Huel Black and Diabetes

I’ve studied the posts on Black edition but still have a couple of questions on it.

I’ve been losing weight since the beginning of the year and I’m really pleased with the results. I’ve been consuming the usual Huel but I think I could lose more weight if I started on the Black edition.

Being a type 2 diabetic, could I find myself having low blood sugar due to the reduced carbs? With a meal reduced from 500 calories to 400 calories, it’s a good way to lose additional weight, is there anything I should be aware of before I do that?

Hi David,

These are very valid questions to have, and something I definitely asked myself before starting to use Huel.

I have Type 1 Diabetes and find that over the 12 months (give or take) that I’ve been using Huel Powder (v.3.0), I generally have a slow increase in glucose compared to other food sources I used to have before for my breakfast (i.e. instant oats, wholemeal toast). I haven’t felt the need as yet to use the Black Edition powder, but It is something I’m considering as I find myself becoming more dependent upon higher insulin injections.

I’ve copied in some helpful advice from the FAQ section on this site, as well as the Glycaemic Indexes for both the Huel v3.0 and Black Edition powders.

Overall I’ve found using Huel (mainly via the powders and H&S meals), that has certainly been really beneficial for providing a slow release of glucose, and therefore the ability to stay within the required ranges. I’ve also found that I have lost some weight (although this wasn’t a primary goal of mine) by consuming approx. 100g of Huel powder for my breakfast (~35-40g carbohydrates) and approx. 100g of Huel H&S meals for my lunch (~35-40g carbohydrates as well).

I should point that out that everyone with any type of diabetes will react differently depending upon many different factors (both genetic and environmental).

I would be more than happy to help any more If I can; just let me know :slight_smile:

Can Huel be used if I have diabetes?

Yes, all Huel products are suitable for both type 1 and type 2 diabetics, but we suggest limiting Huel Bars to one per day. Huel Hot & Savoury, Powder and Ready-to-drink can be consumed freely.

Our products are based on oats and are high in fibre. As with all food, if you’re using medication to help control your diabetes, you should structure your intake of Huel appropriately. Huel Powder and Ready-to-drink are low in sugar, have a low-GI and you can accurately measure the amount of carbohydrate you’re consuming in each meal; this may be useful depending on what medication or insulin regimen you’re following.

The contribution of total energy intake that comes from carbohydrate is between 35% and 42% – depending on the Huel product – levels that tie in well with Diabetes UK recommendations. Indeed, for diabetics who count their carbs to help manage their blood glucose levels (as detailed on the Diabetes UK website), please look at the Nutrition information of Huel; for example, a 2 scoop meal of Huel Powder provides 38g of carbohydrate.

What is the Glycaemic Index (GI) of Huel?

Huel Powder has a GI of 16.

Huel Black Edition has a GI of 19.

1 Like

Thanks @danielmg for your informative post!

I’ll just add David that lower carb diets are increasingly being seen as a way to manage type 2 diabetes. Your weight loss question depends on your starting weight, what else you’re eating throughout the day, your level of exercise etc. If you have specific concerns it’s best to speak to your doctor/dietitian for personalised advice.

1 Like