Why is Germany singled out with local shop and local prices?

Hi folks,

there I was, happy about the only good thing in brexit, thinking I could buy more huel per Euro – only to find that Germany has been singled out and is charged nearly 60 pound at current rate where everyone else pays 45 pound…

That’s even worse than the rate before brexit and it cannot be about delivery cost, since all other countries still get to pay in pound.

Quite a disappointment, I sare say this will hurt sales in Germany, it certainly hurts mine.

Cheers
Chris

2 Likes

Hi Chris,

they lowered the prices on the German site just a few days ago. See if that makes a difference in your calculations.
However, I will just quote the email that was sent out to existing customers when the new site was launched. For anyone reading this who does not speak German I suggest using the Google translator on the following:

Wie versprochen kommen hier für Interessierte noch die genauen Gründe, warum wir unsere deutschen bzw. österreichischen Preise für alle - abgesehen von Bestandskunden wie dir - leider anheben mussten: Da unsere Verkäufe nach Deutschland und Österreich in Kürze einen bestimmten Wert übersteigen werden, werden wir jeweils die dortige Lebensmittel-Mwst. zahlen müssen. Da diese mit 7% jeweils deutlich höher ist als die Lebensmittel-Mwst. in Großbritannien (=0%), mussten wir dies in der Preisgestaltung für den deutschen und österreichischen Markt einberechnen. Ebenfalls mussten wir einen kleinen Sicherheitspuffer einbauen, um mögliche Wechselkursschwankungen zwischen dem britischen Pfund und dem Euro auffangen zu können - unsere Margen würden große Schwankungen zu unseren Ungunsten derzeit sonst nicht ohne Weiteres verkraften.

When adjusting for the new Pound, the difference is about 10 percent for me, which the quoted 7 percent tax just about accounts for.

Cheers,
Fabian

1 Like

well let’s all get ready for this. with the British economy failing and the prospects of Bratain leaving the single market, buying Huel from outside the UK will get very very expensive indeed.

Just think about how hard and expensive it is to bring Soylent from the US…

Looks like the price for Germany has gone up again (though I’m not certain) - £190 for 8 bags vs £162 in the UK. With the 7% tax accounted added it’s still a good chunk higher. I suppose its the shipping costs + profit margin but it hurts my wallet here in Berlin!

Huel guys, if you want to set up a warehouse here, I’m in… :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Huel founder Julian got the Brexit vote he wanted, so hopefully they have a plan for the future.

With the pound lowering, I thought exports were up?

I’d be very interested to know his reasoning for voting for Brexit. Bearing in mind the immediate hit our economy has taken as a direct result of Brexit, followed by a subsequent one when Theresa May indicated she was willing to sacrifice free trade in order to “take back control of our borders” which took the value of the pound to a 168 year low, I struggle to understand even a hint of the reasoning Julian, as a business owner, could possibly have followed in order to reach the conclusion that pulling out of the EU was the right call. Bearing in mind every respected economist in the country forewarned Brexit would be terrible for economy, and correctly predicted everything up to this point, I’m very interested to hear what he thinks the benefits would be of something that, to me, is the worst decision the UK has made in decades.

4 Likes

This isnt very pc haha

Just to put things into perspective. Euro/Sterling

The last year:

The last 6 months:

… by which you mean to say German (or all EU for that matter) prices for Huel should really have gone down significantly these last months?

Apologies if I misinterpreted your post, this assumes you were suggesting the effect of Brexit hasn’t been too bad.

Bearing in mind the presence of London’s stock market and the financial crash around the peak of the first graph, of course relative to the euro a similar effect was seen around 2008.

Comparing the current crash as a result of Brexit is clearly not particular applicable, but more importantly, are we really looking to the 2008 crash as a great moment in history?

I can’t speak for them but yes, it should cost you approximately 20% less in euros, assuming customers in the EU are being charged the same value of currency as those in the U.K.

I merely provided you with data. Historic data is always a good way to put into perspective what is currently going on.

How you interpret that data and/or the validity of what “every respected economist” says is up to you.

Using historic data as a way of explaining current events requires precedent in terms of the factors leading to it. You can’t really compare the effects of a huge financial crisis with now, because simply put, there hasn’t been a financial crisis. Even when there was, you’ll notice the gradient of the increase on the first graph is less than that of the recent increase over the same time period.

Brexit is so scary economically because there are no precedents to help predict what is going to happen. Every mention of leaving the EU brought with it a decrease in the value of the pound, and this was only made that much worse by Theresa May implying she’ll go for a hard Brexit. Bearing in mind we haven’t even officially invoked article 50 yet and the currency has already plummeted to a 168 year low purely on the speculation of a hard Brexit, I don’t even want to think about what will happen when it comes to pass. Thus far Brexit has, to my mind, been a complete and undeniable failure, and shows no sign of stopping.

1 Like

I was not implying historic data could predict the future events.

I was saying historic data puts into perspective what is going on right now.

You are right though, there is no financial crisis.

In that case you can see that the length of time for which the pound has been falling in value exceeds even that of the global financial crisis, and shows no sign of stopping. Perhaps then you can agree this is a huge issue.

1 Like

Interesting discussion. Very sad what has happened to Britain. I do plan to leave in a year or two and thus are concerned about the availability of Huel in the EU if the UK ends up leaving (and so are some of my friends already getting it on the continent).

Interesting that he would vote out, this article has his German country manager talking about how much more difficult Brexit will make things, and how the ‘company as a whole’ was against the referendum!

3 Likes

A terrible and sad result, made worse by the fact that it has also emboldened those with racist tendencies.

My last word on the matter, I’ve lost enough days to anger and sadness over Brexit.

3 Likes

(I will add that the article is quite readable through Google Translate)

The quote about the company’s stance on the referendum is here (translated, might be a bit off, maybe a german speaker can clarify):

One possible measure to absorb negative impacts, could of course be to relocate the production of “Huel” partly in other EU countries. But that is still a long way at this moment. “We hope that with consumers now no reservations, Huel 'as a British product arise has since voted the clear majority against the Proposed referendum on United Kingdom membership of the European Union in our team,” says the Osnabrück.