The downward spiral

Just had vanilla with a teaspoon of instant coffee & a banana :banana: blended in my NutriBullet :yum:, wouldn’t mind sharks hula for later though :wink:

Ha, love the autocorrect for shakshuka!

1 Like

:rofl:
:shark::dancer: (no hula-dancer I’m afraid)

1 Like

I tend to Mixed unflavoured huel powder with a pre blend flavour and it’s awesome. It provides just the right sweetness for me depending on the ratio. I recommend doing this to help negate the chemical taste.

3 Likes

So! Yesterday I tested Huel for real! I had a CT scan planned (nothing too serious) and I needed to be “sober” (no that’s not the correct word, that’s translated from Dutch, I’m Belgian, I mean that I couldn’t eat for four hours prior). So I ate three scoops of vanilla Huel with banana flavour boost (YUMMY!!!) before and two scoops of chocolate after the scan. I ate at 9:30am and 2:30pm. I wasn’t hungry at all in the evening. I felt satiated the whole day, didn’t experience any glucose peaks or dips and felt generally great.

Three scoops is much to much actually for me. I took three cause I couldn’t eat for a while, but I think 2.5 would have been just ok.

Diet wise, everything went a bit downhill in the evening though. Husband wanted pizza :confused: Anyway, it was a Friday.

Today I ate one 3 scoop shale with mocha (not good, not bad), half for lunch and the other half as an afternoon snack. Evening meal spaghetti Bolognese. Now I need to stay of the snacks and wine!

1 Like

You mean you had to fast before the scan :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That sounds indeed much more correct :slight_smile: Off topic, but is there also a word to describe the state of having fasted? In Dutch we have “vasten”, which is fasting, and then “nuchter” which means you didn’t eat or drink anything for a couple of hours.

1 Like

I don’t know of a word for the state of having fasted but I would just say to use the past tense; fasted.
Example: I fasted this morning to prepare for my scan.

There very well maybe a word for it.

Fun fact the word breakfast comes from the idea that you are breaking from your nighttime fast.

3 Likes

It was religious moralising and advertising that brought us the myth that breakfast is the most important meal of the day too.

Here’s something to read with your elevenses: https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2019/01/31/breakfast-no-longer-most-important-meal-day-new-study

2 Likes

So, after the first week, the scale was still at 86.8kg :wink: No surprise there however, because it was just the startup week (1x Huel per day) and my resolve wasn’t always as strong in the evening with regards to snacking (grilled halloumi and WHY DORITOS? WHYYYYY!?). Needless to say, evening snacks are the bane of my diet, but that’s no suprise. It’s also not the best time of the month to wheigh myself (water retention anyone?).

I’m jazzing up the Huel with flavour packs and fresh fruits. Yesterday I had vanilla with pomagrenate seeds, this morning chocolate with frozen strawberry and banana. From the flavour packages, I tried banana, which I liked best and mocha and chocolate, which were ok but nothing special. Today I’m having the dreaded chocolate mint for lunch (I don’t like After Eights), but as many of you speak highly of it here, I’m kind of looking forward to it.

Diet wise, my workdays will be:
Huel for breakfast and lunch (4.5 scoops total) - 700 kcal
2 pieces of fruit as a snack - around 100 kcal
dinner - 600-900 kcal depending on what

This will set me back around 400-500kcal per day, which I think is doable both in terms of shedding the weight fast enough and eating enough to keep motivated.

Weekends will be a bit of a grey zone, I’ll definitely have one Huel per day just to keep in the rythm, but if we’re on a family outing and will have lunch, I’m not going to take my Huel with me, I’ll just enjoy with the family.

My CT scan came back clean and I’m all OK for sporting again. I’ll bike to work (around 25km a day) with an electric cargobike, so that will be again around 500-600 kcal per working day extra?

Now I just need my thyroid to keep calm (I have hypothyroidism which is brought to normal levels by medication) and all will be fine I guess :wink:

9th July 2019: 86.7kg, BMI 30.7
16th July 2019: 86.8kg

2 Likes

Never done it with a electric bike so I couldn’t say. Depends how hilly it is, how much intensity you do it at etc.

No matter what it is a great healthy habit. Usually when I cycle I do 600-800kcal an hour (less if it is not intense work out). I would go conservative when adding those and see ho you feel.

2 Likes

Moderately :slight_smile:

1 Like

Surprised no one posted this yet:

:wink:

2 Likes

LOL… yes indeed.

1 Like

I like cycling but I have never been good with hills sadly even as a kid, don’t seem to have the lungs even with loads of practice. When i was 16 I cycled to work only 6 miles total, there and back but it was hilly it never got easier it was a killer until I could afford a 50cc motorbike :grin:

2 Likes

To be honest, I’m not really looking forward to riding the bike every day for 25k (16 miles?). But then again, the bus takes almost the same amount of time PLUS costs money, while my employer gives me money to bike (around 100 euro per month if I bike every day). It’s a win (time), win (money), win (yeey, sports) situation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s all practice. I was lucky enough that my parents were very active and cycling was a common activity in the family. We took the bikes in every holiday, even Austria (5000km trip) on the back of the car.

I have not been going out much lately though.

:joy::muscle: I’m waiting to be able to afford a bigger bike. Skipping the 50cc.

This was common around Bristol, I think. Well, good luck!!! I am not going to say that Britain is the easiest place for this.

1 Like

I live in Belgium :slight_smile: But my workplace is on top of the biggest hill in the area :joy:

2 Likes

Quite dissapointed when I stepped on the scales this morning :frowning: I know rationally that I shouldn’t expect more, I eat normally in the evenings and on the weekends, and yes, snacking in the evening is my Achilles heel, but still. Cycling to work, which should add up to around 2000 kcal per week extra, didn’t happen because of this damned heat wave (40°C) and high ozon levels.

So, I decided to make a few changes to my eating shedule:
morning: 1 scoop (not 1.5) plus frozen fruits blended
lunch: two scoops (not2.5) plus a piece of fruit
evening: normal dinner (700-900 kcal)

If the heat wave subsides, I’ll cycle to work as well. With the falling temperatures, I hope the scales will also go down as well :wink:

9th July 2019: 86.7kg
25th July 2019: 86.2kg

2 Likes

It was same for me and it was a load of extra calories I didn’t need as I needed to lose weight I was good in the daytime but ruin it all in the evening and weekend. I had to really fight to not buy them in the first place and the urges to nip to the shop in the evenings was horrendous. It’s better now and doing well without it I have my last Huel a bit later which helps and have fruit in as a snack if I need too. You feel better for it.

3 Likes

I’ve changed my calorie deficit so that I can still snack in the evenings. I eat about 1300 calories during the day. Allowing me to have a low calorie snack if I want to and still remain under my 1600 calorie limit.

I buy cheep rice cakes from the supermarket meaning that even if I sit there and eat an entire packet it’s only a couple hundred calories and not well over 1000.

1 Like