6.4g of salt per day in v2?

If you say so, although the World Health Organisation disagrees with you about the 6g thing.

http://imgur.com/WndBm0D

(From it’s June 2016 fact sheet here - http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs393/en/)
As does the NHS and if I’m being honest I don’t remember any practicing health professional I’ve talked to over the last decade or so disagreeing. Still, whatever works best for you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Incorrect.

6g is the maximum, not the RDA. Not that an RDA is optimum anyway, thats just the amount needed to keep you alive ha!

I for one, really like the increased salt intake in v2. I already noticed that my cravings for salty foods and snacks have decreased. The salt intake in v1.2 was too low for me, but I understand that if you have a medical condition that requires you to lower your salt intake, that v2 might no longer be the perfect fit for you :frowning: I’m sorry to hear that.

Its worth repeating that the amount of salt in Huel is not a problem only for people with certain health condition. 6.4g of salt today is well above the maximum safe consumption levels recommended by nearly every public health organisation.

1 Like

Was this not already answered here:

2 Likes

I mean, its an answer but it fails completely to address the issues people are having. I’m just going to repeat things that have already been said above, but whatever.

First, the EU Reference Intake value for salt intake is 6g/day. Huel 2.0 supplies 6.4g/day, which is 107% of the RI as is indicated on the Nutrition Information label Huel provides. So, the amount of salt in Huel is already above the RI.

Second, it is very widely accepted that the EU RI for salt is too high. Widely accepted in that nearly every major public health body in the world suggests to reduce daily salt intake to less than 5g per day based on the recommendations of the World Health organisation. If we look at the WHO page that @matneee linked http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs393/en/ we see the following points (I’m copying them directly because I doubt people are reading the links):

• “High sodium consumption (>2 grams/day, equivalent to 5 g salt/day) and insufficient potassium intake (less than 3.5 grams/day) contribute to high blood pressure and increase the risk of heart disease and stroke.”
  • “Salt intake of less than 5 grams per day for adults helps to reduce blood pressure and risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke and coronary heart attack. The principal benefit of lowering salt intake is a corresponding reduction in high blood pressure.”
  • “Reducing salt intake has been identified as one of the most cost-effective measures countries can take to improve population health outcomes. Key salt reduction measures will generate an extra year of healthy life for a cost that falls below the average annual income or gross domestic product per person.”
  • “An estimated 2.5 million deaths could be prevented each year if global salt consumption were reduced to the recommended level.”

In response to the WHO recommendations for salt intake the EU started a “Salt Reduction Framework” on 8 June 2010. You can read some of the documents produced by this campaign here http://ec.europa.eu/health/nutrition_physical_activity/high_level_group/nutrition_salt_en.htm.

Other pubic health organisations also recommend levels much lower than 6g/day for health reasons. For example:

Altogether, we see that the amount of salt in Huel is not only well above what is necessary but is well above what most public health organisations think is harmful for one’s health.

I very much hope that Huel decide to reduce the salt content in an upcoming version, and do so shortly. As it stands I will not be ordering any v2.0.

5 Likes

I am pre-hypertensive so I don’t want any extra sea salt added. Is it possible to get it without added salt? If I realy need salt I can add it myself. (Like I add a teaspoon of olive oil, etc) thanks

4 Likes

I’m going to go on a leap here and say 6.4g is probably fine and the recommendations are usually just trying to keep people in line for a huge range of different people. Especially if you take 2000kcal of Huel, the amount of salt your body needs should hugely vary upon your weight, your activity, the amount of liquid you consume and all sorts of factors I’m not aware and I’d expect most health organisations are just recommending a low value to be on the safe side.
Imagine if you are 50 kg and you consume 1500 kcal a day, your daily salt GDA is somewhat still the same but you get less from Huel in that case, you get 4.8g

Having said that I don’t see why Huel wouldn’t do the same, from having none it could have gone to having 4-5 or something safely below the higher limits, I really don’t see where they were going with this. It’s also quite easy to add a pinch of salt at home to your shake if that’s what you want to achieve and you avoid this whole issue.

It’s not an issue for me, but it just seems like bad vibes for no reason.

1 Like

Still no hint of an explanation from Huel.

2 Likes

Hi guys - sorry that some of you feel this is a step in the wrong direction for Huel. Rest assured, we are taking the comments on board, and will be addressing the issue asap.

7 Likes

You’re not addressing the comments. Why did you think it was such a neato idea to raise the salt content beyond recommended safe limits?

3 Likes

There are a lot of mutually exclusive design decisions for them to navigate - if they wish to maintain a small product range. Do they optimise for 100% Huelers or 20% or 25% (approx. 1 meal a day - e.g. breakfast) Huelers? Do they optimise for the fitness community or the sedentary community? Do they optimise for short-term use (e.g. 3 months) or long-term use (10 years)? Etc.

Sodium requirements will vary wildly across all of those configurations. And some of those groups/intersections would be less than impressed having to add additional Salt to their supposedly convenient meal, whereas others have always treated Huel as a base which they can add to. By pandering to the former you would neglect the latter.

This dilemma is playing out across the Soylent related product space. Many competitors are going for a product range (look at Joylent and Queal, for example). Huel seems to have ended up with a product range by accident - They should just consolidate them into 1 product - Gluten Free Unflavoured and Unsweetened Huel and offer Vanilla as one of their flavour packs. Then they could blow that out into a product range based on different users and their associated lifestyles with different macros. Look at what Soylent have just done with Coffiest. By doing so they simultaneously said “there is NOT one food product to rule them all” and “we’re going to capitalise on that and grow our range”.

So who are Huel optimising the formula for? I used to fit nicely into their original target market, now I don’t. Will keep an eye on how things progress though.

Edit: Have a quick look at some of the competitors and things become clearer -

Soylent - 4 products. Powder - Soylent 1.6. Solid - Soylent Bar (just launched). Liquid - Soylent 2.0 and Coffiest. They have expanded the formats of their product and added Coffiest which has a targetted purpose - to replace breakfast. They’ve already spoken of releasing a Chocolate version of Soylent 2.0. They don’t target the fitness community at all - they target the “normal” user.

Nutberg - 1 product. NOT targetted as a full diet replacement - just something to have in the pantry for when you need a nutritious snack (would be very expensive to live on anyway). As such they can easily get away with having a low Sodium (and Iodine formula).

Joylent and Queal have been expanding their range for a long time. Joylent, Joylent Sport, Joylent Wake Up, Joylent Vegan, Twennybar, Queal Standard, Queal Lite, Queal Plus, Queal Athletic, WundrBar.

Huel can’t be all things to all people.

1 Like

I just think I wanna hear what huel have to say about it. I mean, they must have had some reason, right? they didnt do it on a whim or by mistake, surely there is careful design decisions being weighed here.

2 Likes

Maybe they did by mistake and are just really bad at admitting?

I don’t want to start bashing and I think most people have already been consuming too much salt anyway (the food industry adds a lot of salt and sugar, because it makes products last longer). But here we have a person with a health issue clearly and objectively stating the problem and the only official response is managing complaints superficially. I think the thought that a single person decides subjectively over the nutritional components of all humans in the future is slightly disturbing, so I hope Huel could become more modular in the future to accommodate different needs.

Back to the question, I read some people use Huel in mixed form. If you eat 75% of the daily Huel intake, then you’ve had 6.4g*0.75 = 4.8g. Supplement it with some other food non-salty food? Again, these suggestions shouldn’t come from the community, but from the Huel support team themselves.

3 Likes

While that is possible, it’s just added expense. Why should we have to figure out adding a secondary food source if Huel does in fact claim to be all we need in one handy shake?

with the addition of too much salt and fluoride, it can no longer live up to that. So what should the tag line be now? “Huel: most of what you need and even some stuff you don’t, in a handy shake, but only eat 75% of your daily calories from it, and have a nonsalty snack too”

1 Like

Point of order - being the “person with a health issue clearly and objectively stating the problem” I’m satisfied that they’ve answered my questions (I.e - the extra salt is from sea salt, and it would be possible to omit it.

I’m currently mixing my stocks of v1.2 with v2 which should last me a couple of months or so. Admittedly it tastes a little saltier than I’d like but its good enough for now and I’ll see if the formula has been updated when I run out.

In the latest thread about swapping normal for gluten free the op is selling 5 bags of v1.2… if you wanted more…

For what its worth I am a regular Huel for lunch user with no health issues and not particularly concerned about salt intake. I’m glad they’ve increased the salt because I think it was very low - but I’m also concerned they went 20% over the quite unambiguous WHO maximum guideline. I get plenty of salt outside of Huel by eating tasty things - I don’t want to use up so much of my allowance on my Huel lunch.

Anyway I don’t obsess over the guidelines - but I actually find v2.0 to taste very salty, saltier than I would ever have my food and its that primarily that concerns me.

So my feedback is please reduce the salt. After all it is absolutely the cheapest, easiest and most available of all ingredients for people to add or supplement themselves if they feel like they want more (or provide a flavour pack with pre-measured amount of salt if necessary).

If I understand the figures in my standard 2 scoop shake (of which I am having 2-3 a day) there is over a gram of salt - not sure what that is in tea spoons but from the taste it is much more than I would ever put on a plate of food.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m mixing 2 scoops of v2 with 1 of v1.2 but I tried one that was all v2 and it was… less than my favorite taste experience of all time.

Vanilla & Salt flavour just isn’t very palatable.

1 Like

Add toffee flavouring and it (sort of) becomes salted caramel flavour? :smiley: