Huel Black

Here’s why Huel black appeals to me:

My goals are to build muscle and lose fat.

To meet these goals I like to give myself 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight.

Carbs and fats then make up the rest of my energy requirement.

Now, my diet isn’t 100% huel… But huel black now means that it could be. So on days where I really don’t want to think about diet, I can now just entirely rely on huel black. This is extra fantastic while away from the kitchen - on the road.

What I mean by this, is that I can now eat my entire protein requirement… For example 180 grams per day, and yet still be in an energy deficit when I need to lose fat, and of course ramp it up slightly when I don’t need to lose fat.

By comparison, with classic huel, to meet my 180 grams of protein, the overall calories end up way to high

4 Likes

I think there is a factor everyone so far is missing, and that is insulin resistance.
In the presence of insulin, there is no weight loss.
Huel Black is way better for weight loss because it improves insulin sensitivity due to the lower carbs.

If you are very overweight, you probably have some insulin sensitivity issues already.

2 Likes

It’s not really about the carb content though. It’s the overall GI index. Huel has a very low GI because of the high fibre, fat and protein which counteract the oats.
Huel Black has a higher sugar content so could potentially have a higher GI but im guessing the GI will be similar due to the high protein and reduced carbs which will balance out the addition of sugars.
I don’t think they’ve published the GI of Huel black yet - but I do know they are in the process of testing it so I’m sure we will hear soon.

But it’s important to not assume regular Huel spikes insulin levels, because it doesn’t

What? Weight loss happens when a person consumers less energy/calories than he spends during a day. It is a simple law of physics and insulin is not the main thing here.

1 Like

This is incorrect.

1 Like

I use Huel Black for weight loss and it works very well. 4 drinks for 1600 cals per day. The reason I think it is advantageous (for me) is that while calories are calories and there’s no disputing that the only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit (so in this sense Black or White are the same) the only diet that is effective is the one you can stick to. And Huel Black - thanks to lower carbs and higher protein - leaves me feeling more full and therefore more able to stick with it. In that sense I’d argue Black is better …

4 Likes

Sounds good @DavidP

Are you doing much exercise on 1,600 cal a day?

Have you tried doing exercise on 1,600 cal of white a day?

Was the Black (and higher protein) better for being active than the white?

I’ve lost some weight since lockdown by counting calories with Huel.

Being in a deficit has been relatively easy asI’ve only been running a few times a week instead of lots of walking and some weights like I did before lockdown.

I’m worried that when I go back to my normal routine, I will eat more, as will be more active, and then put the weight back on.

So am wondering how much Huel to have to keep my energy levels up, without overeating. Maybe the extra protein of Huel Black will help?

This is a 1999 study with a small sample size of 20 participants who complied with the diet. Is there anything more recent/robust?

There’s nothing wrong with older studies if they are performed correctly, recency bias is often brought up for older studies.
You want people to comply with the diet otherwise the question “does insulin prevent weight loss” can’t be answered.

Here’s another study and another and another.

Hi Dan, sorry for my confusing phrasing, i didn’t mean to imply that they complied with the diet and so don’t warrant consideration. I just meant that the sample size was small and only 20 of the 31 participants could be included because only 20 of them stuck to the diet.

I’m struggling personally with conflicting information on this. My doctor has said that low-carb (not just low GI) is necessary to get weight reduction results due to PCOS-related insulin resistance, but here I seem to see calories in/out is the only calculation that matters.

1 Like

No worries, thanks for explaining.

The studies weren’t conducted with participants who had PCOS, it’s a different ball game, so please listen to your doctor who is offering you personalised advice based on your health.