100% Huel White vs 100% Huel Black? (body composition, fat loss, muscle gain etc)

What would be the difference between having 2000 calories of Huel White vs Black per day (and nothing else)?

This is in terms of weight loss/gain, muscle gain, and general body composition?

I know calories in vs calories out is a big part of weight gain/loss.

But what difference would the macros make?

With the White, you’d get around 145g of protein a day, vs 200g with Black.

For carbs, it would be 224g per day from White and 120g per day from Black.

Let’s say my maintenance is 2000 calories a day and I weight train a few times a week.

What are my chances of losing fat and gain muscle on White vs Black?

What about if I was having 2,500 kcal of Black vs White, essentially bulking.

Would I put on more muscle than fat when taking Black compared to White?

Or is there not likely to be much difference between Black and White in terms of the higher protein/lower carbs, for the average guy?

Has anyone had a diet plan tailored for them, based around Huel, with specific goals in mind?

Thanks!

The benefits of a high protein diet fall off when you go over 2.2g of protein per kg. So the answer to your question depends on your weight. I sometimes add a small amount of Huel Black to my Huel White shakes to get a bit more protein after workouts. I don’t like Black vanilla nor chocolate so I cannot eat them on their own and I don’t like the macros so I view it as a product that lets you up the protein content of your main shake while giving you the necessary vitamins and minerals.

If all you wanted was the extra protein would you not be better served making a regular Huel and adding a protein supplement to it?

Protein supplements do not have the necessary vitamins and minerals,

Good point.

What if I had 2000 kcal of Huel White then a 30 g of protein in a protein shake?

I weight about 86 kg BTW

To be honest the questions you’re asking are totally subjective and dependent on so many factors.

You’d be best served talking to a decent (ie qualified) PT. They’ll be able to make an assessment of your situation, what you want to achieve and talk through what you need from your diet. The money this would cost is less than you’re going to waste on unnecessary supplements etc otherwise.

What sort of supplements would be a potential waste?

Or are you referring to Huel?

No not at all (Huel is food not a supplement).

I’m referring to the masses of various pills, powders, bars etc that are available now. If you don’t know what you’re doing it’s really easy to spend £100’s a month on them and there’s only a finite amount of each nutrient your body can absorb anyway. It’s really easy to get sucked into this when your first start focusing on weight training and trying to build muscle (their advertising is everywhere).

1 Like

yesirreebobby.

2000kcal of Huel White and a 30g protein shake should be more than enough for you. You would be getting around 2g of protein per kg which is high enough.

It’s not something that’s possible to comment on even if you ask “what happens if I have 2000kcal of Huel Black Edition a day” because it’s dependant on a lot of different factors.

If you’re looking for a tailored diet plan try a registered nutritionist or dietitian, it’s not something anyone should be offering to you without knowing about you or your medical history.

Please don’t go to PTs unless they are registered nutritionists (very few are). Most PTs either don’t have any qualifications or have taken a low hour nutrition course.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying this point Dan - that’s very much what I meant and I don’t think I was very clear!

(The large tanned guy down the gym who did a three week course online probably won’t be best places to advise…)

1 Like

Ah right. Thanks. I wasn’t talking about supplements, just Huel.

Thanks! I would be eating more than 2000kcal calories any way or I’d get too hungry but not sure where those extra calories should come from, Huel White, Black, or a protein shake?

Yeah, that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

My worry is that a registered nutritionist would tell me get off Huel asap and go back to “whole foods”.

I struggle to eat sensible (healthy, balanced, etc) when not having Huel so that wouldn’t work for me.

@JamesCollier is close enough!

We tend to find when we are able to properly explain what Huel is and time is taken to go through the Huel ingredient list and nutrition a lot of people change their minds. Of course a wholefood balanced diet is the ideal, but that’s not the point like you said, so enter Huel.

1 Like

hahaha :laughing:

Oh yeah. I’m not dismissing the greatness of Huel but I just assume that it would take a while for me to convince a skeptical nutritionist of why I eat it.

I’d rather not have to do that! Especially if I’m paying by the hour :slight_smile:

Does anyone know of a nutritionist or diet person who is a Huel convert? Maybe who does online plans?

I could tell them my stats, goals, when and how I train, and they could say when to have Huel, which type, and when.

Or something like that…

Although with the gyms shut, I’m just running at the moment, not going to the gym.

I probably can’t afford it but would be interesting to know.

As Black Edition contains only plant based protein it should not be a problem to use 100% Black Edition -especially as it still contains carbs (starch and sugar).

It’s a good question whether there are any nutritionists who are pro-Huel or pro-meal-replacements; haven’t found someone like that either…

I think a lot of ‘pro’ nutritionists are like any other particular diet based fans - if it doesn’t fit in with their own preference or what they are promoting for financial gains, then you will have trouble convincing them otherwise.

1 Like