Boulimea and Huel

Not to dismiss anyone’s opinions on this thread in any way, but just blanket-statement-style want to put out there im not seeing a whole lot of science going on…

Back to OPs statement about Boulimea, good luck mate and keep us posted that’s what the forum is all about

4 Likes

But the action of salivary amylase is minimal on the great scale of digestion. So starch (ie your ‘complex carbohydrates’) will mostly continue unchanged into the stomach and jejunum before panceatic amylase breaks down the starch. This is even more so with liquid diets as time in the mouth is even less.

Flour doesn’t taste good - if you mix flour in water and drink it, it ain’t nice!

Proteins and fats have no effect on teeth. The sugars themselves cause no direct damgae to teeth - it’s because sugar sticks to the teeth and the bacteria in plaque produce acids which cause errosion. Hence things like acidic fruit also cause erosion.

3 Likes

Good points, but isn’t powder food more likely to remain stuck somewhere?

That’s the big question here… If it remains stuck there, then it’ll decompose…

By the way, what’s most dangerous is the idea that you don’t have to wash your teeth because you’re eating powder food. I had this idea in my mind. That’s a REALLY bad idea.

I guess a little bit might get a bit stuck, but no more than any other food. There’s no reaosn that Huel would have any notable cariogenicity.

We still recommend you brush your teeth twice daily

3 Likes

Surely with huel only being a fine powder it’s more likely to get cleaned out when you brush?

If it was lumps, then you would chew on said lumps and it’s having the size to get wedged between teeth really gets things stuck.

Although chewing is a large part of daily dental hygiene as it helps out. Equally - when I have Huel, I get way less tempted to eat sweets and chocolate through the day, which is going to make way more impact on my dental hygiene than not chewing. So it’s all swings and roundabouts.

Sorry for bumping this thread, but back to the original topic of Bulimia and Huel before dental hygiene got in the way:

I definitely read this thread (having an ED myself) before getting Huel, so I figure it may be useful to share for future ED’d potential Huellers out there.
I recently saw my psych and told her all about Huel—I was terrified she was going to say it was likely to be coming from a disordered place—and she seemed to respond with curiosity. I also expressed that I was worried that it would fuel my All or Nothing mindset, something very common with bulimia sufferers. Naturally, it’s not a black and white yes/no kind of situation, and this is what I synthesised after talking to her and getting the all clear for trying a week of 100% Huel:
note: I am not a trained professional so take my words with a pinch of salt

• It depends on what stage of recovery you’re at. If it’s coming from a place of being a “liquid diet to lose weight”…especially at early stages of recovery…well technically you shouldn’t try to lose weight at the very beginning, but instead focus on getting back to normal eating routines (like using a structured eating plan)
  • Do you get distressed when not being able to have your Huel? Part of recovery is being flexible, and to cope with social situations that have non-Huel foods.
  • What are you using it for? Huel is calories, it’s nutrition. If you’re using it to restrict your calories severely and its absolute precision because you’re unable to be flexible, no go. If you’re using it because you want to actually fuel your body, coming from a place of self care instead of destruction, then sure.

Also, she now wants to try Huel because of her hectic work schedule HAHA #jointhecult

Thoughts?

(Oh and imma blame Tim for my bump :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

How many pieces to a pack? They don’t tell you on the site. I use Spry, because of the Xylitol instead of sugar or poisonous sweeteners but they are the plastic kind - I didn’t know there was a natural alternative, so thank you once again!

Chewing gum is a good idea I will look at trying some, drinking Huel isn’t giving my jaw or teeth a good enough workout either. You could get Huel bars though, I haven’t tried any yet. One thing about being on 100% Huel for me is wanting solids, so maybe the chewing gum will help, the Huel bars would i should think.
I have always cleaned my teeth once a day in the mornings, that’s how I was brought up and stuck with it. My dentist would say to do it twice a day but I couldn’t be bothered to do it at night so didn’t even try. Why should I as my teeth are good I would also think. I had a check up last week and my teeth where ok but my dentist pointed out my gums are a bit infected and inflamed. He said it needs dealing with now as it would get worse and I could lose my teeth. He showed me by holding a small mirror close to my mouth in his spot light, I could see my gums didn’t look good and bits of crap and black specs between teeth.
He did some cleaning for me and the sensitive pain was horrendous and lots of blood.
I go back in a month and my homework is to clean them TWICE a day, flossing and antibacterial mouthwash. Going to get some of them small brushes to clean between teeth gaps.
I am not saying Huel has done this, maybe,even though they have been ok previously i just need to give them more TLC.

10 pieces. It’s a little different in texture to normal gum too, and flavour doesn’t last quite so long, but I’m the sort of person who chews a pice for a couple hours.

Yes they are good to use; a water flosser seems to be good investment and I have hear d good things from people who use them, but they are messy, and use a lot of water, so you many need to refill a couple times for one floss, which can be time consuming…but all the time saved with Huel rather than cooking could make it worthwhile.

Anyone use one?

I have a portable Waterpik. Can’t find the charger anymore but it charges from an old-style Nokia charger. Funnily enough, I’ve hardly needed it since I started with Huel. I do use the little interdental brushes though.

1 Like

I’d have thought it would be even more important to brush your teeth at the end of the day… Otherwise bits from everything you’ve eaten will be sitting there in your mouth creating bacterial havoc all night. Commercial mouthwashes are pretty harsh; I just put about 1ml of hydrogen peroxide in my mouth and swish it around while I brush my teeth. It foams like anything.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I’ll get some.

Yes you are right it’s just I am stubborn and stuck in my ways but going to try and clean twice a day now

1 Like

Me too :grinning:
I got the Colgate alcohol free mouthwash.

Also when I cleaned my teeth and used mouthwash I would rinse my mouth with water to clear it. But now after talking to my dentist just spit it out and leave the toothpaste to do it’s work.