Does drinking it get easier? (Looking for people who didn't like the taste immediately)

I don’t like coffee as a drink, but the coffee caramel flavour is probably my favourite. There’s a little bit of coffee sharpness but overall the flavour is closer to the filling of coffee creme chocolates.

That’s interesting. It is the only UK available flavour o haven’t tried. I wasn’t keen on coffee though I did like coffee and if I want coffee flavour Huel I add a teaspoon of millicano granules.

I like Salted caramel Huel but thought this may be meh in comparison. Maybe I’ll get a bag next order.

1 Like

Sounds like there’s a lot of interest in salted caramel, I think that’ll be my next to try. Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

I actually just came onto the forum because I’m having the same problem. I thought it probably was due to the Stevia but it’s good to have someone else mention that too and that I should get used to it! I really hope so. I’ve always hated Stevia and generally avoid things using it, but I hadn’t realised it was in Huel. I’m using Vanilla 3.0 in the mornings and Cinnamon swirl at lunch. Tbh I don’t really notice the cinnamon taste after my first try as generally all I can taste now is the aftertaste. But if you’re iffy about tastes I always go for Vanilla as you can add other flavours to it easily without having to think about it, and I like vanilla generally. I don’t have your problem with having to force down the Huel in the first place though, I actually think it’s quite nice at the time, but now I’m literally unable to get rid of the aftertaste at all. It just seems to stay in my mouth after brushing, it comes back a while after I’ve eaten dinner, it’s SO annoying!! It’s actually got to the point where it’s making other things taste not so nice.
I’m persevering, as I still have loads of the stuff and it saves so much time and hassle I really want it to work for me. It has also really helped me cut out so much snacking which will help loads with my weight loss goals. Fingers crossed, for both of us!

Hi - v3 doesn’t use Stevia only Sucralose - Black Edition uses Stevia.

1 Like

Oh really? I assumed it was both and that it was the buildup of having it for breakfast and lunch but either its just from having it for lunch (I have Black at lunch time, forgot to add that bit) or something else entirely! :scream:

1 Like

I had to experiment a bit myself. Huel uses pea protein, which I find has an unpleasant aftertaste, and I think what’s neutralised it for me is making my Huel with 200ml of unsweetened almond milk (plus water), blending it and leaving it overnight or a few hours in the fridge. It also improves the texture a lot.

I’m also not the biggest fan of the artificial sweetener taste and generally found it too sweet, so I use 2/3 Unsweetened and 1/3 Vanilla flavour. For my breakfast Huel I add half a teaspoon of matcha green tea powder, and other times I sometimes add cinnamon, ginger or cocoa powder. I added nutmeg once and did you know it’s psychoactive? It is and it was a bad trip.

Anyway, my morning matcha Huel is always brilliant and I look forward to it, so I’ve managed to get past those original issues.

Another update: turns out I find salted caramel worse than banana :frowning: I’m hoping I can get used to it but even adding smoothie, the taste is quite strong. The aftertaste that I got with banana is still present but I think I’m getting used to it now and that wasn’t the worst thing, I think the taste of caramel was just unpleasant to me. I don’t know why I ordered 2 bags of it, probably should have got 2 different things. Hopefully I can get through the next 2 months worth regardless!

EDIT: I’ve put in a returns request for the second bag… I wonder if it’ll be okay and if I can return it and swap it for a different bag

Ah no, that is rubbish. Sorry Ashley. Have you had any vegan protein powder before? Huel contains vegan protein powder (pea and rice) and it can be an acquired taste. But one that most do actually get used to.

I’m sure this will be fine, don’t worry.

I think I’m like you, in that I find the flavours quite strong and often sweet. I definitely use less powder, and add different things. If you have a blender, frozen pineapple and adding coconut water helps with the banana one.
Maybe try adding cinnamon or even a squeeze of lemon or fresh ginger to cut through the sweetness.

It was fine! They let me keep the bags and got me a bag of the banana flavour I was enjoying :slight_smile: I think I’m getting slowly used to the aftertaste, it was just that salted caramel was such a distinct flavour that it was almost too flavourful for me! I have always been more of a fruity person so I will always prefer flavours like banana or strawberry to coffee or caramel etc, I only chose caramel because it was popular and thought that maybe I’d like it straight :slight_smile:

Customer service is out of this world and got my replacement banana bag today, so I’m going to give my caramel bag to a friend so that it’s not wasted and continue enjoying the banana bag as I have been. I think in future I’m going to try the premade drinks in supermarkets as a way of trying other flavours rather than taking a risk, since I feel I love the benefits of huel so much that I don’t want them to be stressful to achieve!

1 Like

You could try mixing salted caramel and banana. My wife loves that combo

The first two bags I bought were very good. Coffee and Cinnamon Swirl - but much better than expected. The Cookie and Cream one is nice too, but the Chocolate one is probably the most disgusting thing I’ve ever had! I’m also putting off drinking it and if it was the first one I bought then I doubt I’d have continued!

So I do think it depends on taste and finding one that suits, but also I do find it gets easier

:heart_eyes: I knew they would sort you out! Great to hear. Enjoy the Banana. But yes I would definitely recommend a Salted Caramel + Banana experiment like @himji says. It might mask whatever flavour it is in Caramel you aren’t a fan of.

So glad you’ve found the flavours you like, there’s always a bit of experimentation finding your flavour. I imagine there’s very few who love every single flavour. Totally agree it depends on your taste!

I think its all about personal preference and what you enjoy. I’m quite into the cookies and cream black edition and I also like mac and cheese Hot and Savoury. Changing diet and getting used to something new can take time. Im enjoying Huel and I’m willing to try new flavours.

Hi, I’m new here and have just started my Huel experience. I have, however, used other shakes in the past and wanted to share something which worked for me and definitely works with Huel as well to make them more palatable without adding other flavourings or anything other than water.

I use a Breville Blend Active which are really cheap. I use a handful of ice cubes and top up to the usual water level. Add the powder then blend. The result (with enough ice) is something of the consistency of a McD’s shake. I even drink them with reusable metal straws. I think this tricks my brain because all the flavours taste pretty good like this. The Strawberry & Cream tasted like raspberry ripple ice cream! I know it’s probably in my head but it works for me.

I know it’s not easy if you are mixing away from home but definitely worth a try.

3 Likes

I think any tips that can make Huel taste like a McDonalds shake is a win in my books! Thanks for the tip and welcome to the forum :hugs:

2 Likes

Try coffee caramel! I can’t get enough of that :blush:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.