Non-essential Minerals in Huel

Hi Huelers,

I wanted to share some results with you all that we’ve recently had in, regarding the non-essential minerals found in Huel Original.

We have been asked previously about the amounts of Nickel and Boron in Huel and thought you guys would like to see the full report.

Any questions, just shout!

5 Likes

Are there any health benefits from any of those?

Is the relatively massive Sulphur content responsible for the infamous “death farts”?

(I’m not being all that serious here - and I only mean “massive” compared to the other entries on this list. I’ve no idea what a typical person’s sulphur intake would be)

I want to know this also

Me too. Rotten eggs seems to have pretty much become my middle name!

The following are all trace elements and commonly found in plant foods. They are naturally present in the ingredients that are used to create Huel.

Boron - Numerous studies suggest that the trace element, boron, interacts with other nutrients and plays a regulatory role in the metabolism of minerals, such as calcium, and subsequently bone metabolism. Although the mechanism of action has not been defined. Note that there are no dietary recommended intake amounts for Boron.

Cobalt - Cobalt is a trace mineral & is a constituent of Vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 is required by the body as part of releasing energy from the food we eat, keeping the nervous system healthy and to help make red blood cells. If you get enough Vitamin B12 from your diet, you’ll most likely be getting enough Cobalt.

Nickel - Helps the body to absorb the iron it needs, which is required for the transportation of oxygen around the body. There are no established recommended intakes for Nickel.

Sulphur - Sulphur is a compound of all plant and animal cells, and is abundant in the body. Although there are no official recommended daily intake requirements for Sulphur, the National Academies Food and Nutrition Board suggests that a range of 0.2 - 1.5g Sulphur/day should be adequate to meet the body’s requirements.
Sulphur is part of some amino acids in the body and is involved in protein synthesis and numerous enzymatic reactions. Sulphur containing compounds could be partly responsible for unpleasant flatulence odour.

https://gut.bmj.com/content/43/1/100#ref-6

Silicon - Silicon’s function in the body is still largely unclear, although it appears to have a beneficial role in bone health.

Vanadium - Not much is known about vanadium function, although it has been suggested that Vanadium may be involved in many enzymatic activities.

http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/123082/AQG2ndEd_6_12vanadium.PDF

4 Likes

Wendy_Shepherd re…Rotten eggs seems to have pretty much become my middle name!

Nahhhh Wendy … it’s just you !!

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

:kissing_heart:

Rotten eggs is the understatement of the year, to be perfectly honest. I expect my girlfriend to make the “me or her” dilemma soon, her being Huel… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just to add to Rebecca’s info on sulphur: sulphur is actually essential for the body, but it doesn’t have it’s own requirement as it’s tied in with protein. Two amino acids methionine and cysteine are sulphur-containing and the former is essential. The brown rice protein in Huel is particularly rich in these two amino acids and the protein content of Huel is high which is why the level of sulphur in Huel is high.

2 Likes