A simple way to solidify huel

Apologies if this topic has come up before but I was just wondering something.

After attempting to make pancakes with huel and ending up with a pile of goop I was wondering if there is any simple way that would have a minimal effect on calories (i.e. minimal flour, sugar, etc.) of preparing or cooking huel so I can take it with me in a container and eat it throughout the day rather than make it into a drink? I like it as a drink but it can often be hassle having to bring a smoothie Cup around and not being able to wash it for a while. Any tips? It would be great if there was a way to use a day’s worth in some way to cut up and snack on.

P.S I know I can get huel bars but I would rather use the original stuff as I intend to replace much of my diet with it for weight loss and the bars suggest to not eat them as a main source of food.

I just made some huel Cookies. I used this recipe below and subbed the almond meal and oats for Huel

You can also remove the peanut butter and choc chips and I think it will still make a good snack

1 Like

Sorry to hear your pancakes weren’t a success. How did you make them?

I mixed 3 scoops of huel with baking soda and milk but even with an oiled non stick pan it would stick and just heat up like porridge. I could add flour/eggs if thats what’s needed but I’m trying to have as many calories/nutrients from huel.

I dont mind how it’s prepared but I’m looking for a way to eat ot rather than drink as im often out so cant blend it, if the huel bars were able to form the main part of a diet I’d take them to be honest.

IMG_5896

These are the pancakes I’ve made:
2 scoops of huel
200mls of milk
Half a tea spoon of baking power

Mix together and then put the mixture into a frying pan. Once small air bubbles appear on the top of the pancake flip it over and cook. This mixture makes 3 decent sized pancakes.

If you want bigger portion add 3 scoops of huel, 300mls of milk and a teaspoon of baking power.

4 Likes

That’s interesting, really sorry they didn’t work out. I’ve made Huel pancakes quite a few times and used the recipe we did for Pancake Day this year:

Makes about seven pancakes, 10cm across.
Ingredients:

• 3 scoops Vanilla Huel
  • 1 tsp Baking powder
  • 300ml or 2 1/4 cups milk
  • (optional) 1/2 tsp Mixed Spice
  • (optional) 60g blueberries
  • (optional) 1/2 lemon’s juice and grated rind

Method:

• Mix the dry ingredients together.
  • Pour in about half the milk and mix well
  • Add remaining milk slowly, mixing until smooth.
  • Cook until golden brown on one side and flip.

For Blueberry and Lemon pancakes add the grated rind of half a lemon, replace the equivalent of milk with the juice of half a lemon and stir in 60g/half a small punnet of blueberries. Cook as before.

The pancakes won’t be as light and fluffy as if you made proper scotch pancakes whisking egg whites and such like, you do need to cook them longer than you would for other pancakes.

Thanks I’ll try this again, I used unflavoured last time so not sure if that would’ve had any impact. Also, should I use a high or medium heat and roughly how long for each side?

Just tried it again with vanillia huel, a whisk and chocolate flavour and they worked out great!

Would it be possible to use soy/skimmed milk and unflavoured to still get the same results?

2 Likes

Great to hear this was an improvement! I don’t see why this wouldn’t work with Unflavoured and soy or skimmed milk, will be great I’m sure!

Regarding timings for anyone else reading this, I’m not 100% sure. When I do them I always cook them a little longer and make the outside crispy to compensate for a less fluffy pancake (due to using Huel). I do it by eye, when it is golden brown all over I flip it.

1 Like

Any idea how long you’d expect these to keep for once they’re cooked?

I guess that depends on how tasty they are :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve just made some pancakes myself using the 3 scoops, 300ml and 1 tsp recipe and they all looked pretty done on the outside but the middle was a little too soft, not sure if they were a little too thick or needed longer. How thin do you guys usually make them?

1 Like

I kept mine in the fridge for 24 hours after I made a large batch and they tasted amazing.

1 Like

This. They tasted great but the inside was still somewhat gooey even after practically burning them, is this normal? should a lower heat be used? Doesn’t really bother me but it can make it feel a bit stodgy I guess.

I tend to use a medium heat and cook them with a little bit of oil. Don’t use too much oil as I find it kind of absorbs it and makes it goopy.
Once I see little bubbles coming through on the top of the pancakes I turn them over. I also don’t make them massively thick so they tend to be more of a solid consistency.
I love the pancakes. Keep at it as Practice makes perfect!!x

1 Like