Do you want Sodium Fluoride to be added to Huel? (poll inside)

Lets google “british teeth” and see what we get :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes, but I got all of them when I was a young and ate too much sugar and drank a lot of fizzy drinks. I haven’t had any new ones for years.

1 Like

@Marcus yes I certainly don’t think fluoride is a cure all, but teeth health is certainly not perfect, would it be better with fluoride the EU certainly think so.

This is a bit shocking:

On average each adult has seven fillings.

http://www.nationalsmilemonth.org/facts-figures/

I posted about that earlier

That’s kind of the point of a meta analysis. That actually makes it more compelling than a single new study because it takes into account many different sources and can eliminate outliers or other unreliable results to form a consensus.

1 Like

Yet everywhere on that map it is possible to buy fluoridated toothpaste. Since fluoride is only supposed to be applied to the teeth and not ingested, it doesn’t really belong in Huel, in my opinion. I can see your reasoning in making Huel a “complete” product, but really, everyone who buys Huel cares about their health, since that’s one of the primary reasons for its existence. Anyone who cares about their health probably brushes their teeth.

Does anyone here not brush their teeth at all?

7 Likes

Why is it added to water in certain parts of he U.K. then?

People don’t gargle water from their taps, they drink it. They make pot noodles with, Ribena, boil vegetables innit, rehydrate coffee, hot chocolate, soup. It all gets ingested.

The fact that Huel doesn’t contain the actual sugars (as indicated in Huel’s own advertising material - see below) that lead to the tooth decay in the first case makes it totally incomprehensible as to why fluoride would be added at all when the CAUSE of the problem that it seeks to be address has ALREADY been negated.

It’s a totally illogical ingredient to use in the case of this product and I can say categorically that I will no longer be a Huel customer if it continues to be included.

I cannot actually believe that we have still not yet seen any credible information here which explains why it should be ingested in a food product REGARDLESS of what local water/food/pharmaceutical sources may already be delivering. That is absolutely nuts and will lead to some people at the very least suffering from dental fluorosis.

Let’s apply some critical thinking and logic here:

If people live in an area that doesn’t meet fluoride RDAs then people can easily supplement it with toothpastes/mouthwashes/tablets/topical tooth treatments and even bottled waters which are marketed as containing it.

If fluoride is already added to the water supply at source to meet the RDA, people have a choice to either filter it out or buy bottled water containing none.

If you’re a Huel customer who already receives enough fluoride or you would prefer not to ingest it regularly at all, then there is no choice, except to use a different product.

The addition of fluoride in Huel addresses a problem that has already been dealt with by the lack of sugars which cause the problem in the first place Does nobody see the irony here?!!

5 Likes

While I think about it, I haven’t seen anyone referencing this particular data yet published in the British Medical Journal (The BMJ is a weekly peer-reviewed medical journal. It is one of the world’s oldest general medical journals)

The ​figure shows the average numbers of decayed, missing, and filled teeth in 12 year old children for several European countries. In most countries this number is around 1.5 and 50% of children have no caries. Although the prevalence of caries varies between countries, levels everywhere have fallen greatly in the past three decades, and national rates of caries are now universally low. This trend has occurred regardless of the concentration of fluoride in water or the use of fluoridated salt, and it probably reflects use of fluoridated toothpastes and other factors, including perhaps aspects of nutrition.

Full article:

3 Likes

Dental health shouldn’t be Huel’s business whatsoever - you’re meant to be providing nutrition. No one who doesn’t brush their teeth is going to buy Huel anyway. I’m 30 years old and have no fillings because I brush my teeth well, I don’t need to swallow litres of the stuff cheers.

4 Likes

Surely that proves that the fluoridation of water and toothpaste is ineffective, or that a lot of people dont brush their teeth.

I assume Huel users brush their teeth.

1 Like

Yes, it (when taken in context with the peer reviewed data shown in my subsequent post) certainly indicates that tooth-health has improved uniformly over the decades regardless of whether or not in a population where water fluoridation at source takes place. The pro-fluoride lobby (and, yes, it is a lobby) are just assuming that the fluoridation is the factor that caused the improvement when, if you look at the larger set of data, you can clearly see that it is more likely that improved dental hygiene and better nutrition (proper brushing of teeth and eating less sugary foods) have led to this improvement.

1 Like

my point was
’not enough evidence’ =/= 'completely safe’
as the articles were suggesting.

1 Like

I had no idea that the Brits had a bad rep for teeth until the other night when it was joked about in an American paperback novel. I was mortally offended!

1 Like

Harvard Study Finds Fluoride Lowers IQ: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/08/07/effects-of-fluoride-to-children.aspx

"Did you know that the United States is one of only eight countries in the entire developed world that fluoridates more than 50 percent of its water supply? Even China does NOT allow water fluoridation because it’s too toxic and causes damage, according to their studies. Instead, the waste product from their phosphate fertilizer industry is shipped to the United States, where we add it to our water supply!

This is a very important point: the fluoride added to your water is NOT even pharmaceutical grade.

It’s a toxic industrial waste product, which is also contaminated with lead, arsenic, radionucleotides, aluminum and other industrial contaminants."

I regret I bought a batch of this now. Please announce when you will remove the poison… Thanks

From People also ask on Google:

“Is fluoride toxic to humans?
This is why fluoride has long been used in rodenticides and pesticides to kill pests like rats and insects. It is also why accidents involving over-ingestion of fluoridated dental products–including fluoride gels, fluoride supplements, and fluoridated water–can cause serious poisoning incidents, including death.”

2 Likes

This is the thing. At least twice a day I brush with fluoride toothpaste, floss with dental tape, and rinse with a fluoride mouthwash. I don’t really need fluoride in my Huel any more than I need protein and vitamins in my toothpaste.

Instead of putting fluoride in food and water, the NHS should give poor people free dentist appointments and free toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t even say you need to eat less sugary foods - I eat so much sugary stuff it’s unreal but because I brush my teeth well I have no cavities. I also use just basic Aquafresh toothpaste, all that expensive ‘complete’ stuff is a con!

Just a general tip: if you want to sound credible, don’t use Mercola as a source :wink:

1 Like

@Julian,

I’m quite surprised to see you arguing this case. The RDA for flouride is obviously based on the flouridation of water (natural or artificial) - but that is only beneficial from topical contact with teeth during drinking, but mainly teeth brushing, mouth rinsing etc.

Can you point to any other multivitamin or fortified food product on the market that includes flouride?

Is there any reason for it be in Huel other than the marketting exercise of ticking off all NRV’s? The problem is in this case the NRV is based on intake from water (you can read the flouride section of the long EU report into setting these values which makes this clear - they make no mention of dietary supplementation and everything is based on flouride content of tap water). Adding it to Huel just makes no sense.

This is the report I’m talking about:

Flouride starts p 363

“Fluoride is not essential for human growth and development but is beneficial in the prevention of dental
caries (tooth decay) when ingested in amounts of about 0.05 mg/kg body weight per day and when
applied topically with dental products such as toothpaste.”

"There is insufficient evidence for the indispensability of fluoride for human health. "

“There is no convincing evidence that health and development of humans depend on the intake of fluoride”

"From this “optimal” water fluoride concentration derives the estimated adequate fluoride intake of …"
THIS IS REALLY THE KEY POINT! They derive the NRV based on WATER CONCENTRATION! It makes no sense to add it to food! Come on guys!

10 Likes

From the front of the Huel website:

What is Huel?

Huel is a nutritionally complete food ​that contains all the proteins, carbs, and fats you need plus at least 100% of the European Union’s “Daily Recommended Amounts” of all 26 essential vitamins and minerals​. So you know you won’t be deficient in any essential nutrients.

Shouldn’t fluoride be mentioned here? If you truly believe it’s good to include fluoride, wouldn’t it be good to have the courage of your conviction and mention it proudly at the same time as the protein, carbs, fats, vitamins and minerals?

People who are interested will find out eventually, and if they are against it then they won’t buy Huel. Why not just save them time by being up front about it?

How about:

What is Huel?

Huel is a nutritionally complete food ​that contains all the proteins, carbs, and fats you need plus at least 100% of the European Union’s “Daily Recommended Amounts” of all 26 essential vitamins and minerals​. So you know you won’t be deficient in any essential nutrients.

Also includes fluoride to help keep your teeth strong.

5 Likes