Huel and Alcohol - The perfect team?

Slightly on a tangent and maybe a year or two late …

But wow how a strict huel day caters for faster intoxication! Now tried and tested a few Fridays in a row!

My assumptions are less in your belly to absorb alcohol and as everything is liquid, it moves through you quicker so has a higher absorption rate into, well you

The obvious solution: drink less alcohol!

1 Like

I have become a total lightweight since switching to a mainly-Huel diet. I’m a pure wan can Dan now.

2 Likes

Liquid meals don’t really stop alcohol absorption like a proper meal with some proteins and fats.

About 17 months ago I was in a rush after work and had to get to an event with my friends. I decided to have a liquid meal consisting of 800kcal. That didn’t end nicely, I hadn’t gotten that wasted in years, I thought that I was drinking on a full stomach.

1 Like

I did exactly the same thing a few weeks back, I was mortal off two bottles of coors light :joy::joy:

2 Likes

What happened to OP, is he ok?

He is absolutely hammered and cant find his wifi!

1 Like

It’s been two years, I’m concerned.

1 Like

Perhaps his wifi password is JGHdgndkgHS324t32FNA Which when Drunk very much looks like JGHdgndkgHS324t32ENA and he’ll never find the difference!

3 Likes

For me it was vodka cocktails, but I was hammered after 3. It usually takes a lot more than that, haha.

sounds like the perfect recipe for a cheaper night out, will be experimenting! :wink:

1 Like

I thought it was gonna be about hangovers.

My friend uses it and gives it to others after a night out and he goes “here, this will give your body anything it ever needs” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

it works suprisingly well with hangovers.

I can tell you from experience, that Huel does not infact work in absorbing alcohol. i would recommend having a baked potato instead.

Xoxo
Your fellow hueligan :heart:

I had huel to crack down on a hangover yesterday and it worked a treat! Not so much for my girlfriend though, it came back to us if you catch my drift…

1 Like

I had two baked potatoes and shed loads of wine on Saturday night - the potatoes had almost zero effect - there must be some sort of critical tipping point.

Hi All thanks for all your concerning comments.

I’m still here and still an avid huel user.

Been diagnosed with IBD so that’s been a massive hurdle to get through, I can’t eat or drink pretty much anything now. I wonder if all my wonderful experiments caught up with me hahaha

Love the ideas and have tried a few huel based cocktails but didn’t post results. The biggest take home for me is that cream is king! Baileys, sheridans… anything like that and you’ll have a blast!

Love you all x I’ll be disappearing for a year or two again due to health. Can’t wait to try all the new huels that have recently been announced btw.

Sorry Karl but given this is the Huel forum I thought I should clarify, this obviously doesn’t apply to Huel, which has plenty of proteins and fats.

In fact I’m no nutritionist but I have to debunk some of the claims in this thread. A “stodgy baked potato” will not help you on a night out more than a belly full of Huel. No food “soaks up” alcohol, the best you can do to not get wasted is to keep the alcohol in your stomach for as long as possible, because once it heads through to the small intestine, it is very readily absorbed into the bloodstream. However, if the stomach is busy digesting a meal, the alcohol will also be held up in the stomach, where it is being broken down by enzymes in your stomach before it ever even gets into your blood. More complex meals (combinations of proteins, fats and carbs) will cause the stomach to hold onto the food for longer while it deploys all its different tools for the job, so a belly full of Huel is just as good as anything else for “soaking up” the booze

2 Likes

Huel is a liquid meal so you probably won’t have much in your stomach when you start drinking alcohol.

I’m going to paste a post from a different forum that was very informative on this topic:

1- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1705129/pdf/canmedaj01475-0029.pdf
(expert review article, is seen as scientifically -ok, not the best- evidence)
Here you can read that the reviewer explains that when you have not eaten, alcohol rushes through the stomach and is absorbed in the small intestine, which causes peak values in the blood alcohol level which translates into a higher intoxication (drunk).
When you have eaten before drinking, the alcohol will stay in the stomach and be absorbed through the gastric wall (and duodenum) which is a smaller process and causes less peak values.

2- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2764113
(an experimental study)
Shows in human test subjects that alcohol is absorbed fastest when only the liquid meal was consumed, but slower when consumed with or after a solid meal.

What is also said in this study (not with so many words) is that the stomach empties much quicker when only liquid meal is consumed.

If you would add up these two studies, you get an interesting answer for the FAQ:
Drinking a liquid meal does not protect you against getting drunk on a saturday-night.
Because liquid fluid passes quickly through your stomach, which means that your stomach is empty all the time when you drink liquid fluids. So the alcohol you consume travels quickly to the jejunum and is absorbed quickly, which causes a spike in your blood alcohol level.

The problem is, you’re looking at huel wrong, huel ISNT a liquid meal, no more than the mashed potato you ate is a liquid meal. Its a meal, just without the chewing. It is very much the same as a solid meal just with less jaw action. If jaw movement defined what type of food i was consuming i would be worried :stuck_out_tongue:

Huel is a liquid meal, the articles on Huel’s website have even compared it to soup while saying that people don’t find anything wrong in eating soup although it’s a ‘liquid meal’.