6.4g of salt per day in v2?

It’s certainly something you’re feeding to people. It may be a better idea to work and review it BEFORE you put it in the bags and sell it, not afterwards once they’ve noticed.

2 Likes

“The fluoride is of no health concern and there is simply no need to worry.”

This absolutely is blowing off community complaints.

4 Likes

With all due respect, its only a couple of months since you were saying Huel needed more salt in it, isn’t it?

It’s arguably a little disingenuous to then complain about it when they do go ahead and produce a mix with more of what you wanted shortly after.

Seriously though, I’m just after a little nutritional info from the Huel team that effects a preexisting health problem I have, and I kind of feel this thread keeps veering of from what I need to find out.

3 Likes

Please remember that precise dosage is vital to any argument here. It’s not so wrong to want “more salt” and then be appalled when someone goes crazy adding piles of salt to your meal.

You are dead right to want a more detailed breakdown of the sources of Sodium in Huel.

1 Like

I’m more interested in whether the sodium levels are likely to be lowered to be honest - if not I’ll move on, no fuss, no drama.
Look, the way I see it Huel produced a new version of their product, announced it, and put the new nutritional labels online in plain sight for everyone to read and make an informed consumer decision from. From my point if view they haven’t done anything wrong and I struggle to understand the viewpoint that they have that seems to be being voiced by some. Nobody is “going crazy and adding piles of salt” to anyone’s meal - and I don’t think that kind of hyperbole really helps anyone in the long run - is it really too much to expect people to read about what they’re buying before purchasing it?

Some of us had subscriptions for one product (v1.2) and had another product (v2.0) replace it with no notification.

1 Like

Oh. I assumed everyone with a subscription receives an email 3 days before shipment, the same as I do with my subscription. The most recent one explained there had been a change in the formula, provided links, and even refered to Huel V2 in the email title. There’s a screenshot of the email I received here (click the preview image for the full thing obviously…)

http://imgur.com/OszuyMv

That said, if people with subscriptions genuinely didn’t receive notification of a change before shipment, it should be a very simple matter to return it for full refund with the manufacturer paying return fees, having sent a substantially different product according to Consumer Contract Regulations.

2 Likes

We did change the emails and that notification goes out to everyone. I changed it on the Friday once we started shipping 2.0, so everyone who was going to receive 2.0 received that email.

@sanovine, if I said there was no conspiracy going on here, would you take my word for it?

Adding sea salt and fluoride to Huel costs us money.

1 Like

I’m sorry you feel this way; I was merely trying to reassure consumers not ‘blow them off’

Hi - happy to answer

1. sea salt
  2. yes, it could
  3. as per other threads, this is something I’m looking in to. However, I will be looking at information and weighing up both sides carefully and objectively.

Guys, I am taking these issues seriously, and I will address them. However, you only have my word on that.

4 Likes

Save money, and keep customers happy, don’t add them. They are not completely necessary and those who want them can add them to their diet themselves.

3 Likes

Yes, I rather thought you might have.

Look guys, you can’t blame a manufacturer if you don’t read the info in emails they send you. With the best will in the world it’s really your own fault if you’re not paying attention to what you’re buying.

Thanks for the answers, and I do appreciate this isn’t exactly something you can address overnight. If you could get the salt equivalent down to about 5g (or below) a day that would be great for me - as I mentioned, because of a preexisting health problem -, but again I appreciate you’ve got to do what’s going to satisfy the most customers. The way I see it I’ve got enough v1.2 in the cupboard to be able to mix it with v2 and keep my salt intake at something appropriate for a couple of months, and I’ll see what’s happening then.

OK, great then. As far as I’m concerned you can lock this thread now :slight_smile:

I can take your word for it that there’s no conspiracy, but I’m still waiting for an explanation as to why you thought it was appropriate to increase the salt level to unsafe amounts. The reasoning behind fluoride is understandable, even if it’s weak and misguided. But there is no excuse for the salt fiasco, and no excuse for the poor communication when pressed about these issues…

5 Likes

One of Huel’s competitors - Nutberg - have a novel solution to an analogous problem:

Why not just add a bunch of Salt sachets to every order? Heck you could do it with Sugar too. It’d be cheap and users could opt-out of receiving them if desired anyway.

Edit: You should also add a small tube of toothpaste. For those desperate to consume Fluoride.

7 Likes

Haha, I thought of the same thing the other day. Throw in one little sachet of salt per huel bag, with a note that says “if you eat 100% Huel, throw one sachet into the bag”. Solved.

As someone who is Sodium deficient and has to remember to add salt to my food to avoid the mental degradation and depression it causes I’m glad Huel has the RDA of salt. Sick of people with half baked ideas claiming it’s best to have little to no salt in their diet; we need it for healthy neuron function.

2 Likes

True, although the 6g salt RDA is generally an upper limit recommendation than a target from what I understand. I can’t say I’m convinced that the current level in huel is going to cause any particular health problems for standard people long term, but I’m no dietician. Dimly remembered biology classes give me vague memories of nerve axons using sodium, potassium and some kind of inorganic cation, but that’s about it :wink:

For what its worth I started the thread for a genuine health reason rather than any half-baked idea in that me and a lot of my mum’s side really do need to eat a low sodium diet because of high blood pressure. Huel has been great in that I’ve kept my salt down for a few months now with out the incredible tedium of pulling out a magnifying glass to pour over food labels every time I buy anything. Also I get to stuff my face with pizza & Chinese Takeaway every so often without feeling guilty and have the occasional coffee too :slight_smile:

I’m honestly not here to rant or make demands - if they decide to leave the formula’s salt as is then I’ll look somewhere else.

Although I’d be equally happy if the unsweetened & unflavoured version also became unsalted, while the main variety continued as is. I usually add something to my huel for flavour anyway.

3 Likes

I’ve not seen anyone claim we don’t need salt. The issue is too much has been added which goes over the RDA - and too much salt is strongly associated with hypertension/heart disease.

I plan on using 100% huel for a long time; I’d be stupid if subsequently consistently consuming more than the advised dosage of salt didn’t concern me.

1 Like

No, 6g is not an upper limit, it is the recommended intake. Consistently consuming well under 6g a day can lead to issues as I stated. True no one claimed no salt on here, but I see/hear a lot of that along with people talking about cutting down when they are consuming under 6g already, and my point is that folks on here are advocating that and the arguments often get banded around together.
Ok, so 6.4g is 0.4g over the RDA as stated, but that is a small amount over and our bodies should be easily capable (barring organ damage) to filter that out in the same way popping vitamin pills causes our bodies to remove excessive amounts of vitamins out (take vitamin B and urinate with a blacklight to see what I mean!)