First Month of Huel

Hi,
I’ve been trying Huel now since July 17th and thought I would put a few lines of how I’m getting on.
The taste is a little too sweet but generally ok. I will be looking forward to the unsweetened version when it comes out, the only time I’ve had lumps was when I tried shaking it without the grill in the bottle.
Reason for trying Huel ? I’m a 55 year old male fairly active (lots of walking) and very lazy in the kitchen.I even like to keep a month supply of food in store ‘just in case’. Anyway over the last month I have used Huel between once and four times daily making up 125g/500mls (500kcals) at a time. Shaking for 30 seconds. Other food depends on what needs eating up in the fridge and meals out etc. At the moment I’m aiming for 2000 kcals/day (just to loose a little weight). My Fitbit says I’m burning around 2500kcals/day.
On the whole I’m very very impressed and feel great on it, except one big thing. I believe the flavour has an artificial sweetener in it. This is something I tend to avoid like the plague and more worrying that it wasn’t put on the label (Just vanilla flavour) I do feel a little disappointed that I found out later on the forum.
On the whole good stuff. I look forward to the unsweetened version although I’ve still got a lot to get through first.
Geoff

3 Likes

I have been through the 4th pouch myself and am approaching the end of the 4th week of mostly just having Huel! (I had some porridge for breakfast until I ran out of that and some other classical food sporadically - just for fun)
Generally I share all your observations and concerns about the artificial sweetener and am wondering if there will be an unflavoured version released before I run out of my current supply. Apart from this problem I am really happy with it and my taste buds slowly adjusted over the weeks, so now at least I no longer have that unpleasant after taste in my mouth reminiscent of cheap ice cream - though I feel this is not a solution, more like a workaround. :smile:

1 Like

I think that Joylent uses dehidrated banana and strawberry. Would be fine to have something alike, since it is not artificial flavour, I guess.
I am concerned about sweetener too.

1 Like

I also agree. Better just use pure glucose (some small amount, like in banana etc surely wouldnt harm?!) than artificial sweeteners.

1 Like