Salt in Hot and Savoury

I would really like to reopen this discussion. I know there are old threads but I really feel this is important. Hot and savoury tastes too salty to me, I have to drink a lot of water after eating it.
My issue is the quantity of salt relative to the calories.
I know the nutrition team has said that 1g of salt (or thereabouts) per meal is not that high - but this meal is 400 calories. Now if I was eating a 600 calorie or 800 c meal I would expect to take in 0.5-0.75 g of salt.
The plain fact is that I find to too salty to be a healthy food.

1 Like

What else is there to reopen the discussion about?
If itā€™s too salty for you then itā€™s too salty for you, or are you hoping to bring about a recipe change?

Hi Jeff, as youā€™ve said youā€™ve read the other posts on this topic what new information are you hoping to obtain?

How salty a food is perceived to be varies between individuals and the product development team have settled on this amount of salt as for most people this is optimal for the flavour.

I would like to be able to think and recommend of Huel as a healthy food. At this level of salt I donā€™t feel I can do that.
I believe many people could be attracted to Huel because of its range of nutrients and the ease of counting calories.
Yes, I would ask for a recipe change (it certainly wonā€™t come if people donā€™t ask)
or perhaps a new variety aimed at middle aged people looking to count calories for health reasons - people who are active and health conscious but donā€™t do hours of sweating down the gym to lose salt (but maybe they play sport or walk etc for exercise but need to watch their blood pressure etc) - this has to be a huge market. Lower salt would be all it would take to make this a viable product.

1 Like

Iā€™ll add my voice to that. I also find Huel Hot & Savoury too salty.

I thought I was imagining things. I thought that Huel would not put me at risk of excess sodium.

Your post made me do research and this was the post I found most informative:

"I noticed on The Huel Hot & Savory Formula Explained that the newer H&S pastas- particularly the Mac n Cheeze and Chickā€™n & Mushroom - have fairly high levels of sodium.

2000 kcal of Chickā€™n & Mushroom, for example, gives you 3000mg of sodium - the American Heart association recommends no more than 2,300 mg per day, with an ideal limit of just 1,500 mg of sodium.

The FDA dietary guidelines also recommend <2300mg per day.

So why so much sodium in something thatā€™s supposed to be nutritionally optimal?"

I would welcome a recipe change. This information and Huels responses to this discussion have decreased my trust.

I DO have pasta for breakfast, and frequently 4 x Hot & Savoury per day.

1 Like

This feels like important information which I have so far not come across - also - I have been promoting 4 x H&S meals a day in a previous forum post, and no Huel nutritionist has stepped in to correct me:

ā€œH&S are definitely more of an occasional bit of variety/comfort food rather than an every meal item. Their nutritional information recommendations says to have them only for 1-2 meals per day.ā€

Well, itā€™s an occasional ā€˜comfortā€™ food - and they only recommend having 1 to 2 H&S meals a day - so the salt level in that instance is perfectly fine. If someone chooses not to follow that guidance then it would be unreasonable to expect a recipe change to accommodate that?

it is on the product pages on the nutritional sections as well as the same areas on the packaging

Iā€™ll echo the Reddit response to a similar statement:

"Yeah - I definitely donā€™t eat just H&S, but the beauty of H&S has always been that, when I eat it, I feel like what Iā€™m eating is all nutritionally balanced - I donā€™t have to worry about the nutrition at all.

Now, with the pastas, Iā€™d feel like Iā€™d have to be watching how much sodium I eat through other foods for the rest of the day. Kind of ruins the vibe, you know?

It also just makes me feel a little disappointed in Huel - I trusted them to carefully balance all fhe nutrienfs so I didnā€™t have to. I donā€™t think they fulfilled that goal with the sodium content. And now Iā€™m here second-guessing if thereā€™sany other nutrient I need to be careful about.

Not a huge deal at the end of the day,but definitely a disappointment."

Is there anything else I need to know about why Huel does not recommend H&S for any more than occasional use?

To be clear, the daily recommended limit for salt is 6g a day. Based on 0.5g salt per 800kcal meal this is only 1.5g for 2400kcal which is a quarter of this limit, it is extremely low and I donā€™t think foods need to have a salt content this low to form part of a healthy diet.

All Huel products can form part of a healthy diet. As @HJennyG youā€™ve rightly mentioned the higher salt content of the H&S pastas letā€™s talk about them. We have a recommendation because nutrition is an important factor, but not the only factor. As Iā€™ve said in a previous post you need to consider a taste and what people expect from a ready-made pasta. You can make the best product in terms of nutrition but it doesnā€™t matter if it tastes terrible and no one will eat it. The amount of salt in the H&S pastas means weā€™ve created a healthier, more sustainable yet still convenient and tasty meal alternative to other ready-made pasta products on the market.

I can understand your concerns around salt, but they really only come into play if youā€™re consuming the H&S pastas for all of your meals, which is something we donā€™t recommend for any of our products. If salt is a concern, there are other H&S flavours within the range with a lower salt content.

I donā€™t think you have to do this. Consuming a H&S pasta takes up around 25% of the RDA for salt, consuming a healthy diet throughout the rest of the day means this isnā€™t a concern.

1 Like

Thank you for your response Dan.

I would like to say, that if I felt capable of consuming a healthy diet for the rest of the day, I would not be eating Huel H&S pasta.

25% of my RDA of salt in 20% of my daily calories does feel like an issue worth addressing in a brand synonymous with balanced nutrition.

The idea of manually compensating after a H&S Pasta meal by consciously seeking foods healthier than a H&S Pasta meal (and by healthier I mean lower salt) feels out of character with what Huel stands for - and it is this that I think the OP was getting at.

Ie. I do not consume a healthy diet throughout the rest of the day, āˆ“, this is a concern.

I appreciate your point of view from a sales-perspective. Yet to remain simply healthier than other ready-made pasta products is a low bar to meet and does not feel inline with what Huel should strive to be.

Essentially, I have been shocked to learn what I have today.

Please consider matching the % RDA salt to the % RD calorie intake across the complete H&S range as expected by your consumers.

1 Like

Combined in the above post and edited for clarity.

I understand where youā€™re coming from and I appreciate eating a healthy diet can be tricky.

My final comment on this is a product isnā€™t simply healthy or unhealthy and a single nutrient (unless that extremely high/low levels) isnā€™t going to push a food one way or the other. H&S pastas are high in protein, high fibre and relatively low in sugar all while containing all 26 essential vitamins and minerals.

We will certainly consider this, and if possible, will look to lower the salt content.

1 Like

I eat them sparingly. More like 1-3 a week

Thanks Phil. I would respect the view that H&S is intended for occasional use if Huel would widely promote this. Yet I have consumed H&S for years, read the FAQs, was still unaware - and I have found the opposite of what you say to be true in the case of Spaghetti Carbonara:

Serving size: 99g x 5 meals per day = 113% RI salt

However this may have been in error, as it is the only flavour recommending this serving quantity.

I value this discussion for raising awareness and I thank Dan for his understanding and consideration.

I also find that I need to drink a lot of water when eating my daily H&S portion, but I donā€™t mind that because it encourages me to drink more water when I might forget to do so.

2 Likes

I am trying to lose weight, counting calories. Iā€™ve been having one h&s per day and one Huel liquid most days.
I was unaware itā€™s suggested as occasional.
I actually this is a something of a case of Huel ā€œcovering their assesā€ from a legal pint of view and is in some conflict with a lot of the other messaging.
I also (like many middle aged people) have high blood pressure and some artery issues.
This is caused partially by the amount of salt in
Food in our society
Eating a sensible amount of salt is just very difficult. And I wish I could could turn to Huel to aid me in this.

What do you mean per 800 cal meal, I thought each meal was 400 cal

Youā€™re correct Bobby but Jeff suggested the above, which is what my reply was in relation to.

I only tried the Chickā€™n and Mushroom so far and it had the correct amount of salt for me.

Well, just to share my experience with HUEL as a regular 2 times a day in weekdays consume. I have now 42 years old, and use HUEL to lose some weight. After a year using it Iā€™ve manage to lose 14 kgs. (Along with regular exercises and self control on weekends and social interactions) and all the levels that used to be too high or too low became in range. This include high cholesterol and high blood pressureā€¦

So, now about the taste, I find all H&S range correct, not salty neither bland, in fact, I add a small pinch of salt to Green Thai Curry and Korma, the pastas are all great by themselves (Tomorrow Iā€™ll try Carbonara, so letā€™s seeā€¦).

Please donā€™t change any recipe, it fits in the recommended ranges and taste wise is perfect. Thatā€™s my opinion folks.

Cheers!

3 Likes