100% Huel, downsides?

I’ve been using Huel for a week and I really appreciate that there is such thing on earth. It saves me loads of cooking time. And I have no problem with the vanilla flavour taste at all (so far). I usually take 2 Huel meals per day and thinking about becoming a 100% Hueler. However, it is suggested in the guideline to retain one normal dinner and use Huel for breakfast and lunch. Are there any cons to my health if I transform to a 100% Huel guy?

If you wish to go 100% Huel it should’t be a problem. A few people on here are 100% and one has done it for over a year. One user did note they felt their teeth started to feel loose probably due to the lack of any chewing so chewing some gum may mitigate that.

I think the guide still recommends a regular meal just for the social aspect. Going 100% and not having a family meal or missing out on a friends birthday meal is quite an ask and would cut you out of many social activities.

3 Huel’s a day is my limit. I still want some regular food.

1 Like

@Coup Thanks a lot for the answer. I will buy some gum :grinning:

Unfortunately every chewing gum I’ve seen in a shop uses Aspartame as the sweetener so if you are trying to avoid that look out for it. Might be able to find a sweetener free gum online.

1 Like

Thefe is one in holland & barrett that is aspartame free and sugar free.

2 Likes

Good spot my friend. Just looked and they do 4 actually all without Aspartame.

2 Likes

Echoing what has been already said, but yes many do use Huel 100%. That’s not our purpose of Huel, rather we recommend using it as healthy convenience food or to replace meals which you don’t have the time to plan, prepare and cook them. Clearly though there are many other great ways to use Huel.

Excuse the copy paste from our FAQs:

We recommend that when you start your Huel diet, you first try replacing 1 meal with Huel, and then after a while (approx. 5-7 days) you could progress to replacing 2 of your daily meals (and then 3, 4, etc. if you want to go 100% Huel). This will allow your body to slowly adjust to Huel.

If you switch from one diet e.g. vegan to paleo, you can experience flatulence and irregular bowel movements, tiredness and/or cravings, etc. It’s not that the diet is bad it’s due to changes in the gut’s microbiome based on their new food source.

Let us know how you get along and take it easy!

2 Likes

I’m coming up to a year of as near to 100% as I can get - the very occasional sandwich when out, snacking on Bombay mix type 100%. I’m a long term survivor of HIV (30+ years) and have diabetes. If I were able to work, I’m sure I’d consider the lack of sick days a con, I so miss cleaning the stove, and what I’m going to do with the money I’ve saved keeps me awake at night… :smirk:

2 Likes

That’s awesome to here. Thanks for sharing :grin: