Diabetes and Huel

Hi
I have just started to use Huel , however I am a newly diagnosed diabetic. How best to proceed. Need to loose weight too.

Huel is suitable for both type 1 and type 2 diabetics. It is based on oats and is high in fibre. As with all food, if you’re using medication to help control your diabetes you should structure your intake of Huel appropriately. Indeed, Huel is low in sugar, has a low GI of 27 and you can accurately measure the amount of carbohydrate you’re consuming each meal; this may be useful depending on what medication or insulin regimen you’re following.

The carbs in Huel are complex carbs. This ties in well with Diabetes UK recommendations here https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Enjoy-food/Carbohydrates-and-diabetes/

Indeed, for diabetics who count their carbs to help manage their blood glucose levels as detailed on the Diabetes UK website https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Enjoy-food/Carbohydrates-and-diabetes/nuts-and-bolts-of-carb-counting/

Here are some other diabetic Huel users experiences you can read for some more information:

1 Like

Hi I’m type 1 and have been for 19yrs, always had ok control, better when I was at the Gym 5/6 days a week, but now a family man with responsibilities the gym is a distant memory.

I have been using Huel on and off for about a year+ now.

As to exercise I do normally play Golf, 1/2 rounds a week or more when off work and love cycling, so ride up to 100 miles a week, weather and time permitting, also like to swim. As said normally!

I become a little bigger than normal about 3 yrs back and since has been a devil to lose, but then on my quest to lose weight, back end of last year, 113kg down to 109kg in a few months, muscle and toned up as well, I then snapped my crucial ligament in my knee, not only did I add weight, but now up to 118kg:( and fed up of pricking my fingers to check my high blood sugar level!!!

I have just ordered a Abbott Libre to help keep my eyes on my Blood Sugars and will be looking at Huel 100% for a couple of weeks to get control of Insulin. Hoping to get back to a decent weight, though will take a while.

Huel for me has been great for Breakfast and Lunches and really good as a healthy snack and if a little low in the middle of the night, hate that fat over sugared feeling when you stuffed yourself with crap just before going low.

Also a big shout out to the Bars, really good snack and even sub dessert, half a bar, someone chocolatie in the cocoa to satisfy the urge. Bit dry though fellas, difficult to eat on long journeys when it crumbles everywhere;)

@Gulliver_Huel Hey, do we have any info on insulin index of Huel?

We don’t - but I can see if the people we use for GI testing are able to advise.

Thanks man, appreciate it. Love your ytb huel videos!

1 Like

Hi James, is there an answer to this somewhere?

Hi @Mr-Jones - the insulin index of Huel products haven’t been tested. However, due to the low GI (see article) of all products and the fact that glycaemic markers of v3.0 were favourable in Wilcox et al 2022, I feel it would be safe to assume the II will be acceptable.