Huel and diabetes going well

So I decided to try huel for three reasons.
The simple one is I want something healthy to replace at least breakfast and sometimes dinner aswell.I’m hoping to loose a tiny bit of fat but it’s not the main reason.
The third and more interesting I’m type 1 diabetic. I’m a well controlled diabetic with a very sweet tooth. My sugars vary a lot daily but over the course of 3 months I’m very good and somehow balance it out. I’ve moved to huel and I’m impressed with the way my blood sugars are very stable for 2-4hours. I’m running a bit high as I work out how my body copes with huel but it’s so stable.
I’m almost enjoying my huel although my cravings haven’t gone but they have been reduced. I’m hoping it makes me a stronger cyclist as that’s my main exercise and commute to work against the clock.
Leaving this here for any diabetics thinking or using huel.

2 Likes

Great feedback - please do keep us posted on how your performance progresses

Other people have been posting blood sugar readings comparing Huel to other foods. If you have the equipment, I would personally love to see som more data on this.

1 Like

I take regular blood tests. Although my sugars are quite level I’m struggling to get them correct due to my morning insulin usage been off the chart with the rest of the day. Huel has made this more stable but I’ve not found the insulin amount correct for my varying day to day working.
I can tell you that I’m having to take my insulin at 6am ish. To have my huel at 0730 due to the way the energy comes in. 20mins after huel my sugar rises but 30mins after it stays at that level for ages.
Maybe I’ll do a diary of sugars just worry my body isn’t exactly good for the look of the results. Huel or not my morning sugars are a mess.

1 Like

Ahh okay, well dont hesistate to post some stuff on the forum, if you one day get more reliable data.

A snippet of data from today. Only had huel for breakfast yesterday.
Sugars on waking were 11.6 (7am)
Had 7 units of humalog insulin. 6 for the huel and 1 for the slightly high 11.6. 35minutes after insulin had my huel. 25minutes biking to work.
1020 my sugars were 8.5 light snack of 4 cream crackers with no insulin.
1300 sugar is 7.9 (huel time)

My sugars on huel are so stable. I’ve finally worked out roughly my insulin need for it and how to stop the high I was getting after huel for breakfast. Hope this helps.

2 Likes