“Feed” (Huel Parody or..?)

That statement also suprised me @IcyElemental and I was about to start googling it

2 Likes

So I just looked at the ingredients of a feed ‘complete meal’

Water, maltodextrin, SOYA protein isolate, sunflower oil, soluble glucose fibre, rapeseed oil, starch, gluten-free oat fibre, emulsifier, sunflower lecithin, thickeners: gellan gum, carob bean gum, salt, spices, tomato powder, carrots, herbs, seasoning, colouring: copper chlorophyll, vitamins

I’m really astonished
Where’s the food?

3 Likes

That’s a really bad list, what product is it for?

The type I am more familiar with from them based on the samples they sent me is the following:

Gluten-free oatmeal, vegetable fat (sunflower oil, anti-caking agent: silicon dioxide, modified starch, glucose syrup, antioxidant: rosemary extract), isomaltulose, pea protein, powdered tomato, 6% tomato chunks, yellow flax, rice flour, flavoring, powdered onion, mineral salts (potassium phosphate, tricalcium phosphate, magnesium citrate, zinc gluconate, copper gluconate, chromium chloride, sodium molybdate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), acacia fiber, 1% powdered provencal herbs (rosemary, thyme, savoury, basil, marjoram) basil, salt, garlic, thickeners: guar gum and xanthan gum, black pepper, maltodextrin*, vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B5, B8, B9, B12, C, D, E, K), cayenne pepper, antioxidant: rosemary extract
*Carrier for vitamins & minerals.

The ‘vegetable fat’ mix doesn’t exactly instil confidence, but you can see from here that they do have ingredients like oatmeal, pea protein, and other food ingredients like tomato, flax and rice. I still give the win on ingredients to Huel here, but it’s not quite as bad as the ingredients list you found - I’m assuming an RTD? - would suggest.

1 Like

KFC I think

2 Likes

Sorry I should have been specific - it was an RTD - Vegetable I think. It was just the first product I clicked on and I didn’t go any further.
I felt I might as well dine on a can of fat coke and a multivitamin.

Your list is better - I’m guessing that’s for the powder. Still not something I’d want to eat every day though.

I’m not planning on Burger King either @hunzas :joy:
I heard someone put a brick through their window when they heard about the imposter burger

4 Likes

Don’t want to get into Feed v Huel comparison, clearly many on this forum will be biased, as the Feed article is biased to Feed. We have similar articles on our site about competitors, I think as long as they are fact based it makes sense. The more brands in this space means more awareness for ‘complete food’, or smart food or whatever you want to call it! We’re all working towards the same thing and there’s plenty of space for everyone.

However I just want to give some clarity to recycled plastic as it’s a hot topic and actually not altogether clear from Googling, hopefully the below answers some queries.

30% is not the maximum for plastic bottles, no. For example, Coke today just launched a 100% rPET bottle for Smart Water. We won’t be able to reach that level as our bottles contain oxygen/light barriers which lower the maximum % of rPET possible. However, the main issue with raising rPET for us isn’t law, its demand.

When a big company comes in and say they want 100% rPET, people stand up and listen. Whilst Huel is taking off at a massive pace, we don’t quite have the clout others have yet (but I’m sure we will!). When we were ordering our first production of bottles, the rPET for the next 18 months from our supplier had already been ordered. So you can see the kind of challenge we’re facing. And our supply is not guaranteed. If another bigger company were to come in and buy it up, we would lose it. Recycling streams in Europe are just not providing enough rPET yet for all, though this is improving.

30% recycled content in HDPE bottles other brands use is also different to the rPET we use. Many HDPE bottles contain 30% recycled content because of how they recycled the top of the bottle. You can see a bitin this video that they cut off the top of the bottle and it falls into a bin area. This is then recycled and put back into the bottles.

rPET does also involve manufacturing waste, but the majority of our supply comes from recycled plastic bottles collected from public streams.

15 Likes

Before we Feed. the hate, there are a few things to consider.

I 100% agree with @Tim_Huel’s statement

Feed. is not the only one doing comparisons; in fact, all companies do, including Huel.

Thus, you can see this is common practice. For once, it might be useful for the “smaller” brand to put their name out there; and two, it will provide some reference points for the user. however, this articles will tend to be biased.

“Lies, damned lies and statistics”.

Biased yes, but I doubt there will be lies; so the plastic issue is certainly curious.

I see where you are coming from Christina; but I’m with @IcyElemental here. I don’t think it looks as different to Huel’s own RTD.

Water, Pea Protein, Tapioca Starch, Gluten-Free Oat Powder, Rapeseed Oil, Flaxseed, MCT Powder (from Coconut), Chicory Root Fiber, Natural Flavouring, Micronutrient Blend (Potassium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin C, Magnesium Phosphate, L-Choline Bitartrate, Vitamin E (as D-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Niacin (as Niacinamine), Vitamin K2 (as MK-7), Vitamin A (as Retinol Acetate), Vitamin D2, Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium D-Pantothenate), Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin), Biotin, Selenium Yeast, Copper Gluconate, Zinc oxide, L-Methylfolate Calcium, Chromium Picolinate), Brown Rice Flour, Emulsifier: Sunflower Lecithin, Thickeners: Gellan Gum, Sweetener: Sucralose, Flavouring.

I think you can see good things and things to improve upon in all brands.

All in all, if they are using Huel to compare themselves to; that just proves the relevance Huel has (as if it had to be proven). “There is one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.”

All Huel has to do is to keep going on. Heck, they might even get ideas from this article (information works both ways.

Fairly interested on the development of the plastic and the RTD

3 Likes

For me personally it’s very different, as I choose to not have soy or maltodextrin or glucose in my diet.
But saying that I’m not interested in any RTDs from any company - partly because of the plastic issue and partly because of the fodmaps and lower nutritional value.
If I was stuck and had to choose between them I would go for the huel, not because of any loyalty to the brand but huel RTD has a higher percentage of protein and less sugar.

I’d quite happily have a selection of brands in my cupboard if there were other brands that had the ingredients that suited me personally.
At the moment, soylent and feed don’t have products I want. There might be other brands that do… I haven’t gone searching because Huel suits my needs at the moment, but out of curiosity / interest I still look at other similar products if someone points them at me

5 Likes

Exactly! What it’s all about really. Buying whatever we feel suits us best.

2 Likes

Pot noodle?

3 Likes

Vegans in South Korea eat Not Poodle.

3 Likes

Edit just seen this, can you tell it’s my day off :roll_eyes:

No it isn’t. It’s Dark humour. Some South Korean meat eaters still enjoy dog meat although much of it is imported these days.

1 Like

Are there any flavour boosts that you would say are as good as the feed powders?
I just started huel and would like to make the most of what I have before I test anything new

Have you seen Vite Ramen? Game changer.

2 Likes

Send me noods…they have a sense of humour too.

We are really missing a high protein keto bar. The isomaltulose has a too high GI for me.
There is nothing on the market! Quest bars give me the bloats. Possibly to do with their sugar alcohols?
Feed bars taste great but too high in sugar + carbs
Huel bars are the same.

There are other competitors but they contain hidden sugars in the form of malitol.

I wish there was something out there.

You have to have some ingredients in there to bind the powder into a solid. Sugar / types of sugar are used partly for this purpose. It may not be actually possible to create a keto bar with the sugar level you want.

4 Likes

Pepperami ?! :crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

A vegan keto diet is actually pretty difficult for obvious reasons. Not impossible. But difficult.
Personally if I want a protein hit without any additives sugar or otherwise I just have a pint of water with 2 scoops of pea protein isolate.

Lidl did some squashed meat substitute like bars last year. Can’t remember what they were made out of. Quorn perhaps. They looked like a wide flat soft piece of jerky and were flavoured like meat (chicken tikka, minted lamb etc). They were really really disgusting.

3 Likes

I didnt see them but probably soya, wheat gluten or mushroom. Aldi occasionally sell tofu jerky. I make my own soya and seitan jerky.

1 Like