The state of PET recycling

yes I saw that and its to my point on consumers attitudes towards it - ill have to look back in the forum but I recall it being a heavy majority of surveyed consumers who did not believe it was their responsibility at all and it was 100% down to the brand owner - which is just ludicrous.

Similarly - the recycling industry on as a whole needs a massive investment to update and expand its infrastructure to cope with new materials that are already developed rather than relying on high profit margin mechanical recycling which is very limited in its scope.

Even talking to the Huel guys about this - they want to use rPET in their RTD bottles but the suppliers cannot make any guarantees on quantity availability. Their pouches currently cannot be mechanically recycled but could be chemcycled - there just aren’t that many facilities capable of doing that.

In a recent interview piece, Julian did cover this and reported that Huel are working on a more viable bag solution but its at least a year away due to extensive testing and qualification.

1 Like