Boron in Huel

Boron is a mineral with no dietary recommended amount and there has been little research on it. It may be requred in tiny amounts in the diet but it’s abundant in plant foods.

However, it’s been requested twice - as far as I know - that we provide an amount of boron for Huel. So I looked into it…

The amount is around just less than 1.5mg per 2,000 calories which covers the typical intake range of 0.87 to 1.35 mg/ day for adults. It’s also well under the safe upper limit of 20mg per day.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Ref:
Arsenic, Boron, Nickel, Silicon, and Vanadium." Institute of Medicine. 2001. Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, and Zinc. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. doi: 10.17226/10026.

3 Likes

Thank you. It is always nice to see these amounts.

I know there’s limited space on the Huel ingredients label, but it might be worth including these elements too if possible. Multivitamins have them, and it would make it easier to convince people that Huel contains everything one needs.

Great to hear and I think it should be on the label too.

I don’t feel that boron should be on the label as there are no recommended intakes for it. And if we were to include boron, why not vanadium, silica, sulphur, nickel, cobalt and others? To the more enthusiast Huelers, like you guys, I can see the use, but to most of the population, too much unneccessary info may even be off-putting.

1 Like

A nice compromise would be including this information on the Huel website, perhaps in some advanced section.

@JamesCollier do you know the amount of nickel in Huel and the amount of phytoestrogens? I have recently been diagnosed with disorders related to both these. And it would be really useful to my recovery to be able to accurately understand and control my intake. Many thanks in advance

Hi @Madeleine

We haven’t had nickel tested - however, I’ll arrange for this test; likely to be 2-3 weeks. There is likely to be some nickel present from the oats and flaxseed. But many cereals, seeds and some animal products also have nickel present.

I have not come across someone with a disorder relating to ingested nickel before, only nickel on the skin-type reactions. I’m interested to learn more, if you’re happy to share :slight_smile:

Phytoestrogens - there are some present in Huel; I don’t know the amounts and I’d imagine it would vary due to crops varying. Let me see if there’s a test we can do for this to provide a ball-park.

2 Likes

@JamesCollier Many thanks for your rapid reply. Just one more brilliant thing about the Huel team!

I’m happy to share, although would prefer to do so privately. What’s the best way for me to contact you? Thanks again …

1 Like

Hi - you can PM me here or email me on james@huel.com

Thanks

Hi Madeline,

As @JamesCollier mentioned we had some tests done analysing the additional minerals in Huel.

The results confirm that there is 0.0751mg Nickel per 100g Huel Original, which equates to 0.3755mg per 2000 calories of Huel.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi Rebecca, Many thanks for this information. It is hugely useful to enable me to monitor my nickel intake.
Thanks again,
Madeleine

2 Likes

@Acuflower Here is the thread where @JamesCollier supplied the information about nickel. Best wishes to your husband x

Thank you, very kind

My understanding of Boron in food is that it moderates the toxicity of heavy metals which are also present in food. There are many (natural) elements in all foodstuffs that are considered inert or harmless.