What additional ingrediants are added to the pre-blends

Hello there, 2 year Huel user here - I recently (today) received my latest delivery of Huel and added to it the new Mint Flavoured (x2) pre-blend.

My understanding is that for the coffee, actual coffee was added to give it its flavour and thus the ingredients remain the same as the unflavoured Huel? Happy to be corrected on this?

link to ingrediants
The ingredients for berry show:

Oats , Pea Protein, Flaxseeds, Brown Rice Protein, Medium-Chain Triglyceride Powder (from Coconut), Sunflower Oil Powder, Micronutrient Blend*, Natural Flavouring, Thickeners: Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum, Colouring Food (concentrate of beetroot, carrot), Flavouring, Sweetener: Sucralose.

And for mint chocolate:

Oats , Pea Protein, Flaxseeds, Brown Rice Protein, Natural Flavouring, Medium-Chain Triglyceride Powder (from Coconut), Sunflower Oil Powder, Micronutrient Blend*, Thickeners: Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum, Flavouring, Sweetener: Steviol Glycosides, Sucralose.

I’ve tried to highlight the differences

I also notice that the energy levels and some of the Nutritional Profile varies between flavours

per 100g
Vanilla: 1680kJ
coffee 1680kJ
Berry 1703kJ
Mint Chocolate 1703kJ

I also note that the creators are keen not to use ingredients such as maltodextrin due to its high GI

So without giving away any industry secrets; I’m just curious as to know if or what it is that makes the berry berry and the mint chocolate … mint chocolate and what makes up for the discrepancy in nutritional values (not that i think it makes a large difference)?

All the flavoured premixes are based on the New Vanilla powder and therefore is the unflavoured Huel plus sucralose plus flavourings.

So the coffee Huel contains coffee plus sucralose plus vanilla flavourings.

The mint choc one is based on the vanilla Huel AND the mint choc flavour system so includes sucralose and stevia and flavourings.

The berry contains sucralose and flavourings.

They don’t give the secret behind their flavourings.

As for the nutritional info - the nutrition in all the powders is identical ie they are all made from the same base ie the unflavoured and unsweetened.
The only difference is that the flavoured ones have sweeteners and flavourings added and therefore these added ingredients will make up a small percentage of the final product, therefore appearing to reduce the nutrition.
Does that make sense?
The added sweeteners take up a slightly different percentage in each flavour, varying the nutrition values very slightly.

1 Like

Here’s the ingredients of the mint choc flavour system which is added to the mint choc premix (in addition to sucralose and Vanilla flavourings):

• Huel Mint-Chocolate Flavour Boost ingredients: Cocoa Powder, Natural flavouring, Sweetener (E960 - Stevia).
1 Like

So sweeteners add about 30ish KJ per 100g which is nothing in the grand scheme.

Well, unsweetened is 1710kj per 100g, so actually adding sweeteners reduces the calories per 100g as there is very very slightly less food ingredients in the flavoured versions due to the sweeteners adding weight but no nutrition.
The difference is tiny however, and not worth worrying about for calorie counting purposes.