How to stop bad addictions/bad food habits

Maybe some users here are disciplined and don’t consume bad stuff like alcohol, coffee or other junk, but honestly I find it it hard to live perfectly “healthy” and stop this addicting stuff. Maybe it is just a bad habit, but I haven’t found a way to stop it.

What are your “bad food habits”? And how do you control them? Can you control them? Any tipps or advice?

Honestly Huel hasn’t solved that issue completely; on the other hand I’ve only tried the powders. Maybe these are not “enough”?
Do you also sometimes find it hard to get adequate nutrition, or focus on the nutritional or “health” aspect?

1 Like

Do you ever do anything fun on a holiday or weekend or just sit at home thinking about stuff like this.

1 Like

I think having an “absolute” mentality and wanting to live “perfectly healthy” is unsustainable.

Coffee is fine unless you like it full of sugar. I’d recommend slowing reducing the amount of sugar overtime and you wont notice the change in taste as much.

My best advice would be to not keep junk food In your home. You can still have it, but you’ll be exposed to it less if you simply don’t keep it in your home.

Stock your house with long shelf life foods like frozen/tinned/dried veg/meat/beans/rice ect, even if you don’t want to. If they’re there instead of junk you’ll definitely end up eating some of them instead of the junk food that would normally be there.

You could save alcohol and junk for social situations when you’re out the house with other people having a good time.

If you like to consume online content featuring food/junk food I would recommend avoiding it. The less time you watch things relating to food the easier it will be for you to think about something else.

Don’t try to be perfect, just try to be better.

1 Like

@ coup:
I should ask you that question because you post more than I do. And having a problem does not mean not having a life.

Sugar is not the problem, but milk. I wish I could at least reduce it. And caffeine interferes with my sleep and increases anxiety.

One day at a time, with a reward system, and perhaps replacing the bad habit with one less bad. Distraction techniques.
But it can be a lifelong battle, they say addictions never leave you, you just have to manage them, constantly. Sounds about right to me.

My point was it was Easter Sunday and instead of doing what people do on Easter Sunday you were worrying over food addiction.

1 Like

I was in church all day. That what normal people do. Celebrate the rising of the Easter cake mixture.

3 Likes

It’s what holidays are for. Less to do, more time to worry. Always seems that way to me anyway. I hate Sundays. Always have. :grin:

Shurely you mean celebrating Jesus’ birfday, ouinon? :face_with_monocle::grimacing:

Most effective method I know is simply don’t have it in your home. Keep well-stocked with healthy, great tasting food, and don’t have alcohol, crap food or whatever your poison is in the home. If you buy your “stuff” from a specific website, do all your shopping with Monzo instead, and block payments to the websites/shops that are fueling your bad habits in the app.

That’s what the Huel bars, RTDs and Daily A-Z cans are for me. They’re all like delicious treats that are equivalent to or exceeding the satisfaction of junk food, but are far healthier. (Same with meals from allplants and Lazy Vegan that are stocked in the freezer, especially allplants’s desserts.) Therefore, if I’m craving some snacks or whatever, I don’t fall into the addictive traps big corps want you to, and instead feel perfectly content with a delicious, healthy, easy snack/meal.

People talk too much about discipline. It’s the equivalent of attempting to carefully climb down a tall, long water tube at a theme park without water while wearing 5 layers of clothes. On the other hand, you think strategically, make little changes in your environment to make future choices simple and convenient, thennn you can just repeatedly jump on that tube in a pair of shorts and slide down that puppy whisking through water while posing for the camera like it’s the time of your life baby.

1 Like

Same with smartphones. While I look at my iPhone as a “tool” rather than a consumption device, it’s still an insane piece of technology that draws me in now and then. That’s why I installed Jomo and have a scheduled session daily that blocks tons of apps, internet browser, etc during certain times, then if I ever have a moment where I try to waste time on something I don’t even care about, I don’t even have to decide. I cannot even do the bad habit, cannot uninstall Jomo during the session, cannot bypass it, etc. So I just naturally move on to good habits.

TL;DR: Forget discipline. While thinking rationally, plan for your future self’s scenarios in ways that reduce the possibility of making bad choices.

Yes discipline is a challenge but I think it’s good to work on it yourself rather than to outsource it to a third party, if you can.
Best way I’ve found to curb excessive smartphone use is just to turn it off. It’s easy to do, and feels good right away - back to life, back to reality.

I was on call, but there was not much work. And in such situations there are relatively few options what you can do.

But back to topic:

Do you have any advice how to improve self control? Satiety is a complex phenomenon, even if you’re not hungry you can have cravings, and some people do suffer from that. It does not have to be a snack, but maybe some junk drinks, with sugar, milk, to go, and very expensive. Especially at work or in stressfull situations. As if one’s mind had some need to calm down or get stimulated and found no other way - hard to describe.

How many percent of your nutrition come from Huel or other complete food shakes? And what do you drink usually? Just water? Or also “bad” drinks"

And if you have “bad food habits” - have you developed any strategies against them that you could share here?

That would be great, thanks in advance.

With cravings it can help to be as busy as possible, create work, go outside, whatever. Get active and tune-out.

I think a lot of people need a habit to lean on, and some habits are less harmful than others. You could try swopping one out for another.

As for bad drink habits I have all the coffee I want. Probably more than is healthy but as addictions go it could be worse.

1 Like

More work means more stress, and more stress leads to less self control - it is a vicious cycle. Being hungry and not having enough nutrients can be a problem, but there are other aspects that are at least as important - psychological issues. Even if it is just a habit to lean on - but is it really a habit? Or an addiction? How do you tell the difference?

There may be people who make it to have only water and Huel, but how many? Are you among these people? Or do you also have some “bad food habits” - mainly psychologically triggered?

Does it help to have different product types and not only shakes? What is your experience?
Thanks!

Work that creates stress is to be avoided. Best to find other work. :wink:

Be obedient to your better nature, follow your own best interests. Think less about giving something up and more about taking something on. Socrates: The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.

:v: