How many scoops after workout

Hi all,

I usually hit the gym at 6.30am for about 1.5 hours, then head back home and have 3 scoops of Huel mixed with 1 scoop of whey protein as my breakfast + post work out meal.

I’m wondering if I should increase my intake in the morning to get the most out of my workout, as I am trying to build more muscle. If so, by how many scoops should I look to increase my morning meals?

Thanks in advance

Good Morning,

First of all, it is important to notice that in order to gain weight you need to increase the overall calorie intake, this is throughout the day.

While it is true that protein and carbohydrate absorption is maximized shortly after exercise (van Loon LJ, 2013; Pasiakos et al., 2014; Naclerio et al., 2017); nutrient distribution during the day is also important, such as having casein before sleep (Kerksick et al., 2017).

In your case, I would, perhaps, look to consume small amount of carbohydrates during the workout (Cermak et al., 2013).

Currently, you are getting 1scoop of whey protein (WP) is about 25g (21g of protein). 3 scoops of Huel contain about 36g of protein. Therefore in your breakfast you are getting about 57g of protein. That is perhaps more than what the body will be able to absorbe easily.

You are getting about 46g of carbs. If you are looking to gain muscle I would recommend you increasing the intake of carbohydrates after your workout. It will help you with recovery and help with the muscle building as protein won’t be used as energy souce. Adding some oats, honey, banana, berries or even some peanut butter for the extra calories if you fancy.

As far as the rest of the days go, you should try to be hitting your macros and being on a caloric surplus of 200+. Make sure you have around 30-40g of protein per meal (reach 1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight or more); and more than that in carbs.
You can use some tool like bodybuildings calorie calculator to have a rough idea, or MFP.

Without more details is hard to say more. Summing up:

• I would not add an extra scoop but raw carbohydrates in the morning meal (and perhaps some small amount during the workout).
  • You can use Huel throughout the day to reach 30-40g of protein per meal. Distribute your protein intake during the day.
  • Increase the caloric output for mass gain. Don’t forget about carbs and fats.

Good luck

5 Likes

@Latestfuels thanks for taking the time with your very comprehensive answer , I’ll definitely follow your advise and keep it to 3 scoops whilst adding some bananas or berries.

You mentioned I may be consuming more protein that my body can consume, should I then even have 2 scoops instead of 3, or cut the whey protein?

Thanks

1 Like

You are welcome :slight_smile: Glad I was able to help.

Interesting question. While it is true that pea protein (part of Huel blend) does according to some studies promote muscle growth at the same level of whey; it must be said that WP is the golden standard. Most of the studies are performed with WP; and it has been proven again and again to be a fantastic muscle growth supplement. This is partially due to it’s amino acid profile (rich in Leucine, which pea is not) and digestion rate.

I personally would add the whey protein in, because as I said, it adds more of EAA that have been proven to promote muscle growth. However, you will have to make up for the calories lost.

If you are to use Huel as replacement of any other meal, aka not post-workout, I would not bother adding whey. Huel has a good enough a.a. profile.

The only reason why I would cut the whey is to cut one more supplement and safe money. This would also more convenient and should not have any major impact in your growth either (we are mostly talking about optimizing).

2 Likes

@Latestfuels thanks heaps again!

I used to do 2 Huel meals a day for 3 to 4 days a week but I’m cutting that to breakfasts only with the occasional lunch here and there, so will be adding bananas and berries to my Huel and WP blend moving forwards!

1 Like

Good luck on your gains.

1 Like

Thanks for the cracking reply here. One thing to note, and I’m sure you know this but just for anyone else reading the thread, Huel contains pea _and _ rice protein. The combination of which result in a complete amino acid profile. Like you say :point_down:

2 Likes

Thanks @Tim_Huel for taking the time to get around to this.

I would love Huel even more if you had a product more targeted at people with different nutritional needs, such as those on this thread, ie with more Carbs, Whey, etc.

Thanks,

I don’t believe they intend to make a non vegan product, so no whey.

Huel is still a small company and to make all the different variants that people will want is impossible. People can add protein powder if they want. I do occasionally.

1 Like