v2.0 - they doubled the salt content overnight. I think most people would be happy to return to the original blend that attracted them as customers in the first place.

2 Likes

Huel v2.0 is only out for a month or two I think. Give it 6 months of consuming at that level and keep an eye on your blood pressure. Although I agree that for a healthy person exercising regularly it is probably not a serious health concern.

10-20 people whining on a forum is not “most people”, it’s a minority compared to the thousands of people eating Huel who are presumably happy, as they aren’t complaining on here. You can’t mention all the people that started Huel during 1.2 without mentioning all the people that joined during 2.0, myself included. What if they/we don’t want less salt? What if they joined because of how it is now? What if there was a huge influx of people if they revert it back saying “hey, what happened to the salt?” I’m all for two versions, but not changing it.

I guarantee the same shills complaining about blood pressure are the same people that sit on their sphincter all day.

1 Like

Well I guess it is unfortunate they have delayed so long - but they have announced they will definitely be reducing the salt in the next version, but no word on flouride and no timescale. So you may be disappointed in the future and have to start complaining yourself - although I would say it is much easier for you to spoon salt into the bag and give it a shake than it is for us who want less.

2 Likes

Hey, it looks as if this has all been resolved now, but I was wondering out of curiosity: why are you so salty? Your previous comment about “I guarantee the same shills complaining about blood pressure are the same people that sit on their sphincter all day” would be offensive, if it made any sense.

Not wanting especially to bash you, on what is now a thread which can be closed, but why are you so pro-salt?

1 Like

I am waiting for a salt and vinegar version…for when I am too lazy to make chips.

2 Likes

Well… except for hypertension being reported as the most prevelant risk factor for cardiovascular disease in elite athletes, that hypertension can be hereditary, that about 3% of hypertension cases are pegged as being genetic, that a study of NFL footballers a few years back reckoned something daft like 80%+ of them were hypertensive, THIS BJSM meta- analysis study finding, amongst other things that “There was no evidence that blood pressure (BP) was lower in athletes than in controls. A number of studies showed a higher BP in athletes” … and so on.

The point I’m trying to make is that while exercise can help reduce BP, it does not guarantee normal BP. I know a few people with good exercise regimes who need to take other measures - including watching salt intake - in order to maintain safe BP levels. Christ, the fittest guy I ever met still had to take 10mg of ramipril per day.

2 Likes

Would this just be salt and vinegar flavour or would it have actual salt and vinegar in it? The latter could be achieved just by adding actual salt and vinegar to U&U. You could also add tomato ketchup, brown sauce, whatever you want.

Mushy peas ?

1 Like

It has those already

3 Likes

Gravy? Curry sauce?