This is the Future of Staple Food

Oh, I don’t think I would ever want to be on 100% Huel.

And then tbere are folk like me, who are just bored of cooking, having done it for family for decades. So usually I have breakfast - a good muesli soaked overnight, lunch - soup, made enough for tthree or four days, or a sandwich or salad, then Huel for supper. It’s wonderful, saves me hours at shopping and cooking. I imagine it will also be very useful if I get to the stage of being unable to do much in the kitchen.

1 Like

Go 100% huel and you don’t even need a kitchen :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it took so long for enough people to come round to the idea of it being acceptable.

I have friends and colleagues around the world who have seen me drink Huel and ordered just on the fact they have see me using it but I have noticed that the people that have not been interested even if they think it is a really good idea are the people who sit with a bag of sweets for breakfast and drink cans of coke and all that other crap.

It is the people who dont give a damn about their diet that arent interested and it is the folk who eat very well with sorted lives that are interested.

One day it might be totally normal to go into a cafe and buy a takeaway Huel, just as it currently is for tea or coffee.

But also, it’s now within our grasp to be able to one day make all food nutritionally complete. We could have different products that provide different experiences of flavour, texture, etc. But they could all be nutritionally complete.

So it could get to the point one day where the very idea of eating something NOT nutritionally complete would be considered a daft waste of time; because you might have something else that IS nutritionally complete but tastes the same or at least very similar.

The difference between putting petrol in your car and putting lucozade in instead; or feeding your cat gravel instead of cat food; or trying to insert a candle where a lightbulb should be. I’m not sure all these analogies are holding up, but you get the general idea…

Okay, one more just for the hell of it. Using a carrot to write with.

2 Likes

Also if people have the time and inclination to cook good food then they should go for it.

I use Huel mainly out of convenience, as do the people I know who have also bought into it. For me after the gym, or when I am on the road around Europe.

If I could justify having a private chef with me everywhere I went then that is what I would be doing.

What is funny, because I am abroad or in London a lot I have deliveries sent to my mums house. Being Spanish you can imagine my diet as a kid and the look of horror on her face when she sees me drinking it! She takes it s a personal insult if I drink it in her house ha!

Oh, definitely. The best gap in the market for Huel to fill is to replace the fast food and junk food.

So often, people skip breakfast, or they only have toast and coffee, something like that. Then lunch comes and maybe they buy a sandwich, maybe they buy burger and chips, maybe they buy whatever grabs their attention when they are walking round the supermarket in their lunch break. If those people have Huel instead, they can get optimally nourished and get on with their day.

But taking the time to make a nice meal is something completely different. Although I’m not claimed all of my evening meals are nutritionally complete. But I do usually have 15 scoops of Huel as well, so…

1 Like

Some of the themes discussed here immediately made me think about Stoicism in general and Gaius Musonius Rufus and his attitude towards eating in particular, so I search for the following fragment I thought some of you might find interesting:

Musonius’ extant teachings emphasize the importance of daily
practices. For example, he emphasized that what one eats has significant
consequences. He believed that mastering one’s appetites for food and
drink is the basis for self-control, a vital virtue. He argued that the
purpose of food is to nourish and strengthen the body and to sustain
life, not to provide pleasure. Digesting our food gives us no pleasure,
he reasoned, and the time spent digesting food far exceeds the time
spent consuming it. It is digestion which nourishes the body, not
consumption. Therefore, he concluded, the food we eat serves its purpose
when we’re digesting it, not when we’re tasting it.

The proper diet, according to Musonius, was lacto-vegetarian. These
foods are least expensive and most readily available: raw fruits in
season, certain raw vegetables, milk, cheese, and honeycombs. Cooked
grains and some cooked vegetables are also suitable for humans, whereas a
meat-based diet is too crude for human beings and is more suitable for
wild beasts. Those who eat relatively large amounts of meat seemed
slow-witted to Musonius.

We are worse than brute animals when it comes to food, he thought,
because we are obsessed with embellishing how our food is presented and
fuss about what we eat and how we prepare it merely to amuse our
palates. Moreover, too much rich food harms the body. For these reasons,
Musonius thought that gastronomic pleasure is undoubtedly the most
difficult pleasure to combat. He consequently rejected gourmet cuisine
and delicacies as a dangerous habit. He judged gluttony and craving
gourmet food to be most shameful and to show a lack of moderation.
Indeed, Musonius was of the opinion that those who eat the least
expensive food can work harder, are the least fatigued by working,
become sick less often, tolerate cold, heat, and lack of sleep better,
and are stronger, than those who eat expensive food. He concluded that
responsible people favor what is easy to obtain over what is difficult,
what involves no trouble over what does, and what is available over what
isn’t. These preferences promote self-control and goodness.

1 Like

If he was here today I would say to him “Give it a rest Musonius, here, 'av an hob nob.”

1 Like

I bet he applied this reasoning to procreation too.