Hot and Savoury opinions and feedback

I have today tried the Thai Green Curry. My colleague was present, because I wanted a person who has eaten an actual TGC to be present. My colleague informed me that he has eaten it in restaurants and in Thailand. I didn’t find the smell on opening it appealing but I was informed that this smelt quite similar to TGC. I wasn’t that keen on the taste; it tasted slightly sweet and spicier that I would like, however I have eaten spicier Indian curries which has left me feeling confused. I have been using these for lunch so perhaps too spicy for a lunch but as an evening meal. My colleague informed me that it was an acceptable flavour. I would appreciate an Indian curry or West Indian curry to the range.

2 Likes

TGC is magnificent! 600kcal 3 scoops, eyeball the water. Takes longer than tomato and herb to cook in my opinion. But I found the taste lovely. I enjoy curry and this has a tiny bit of zing to it. It’s honestly wonderful. I prefer this to tomato and herb easily.

4 Likes

They’ve been freeze-dried yes. Convenience as you say, otherwise we might as well be sending out Thai Green Curry meal kits! I’m certainly not finding it melting into slop. Perhaps experiment with the amount of water? We haven’t done anything fancy in the photos on site, just arranged it nicely and added a bit of garnish. Reduce down the water will help.

@D90019 interested by your experience with TGC. Sounds very thorough! Will you continue with the TGC or stick to Tomato and Herb in future? Good to hear your friend thought the flavour was close to the real thing, I certainly think it is, although it’s a long time since I’ve been to Thailand.

Noted! I certainly think that would work very well, and I’m a big fan of curry. :crossed_fingers: Any other flavour suggestions (from anyone)?

Cheers @Eric_E_Dolecki I can’t wait for mine for lunch today!

2 Likes

@Tim_Huel I will continue using TGC; I’ve not been discouraged from using it, it’s simply that I prefer tomato as a lunch and TGC for an evening meal/snack.
A possible explanation is that my diet and dietary flavours have been developed by exposure to traditional English meals, Indian curries and west-Indian curries. I have not really been one for venturing into tasting different foods due to the accessibility of them, and, my own values of eating local produce as much as possible to support my local (rura)l areas. Due to my busy work-life balance I don’t always have time to go to restaurants to experience new meals.

I live next door - it tastes fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Tim anything with mushrooms is my all time favourite. However, I am not a lover of the dried mushrooms or frozen ones so perhaps this would not work.
I make a big pot of cream of mushroom soup in my slow cooker for a nice comfort food.
Everyone will have their own preferences though. :blush:

2 Likes

I detest mushrooms. However I do love my mum and when she was unwell last year I made her a cream of mushroom risotto in her slow cooker. I can imagine Huel producing something similar to that would probably be hugely popular.

Especially if it means I don’t have to touch the slimy beastly things.

@Talort. You’re a good son. Nobody ever wants to cook for me as I’ve followed a vegan diet since the 80s. They think I just eat strange things! Perhaps it looks like that to them.
My husbands idea of cooking for me is 2 slices of toast. At least he tried. :bread:

Hah, no he didn’t. He just did it so you wouldn’t ask him again :smile:

1 Like

Yea your so right there. I let him have a go at the ironing once and he did it so badly he knew I would never ask him again.
However, he is great around the house and I certainly cant complain. :hugs:

1 Like

Lol that’s ok then :smile:

Just had my first H&S curry. Excuse the language but bloody hell that is incredible. I’m still trying to get my head around it.

First thumbs ups is that I ordered yesterday (Thursday) at 6pm expecting a Saturday delivery, got it 17 hours later at 11am today!

I do a lot of cooking myself and been to southeast Asia a fair few times, so would like to think I have a somewhat decent palette. I was honestly surprised at how well the TGC turned out! Flavours well balanced and a small spice kick but those that like a good kick can always add more themselves.
Like others I found ‘cooking’ it a bit longer, maybe about 8-10 minutes, turns out better. The recommended water ratio is about right for me.

The T&H I found a little blander but decent enough. I thought it needed a little more water than TGC to get the same consistency. The bits in it seemed a bit more hard/chewy than the TGC. I’ll probably experiment with adding different things/seasoning to get it to how I’d like it.

A great addition to the range and super convenient to get a quick healthy meal in, especially to give a break from the powder, and when the bars/granola won’t cut it. Pricing I’d say is pretty reasonable as well, if you bulk buy.

Definitely looking forward to whatever new flavours you bring out!
I do like a good garlicky tarka dhal, as a suggestion! :slight_smile:

Anyone know how to get the pot in the OP pic? Seems really convenient not having to measure all the things. The scoops don’t really match the grams as two heaped scoops are around 80-85g, so I have to use a scale. Would be really cool if you could maybe add a second bottom line in the pot for the food itself, so you can just pour directly from the bag, that way you don’t have to measure anything. Also, another idea is since the spices are so separated from the dried ingredients, you either get none of it or all of it when you flip the bag. What if the spices were stored in a separate bag from the ingredients, maybe in small meal pouches? That way you know you’re getting the right amount of spice every time.

Just tried the tomato and herb. I much preferred it to the Thai green curry. I ordered 2 tgc’s and 1 tomato and herb. Wrong way round.
I also added some vivera plant chicken tenders, nutritional yeast flakes and a dash of sweet chilli sauce, absutely delicious. :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

@sewil I have read on another post that the the pot will available but as now there are too few to place on the website. The pot arrived as part of the promotional initial orders. The pot is convenient, however you can use a sistema soup jug, insulated food pot (Chillys or thermos) or a large mug such as sports direct or pot noodle. Mentioned on another chat is there are reports some of the HS pots have warped. Mine has not so far but its something to be wary of.

I have found it necessary to stir the bag with a long handled spoon prior to scooping because there appears to be much settling of the product.

Your mention of the amount of grams of powder suggests you calorie count. I don’t calorie count nor am I using Huel for weight loss. I use it to add extra nutrition to my diet, and for periods of weight gain. I have been using 3 to 4 heaped scoops for HS.

1 Like

Happy to report that my pot hasn’t warped so far either. I have a Sistema soup mug which I haven’t tried for H&S but imagine it will work just fine. I too use a long handled spoon to stir the bag before scooping and so far so good.

2 Likes

Only used my pot a couple of times, but I’ve been hand washing it. Have the warpees been using a dishwasher I wonder…?

1 Like

My pot been ok too and I’ve used the microwave method as well as kettle water. I also hand wash. :full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

Same here, hand washed only. Doesn’t take much to rinse out.

2 Likes