Ground flax seed

Hello everyone. I read all over the internet about the amazing properties of flax seeds. When it comes to the daily dosage, some experts recommend that users not exceed two tablespoons (i.e., 16 gr) per day. May i know what is my daily flax seed intake if I have a 2000 Kcal Huel based diet?

Thank you very much

What experts recommend no more than “16 gr”?

Well…Maybe they are not the most eminent authority in the field, I agree. Nonetheless, if one knows the daily flax seed intake a 2000 Kcal huel based diet implies, one can draw their own conclusions.

I didn’t think flaxseed had an RDA and the link you’ve provided also states:

“To achieve the maximum heart health benefits, it is recommended that we consume 5 tablespoons (40 g) of ground whole flaxseed over three eating occasions in the day.”

I can’t seem to see it stating 16g max?

I read this: To get the full health benefits of flaxseed, we recommend eating 2 tablespoons (about 16 g) of ground flaxseed per day. If you are concerned about, or have been diagnosed with, high blood cholesterol levels, Health Canada recommends eating 5 tablespoons (40 g) of ground whole flaxseed over three eating occasions in the day.

I try to give you the reasons behind my skepticism when it comes to ground flax seeds. I read that they are very rich in phytoestrogens. I do not want to mess around with my hormone levels. Moreover, being a man, I am not so happy to hear that I am introducing as a staple in my diet a source of something that sounds like female hormones. So, if I knew the amount of ground flax seed I take via Huel, I could at least ask someone (a nutritionist, my physician, an endocrinologist) whether Huel can affect my hormone levels or not.

Interesting I didn’t know that about flaxseed… I wonder if the phytoestrogens are what gave me acne with Huel… (I’m a man)

Hi Sam…try and google phytoestrogens and acne…
I have been drinking Joylent and Huel for one year now, and I have never experienced any visible side effect. That being said, I would like to have the right amount of flax seed I ingest, in order to be able to assess the risks I potentially run.

OH MY GOD.
Cyanocobalamine, soja, maltodextrine, sucralose, salt, flurorine, tap water, and now flax seed…

Have you guys tried inedia?

No need to take the piss.

When some of us have problems from consuming a product it’s only fair from a personal point of view to find out what ingredient causes said problem.

After all this is a place for discussion is it not? All the OP asked was what the levels of Flaxseed were.

1 Like

Just had a quick look at omega-3 levels since there doesn’t seem to be any other source (and posted this in another thread) and it’s likely that there is around 60g of flaxseed per 2000kcal of Huel.

It’s possible they may have recommended keeping the flaxseed level low to avoid it affecting your bowel movements too much. In that case, I wouldn’t worry about those recommendations, as Huel seems to be quite well balanced (in my limited experience) for maintaining consistency on that front.

I did laugh!