Changes to rules on powders in carry-on – USA entry

Hey team, loads of you here are frequent flyers I’m sure for business etc. There seems to be stricter laws coming into place for entry into the USA.

From the 30th, it seems powders of more than 12oz (<350g or 1300kcal of Huel) will be scrutinised more.

Powders won’t necessarily be confiscated if you have more than 12 ounces. You’ll be requested to remove the powder for additional screening, similar to what you’re supposed to do with liquids. If officers can’t figure out what you’re carrying, you may be asked to discard the powder or check the item. You can avoid this situation entirely by placing powders in your checked luggage.

Quite a few articles about this online but can’t find the official directive from TSA apart from this which isn’t very specific.

Either way, thought you might like to know. For EU flights I believe this is still fine, I’ve taken open pouches of Huel in carry-on plenty of times.

2 Likes

Trumps war on EU or something else?

Seems to be a response to a failed terror attack using powder.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: What next?

The rule’s been in place in the states for a year. The change on June 30th is just that the TSA are asking foreign airports with direct flights into the US to do the same.

Official TSA rule is over here

Protein or Energy Powders
Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes

Powder-like substances greater than 12 oz. / 350 mL must be placed in a separate bin for X-ray screening. They may require additional screening and containers may need to be opened. For your convenience, we encourage you to place non-essential powders greater than 12 oz. in checked bags.