So first of all: I know this is not a really new topic. I know that there are people here that seem to like or even love the taste of Huel how it is (and I don’t mean to offend any of you).
Still there is a reason for this post as my question is still unanswered after reading 7 different similar topics here and searching the web.
Whats unarguably a fact I guess: Huel has a flour like taste at the end. And…I really hate it.
I showed Huel to a few friends (counting 4 who tried it) and they all hated the taste of Vanilla 2.3 and Original (unsweetened etc.). So…I guess I am not alone with that subjective issue.
As I can’t stand the Original by any means I only have like 15 packs of Vanilla 2.3 here for the month to come.
You might have guessed it: my dream would be to live 100% on Huel as time saving and other benefits are so huge. Thats why it is a real deal for me to find a way to make it taste to me.
What I tried:
- instant coffee (doesn’t really taste any different)
- instant cappucchino (any will do. pretty okay and great with a bit Huel mocha-flavour; but still flour-taste)
- instant ice tea (doesn’t really taste any different)
- cold tea
- hot tea (hot Huel is awful to me)
- chocolate powder (well…alright. Worse to me than an ordinary cold chocolate but worth a try)
- vanilla sirup (nope; simply doesn’t go well with the consistency and the taste bites with that of vanilla Huel)
- caramel sirup (same as above and…hard to taste until you put a lot in and that it tastes aweful like a coffee with way too much of this)
- chai tiger spice (well…the chai itself is awesome; recommenden without Huel )
- chai coconut (waste of money; taste so weak that it tastes like ordinary Huel)
- milk (doesn’t change the taste really and leaving Huel over night gives the same consistency in my eyes so…)
- almond milk
- wildberry sirup (even called friends to import a specific brand from the netherlands for me as I thought it might have a strong enough taste to win over Huel…nope. simply does not go well with Huel in my opinion and flour-taste still there as always…)
- Huel flavour powders (makes Huel fun because the flavours are all pretty alright; except my problem with the flour-taste of course)
- mango in a blender (taste was too weak…maybe add stevia or sugar?)
- strawberrys in a blender (I think my strawberrys sucked…)
- wildberrys in a blender (pretty alright. Will try this mixed with a bit berry sirup maybe to give it some sweetness and more intense taste)
- sugar (well…pointless in Vanilla Huel I guess)
- cinnamon (surprisingly easy and good; even though the flour-issue isn’t solved the taste is pretty alright)
- all huel flavour packs including limited editions (winter and the sevenup like thingy)
And all of these tries, if they even worked (sirup was hell), had the same big problem: in the beginning it tastes pretty okay; in the end it is awful to me as soon as the strong flour-taste of Huel kicks in.
So am I just asking for recipes? Why a new thread then?
Answer to the first question: yes and no.
Besides all the other important advantages my main reasons for Huel are simplicity and (stress free) speed.
Also the price. I think it’s a dream to know what you will spend in a month for food right at the beginning and that helps so incredible in daily calculations.
Also I can drop grocery stores (running there in short breaks at work; waiting nervously why people in the row still count their coins; favorite product of course sold out;…)
Thats why I don’t want to use complex (meaning more than 3 ingredients) recipes. These ingredients often seem to be more expensive as they are a little bit special to get (e.g. almond milk is at least 3€ and often sold out here while normal milk is around 0,5€).
So: what can I put into Huel to get the flour-flavour out of it?
And what simple powder-thingy or spice might just be enough on its own to do this without messing around with mixing different stuff?
Vanilla 2.3 blended with a berry mix was pretty good in my opinion (except the flour-taste of course) and the Huel strawberry flavour seems to be my best choice right now.
Thanks for any ideas or just sharing your favorites (whatever you love, not only mixed with Vanilla Huel) in advance.
Best Regards and have a wonderful week,
Edit: edited my opinions to the stuff I tried; maybe someone who is okay with the flour-taste is interested in trying any of these