Chocolate RTD changed recipe

Morning @Tim_Huel I am not a subscriber but a have been regularly buying Huel since the company launched. The subscription model does not work for me. It would be great if regular customers could also get updates.

Why does such a significant change not warrant a version number change?

Thanks

1 Like

Please bring the previous chocolate version back! I loved it, it was almost perfect. I agree the new flavour tastes more like a weird custard. Sadly I won’t be ordering any more :cry:

1 Like

Just tried the new recipe and its a thumbs down from me. It no longer tastes of rich chocolate and it was overall quite disappointing. The old rtd chocolate was always my favourite. :-1:

1 Like

I have just received 96 bottle of RTD of which 36 are the new chocolate RTD (L2041 10.05.2023) all sadly the new version.

I think I have cracked the taste. To me new RTD chocolate tastes like chewy chocolate you find in Christmas chocolate coins. I miss the dark rich Lindt like taste of the old flavour.

Berry and Vanilla are still the old versions.

Please can someone share the email mentioning the update to RTD @Tim_Huel mentioned.

I can just share it with you? How come you want it?

There we go.

Thanks @Tim_Huel I never saw the email.

I am trying to understand why the flavour has been changed. I always thought Chocolate RTD was very popular. I loved it.

The RTD ingredients page show other original flavours have also been changed but this is not mentioned in your email or mentioned : Version History – Huel

What’s going on?

The Vanilla was altered in June / July last year and there was mail/forum announcements about that and in the version history page - as Tim mentioned, the other flavours appear to be in a transition to some new changes.

Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 15.27.24

Thanks @Phil_C vanilla is listed here but Chocolate is not Version History – Huel perhaps it could be added?

It would be so much easier if each change to a flavour was given a new version number. Why call it v1.0 when it is not. Huel - Beta might be a better name.

Looks like the version history page has just not received some love in a while, RTD v2.0 is missing as well. I have asked the team if it’s going to be updated, or if updates will be somewhere else from now on. Thanks for flagging.

1 Like

I can understand why not, but I think it might be a good idea to email all customers when a product changes, not just the people who are subscribed. I don’t know if that would cause too much spam for people who aren’t interested, but as an example, I don’t like vanilla powder at all but if I got an email to say it was changing a bit I might be inclined to order again and try it. I also swap my subscriptions around fairly often because I like variety, so I use tomato and herb extremely often but I’m not always subscribed because every so often I like to swap it for something else. I know some people like to stock up a lot in one go too. Especially for RTD which people can buy in shops, so they might not have a subscription but could still be using it daily.

Not sure if it would work because there’s always the danger of spam or annoying people. Just a thought. I don’t actually know if people outside of this forum are all that bothered by minor changes or if it’s just us :wink:

I will also add, I’ve had more of the new chocolate RTD since the first one and I still really like it.

3 Likes

I guess there’s always the possibility of someone seeing “this flavour has changed” and getting a placebo effect next time they try it and perceiving a huge difference in taste/texture.

1 Like

a very strong possibility - in food and drink, changes to popular recipes even slight ones can become very polarising. See ‘New Coke’ etc etc.

From my experience I noticed the change straight away before I even knew there were changes so defo don’t think it’s a ‘placebo effect’ for the new chocolate, but agree it would be helpful to know if there are changes even if people aren’t subscribed to that exact flavour at the time

I honestly get it, I also love Chocolate RTD but we can’t email everyone. There’s already a thread here about how the amount we are emailing is spam. I think there’s an argument to email people who have purchased Chocolate RTD recently though. I’ll be sure to suggest it. But emailing everyone just in case isn’t right.

This is also a consideration for sure.

This is actually great to hear! So pleased you do still like it.

Regarding the placebo effect, while obviously not relevant here as the Chocolate flavour has changed, remember when we changed the lids of the RTD to white?. Placebo is a massive thing with Huel, so if we change an ingredient it doesn’t make sense to tell the world (obviously not talking about allergies), people will perceive flavour changes when there are none, or go searching for them.

We actually conduct trials at Huel to make sure there are no taste differences when we tweak ingredients etc. The technical team do triangle tests with a statistically significant number of people from the office to assess this.

2 Likes

I know Huel IT systems do sometimes leave a little to be desired… :sob: but if there was a way to select which emails we receive I would certainly like to receive all product updates, as somebody else mentioned I quite like testing the changes and frequently change my subscriptions! Would also probably opt out of the other slightly odd marketing emails :eyes:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.