Brexit & Huel

Don’t get me wrong David, I’m not arguing in favour of Brexit so no mind to change here :). I just find it really annoying when people see lists full of ‘could’, ‘might’ or ‘may’ (like in the article you shared) and turn them into statements like “food will rot at the border” as though it’s fact. We just don’t know.

That’s true of all predictions about the future. If you cross the motorway with your eyes closed you could get run over. That’s a good argument for not crossing the motorway with your eyes closed.

Unless all of your mates have voted democratically for it to happen, in which case you’d be glad that you were aware of the negative possibility and could try to plan to avoid it :wink:

1 Like

You’ve perfectly summed up the insanity of pressing on with Brexit.

1 Like

:slight_smile: let’s hope history remembers the conservatives for what they brought about.

Bit of real change at the next general election would be nice.

1 Like

Agreed. The polls don’t give me much hope, mind.

And onto next week now. Sigh.

We’ve at least a decade of this yet mate. We should all go and watch Maleficent, wait for this whole thing to blow over.

2 Likes

Or Nigel Farage,

giphy

1 Like

Where does it say we get most of our grapes from South Africa and Chile? It just states we do import from there, but not how much. It certainly does not say we don’t get grapes from Europe. Actually we get 31% of our grapes from the EU. Yes we do import direct from South Africa and Chile outside of the European growing season.

This is an interesting report on Brexit and food supply: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201719/ldselect/ldeucom/129/129.pdf

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-08/no-deal-brexit-could-hit-fruit-and-vegetable-supply-u-k-warns
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-retail/britain-wont-run-out-of-toilet-paper-but-fruit-could-be-in-short-supply-after-brexit-idUKKCN1VX1GC

Nope. As I said, I’m not making assumptions, just quoting what has been stated by both the government and major UK supermarkets.

Maleficent was okay. Not as good as the original but perfectly watchable :grin:

We’ve become weak. This hardship will make stronger. Suffering is vital part of life.
There was an experiment in the 1960s to try and see if a utopia was possible. They put a bunch of rats in an environment. Huge space, endless food,and water, no predators anything a rat would ever want in life. Bizarrely the rats chose to huddle together despite all the available bed, they chose to form groups and randomly attack one another. The scientists thought the population would grow endlessly but they stopped at certain point. In the end the rats chose to live in hell.
War is inevitable just like Brexit. When given the choice we’d choose hell.

1 Like

I’m not going to comment about the specifics of Brexit because I imagine I’d be outnumbered and like others have said, nobody would change their mind… but there’s little point in this thread continuing until we actually know what’s happening.

3 Likes

I know what’s going to happen and we don’t need to worry comrades once the communal farms have been set up they will distribute food across this great union of nations.

Lol. The title and link of the article you shared both say “Could” be in short supply. IE; it’s a possibility with no factual proof or guaranteed likelyhood - thats the literal definition of an assumption - whether it’s your own assumption or your just parroting someone else’s doesn’t matter. A duck is a duck whoever hears it quack.

I’m going to go ahead and vote we close this thread, for the sanity of us all

2 Likes

Before we close the thread can someone tell me the outcome of today, I can’t be arsed to work my way thru the news channels.

Letwin amendment passed. Tories stormed out. Main business was dropped. I haven’t checked what happened after that.

1 Like

Has Halloween exit been ruled out?

Pretty much. Johnson still says otherwise but the law is not on his side.

1 Like

I liked him on HIGNFY back in the day…never imagined he’d be (unelected) PM.

But then again I never imagined Trump. The drugs I take have made reality weird.

4 Likes