Delivery times/extra charges for South Africa?

F*ck yeah!
I’ll update you, although it’s very unlikely I’ll be able to take delivery for a while. I keep missing them and have to organise a time I can go pick it up from them… oh well!

Just an update. Today I got the customs fees. In total for 16 black bags it came to

Description VAT Code Local Amount (Excl) V.A.T
DISBURSEMENTS
CUSTOMS VAT Z 690.30
CUSTOMS DUTY Z 705.50 ZAR
705.50 ZAR 690.30
DISBURSEMENTS
ROD FEE Z 150.00 ZAR
150.00 ZAR
CLEARING CHARGES
OTHER GOVT AGENCY FEE Z 198.29 ZAR
198.29 ZAR
TOTAL AMOUNT DUE :
SUBTOTAL: 690.30
1 744.09

for the first… and for the second shipment,

DISBURSEMENTS
CUSTOMS VAT Z 650.10
CUSTOMS DUTY Z 666.80 ZAR
666.80 ZAR 650.10
DISBURSEMENTS
ROD FEE Z 150.00 ZAR
150.00 ZAR
CLEARING CHARGES
OTHER GOVT AGENCY FEE Z 198.29 ZAR
198.29 ZAR
TOTAL AMOUNT DUE :
SUBTOTAL: 650.10
1 665.19
ZAR

So 3500 ish.

Although a friend flew in a few days ago with 16 bags of H&S, got stopped in customs, and they just let him walk through (CPT).

Will update here once it’s been delivered.

So, anecdotally, it looks like buying in bulk is definitely the way to go.

1 Like

Okay, it was all delivered yesterday.

I also imported 13 H&S (in my suitcase) and 4 Peanut Butter Black bags. Didn’t get stopped in customs, thankfully.

I’m in Cape Town if you wanna pick a few bags off of me (at cost, I’m not looking to make money slinging Huel!)

Hi guys,
New to Huel. I haven’t tried it before.
Thanks for all the info about shipping to SA.

@SomethingClever
If you have extra, I would be keen to buy a bag or two off you.

I’m based in KZN, so if you don’t mind couriering it, that would be great.

I’m not sure how to message you directly here. Please DM me on Instagram if you still have extra:
Yasteel93

I’ll send you a PM here, I dont have instagram :slight_smile:

Howzit bru , 2800 rand einaar, bliksem…lol… Send some biltong my China :slight_smile:

Hi All,

Just providing my insight on the process for me.
I purchased 8 bags of Huel 3.0 White (whole bunch of different flavours). I purchased once-off, not the subscription service.

Price
Huel - 8 Bags
169 GBP

Shipping - South Africa (10-15kg)
69 GBP

Total paid to Huel
238 GBP
4984.40 ZAR

The exchange rate was around 20GBP to 1 ZAR. I expected to pay about R4760.
I was charged R4984.40 to my card, I assume the extra R200 odd was for International Payment/ currency exchange fees/ something along those lines.

Customs:
1980.29 ZAR

Total costs
4984.40 + 1980.29 = 6964.69 / 8 bags
R870.60 per bag of 17 meals.
R51.21 per meal of 400 kcal.

Timeline
6 Apr 21 - Ordered online.

9 Apr 21 - Email from Huel with link to tracking with FedEx. (says it was shipped on 8 Apr 21)
The expected delivery according to the FedEx page is 16 Apr 21.
I signed up for updates from FedEx on that link.

13 Apr 21 - FedEx email update says my delivery date has changed to pending. I called FedEx, they said they would follow up. Later that day received an email update saying International clearance has been delayed - No action required.

16 Apr 21 - No change since the 13 Apr 21. Called FedEx and sent a query using their website asking for more info and clarity. It was supposed to be delivered today on the original timeline. They responded saying the shipment was detained at Port Health. They expect it to be resolved by Monday/Tuesday. If it has not been resolved by Tuesday I can call back and elevate the query.

18 Apr 21 - FedEx update - Clearance issues resolved. Shipment released for delivery.

19 Apr 21 - FedEx Update - Delivery scheduled for 19 Apr 21.
Later received another update - Delivery pending (no date).
Checked tracking link - note said: “Held. Unable to collect payment”
Called FedEx - I was informed of customs payment. They asked for an email address and they sent an invoice for payment to be done.
Payment confirmed and delivery was supposed to be delivered today.

20 Apr 21 - Package Received. All contents there, all fine.

Other comments
I’m sure if I didn’t chase up on FedEx my delivery would have taken up to an extra 1-2 weeks.
I advise you guys to do the same.
It seems they did not have my email to send me the customs invoice.
I’ve had similar things happen in the past with other international deliveries where the courier is waiting for payment and I’m waiting for the package/update, so I generally follow international shipments closely.

2 bags of Huel is 50 GBP with free delivery (if you reside in the UK for purchases over 20 GBP).
50GBP / 2 Bags / 17 meals per bag = 1.47 GBP per meal
That is R29.41, say R30 per meal. This is the once-off option, if you select subscription it gets cheaper and if you purchase in larger volume, it also gets cheaper.
Shipping to RSA is 70% more per meal.
Based on info from other posts, if you order in the maximum quantity (16 bags), you could get the cost down to R46 per meal.

Hopefully, Huel can set up a distribution facility in South Africa that could reduce this price to something closer to what you’d pay in the UK.

Let me know if there are any questions. I’ll get to them when I next check here.

To really nail home the price difference:
I spent about 350 GBP / 7 000 ZAR getting 8 bags of Huel to RSA.

If i lived in the UK, i could get 16 bags of Huel for 332 GBP / 6 640 ZAR.

That’s double the volume for less than the RSA price.

FedEx are flaky as all hell these days. My latest order from Huel for shipment to Asia, they didn’t even pick up the parcel until 3 days after the fulfilment centre sent them the shipping notification and even then, it’s been sat in the local UK depot for more than day already. They’ve rescheduled the delivery day adding on another 2 days from the previous estimated date but I’m not filled with abundance of confidence.

As soon as I get the tracking from Huel – I always set up notifications on the FedEx site because you’re right, if you don’t chase them on any issues, they will make little or no effort to contact you and if they do – will add additional spurious ‘handling fees’ to the bill to cover their extra inconvenience aka – their actual job.