Huel carbon footprint

Hello,

One for huel themselves I guess but has anyone worked out the carbon footprint of a bag of huel compared say 14 packaged preices of chicken, beef or fish or whatever would be the equivalent number of meals bought in a super market. Tray bake lasagne?

2 Likes

I donā€™t know about Huel Vs. individual food items but below is what one person would throw away if they were to only eat Huel for 96 years. Pretty impressive.

Interesting thread here: https://discuss.huel.com/t/what-to-see-what-96-year-of-huel-pouches-looks-like/929

2 Likes

Added to this question (and that is an amazing picture!) my question is about food miles:

Do the ingredients for Huel all originate in the UK? If not, what countries are they sourced from?

I know that Huel is manufactured in the UK (hooray!) but Iā€™m interested in the food miles and likely emissions generated by transporting the ingredients to Devon. Emissions from Huelers I think is covered elsewhere. :mask:

(We should all think of ways to lower our own carbon footprint, one component of which is indirect: the emissions generated in the production of food we consume. I hope being a 100% Hueler scores some points!)

2 Likes

Is it a case of ā€œweā€™d rather not say?ā€ Iā€™m not going to stop being a Hueler just coz youā€™re a bit coy, but a response (of any kind) would be nice.

Typically, three quarters of carbon emissions are generated by the production stages of food, so being UK manufactured must be a good thing anyway!

Enormously interested in this!
Gonna keep an eye on this topic.

Sorry for not responding, so much content on the forum we can miss posts occasionally.

The carbon footprint of Huel would be a mammoth task to analyse. I imagine this is why most companies would not disclose the carbon footprint of their products, because they canā€™t. When founding Huel, one of Julianā€™s core principles for what he believed Huel should be was ā€˜locally sourcedā€™. But Huel is an international brand, we sell Huel in 55 countries worldwide so what is locally sourced for the UK is not locally sourced for Germany or Sweden. When we get bigger we may well be interested in creating localised factories for each country so we can use locally produced products. However, at the moment this would be contradictory; we canā€™t promote locally sourced food to reduce carbon emissions and then ship it half way across the world. This seems hypocritical.

The main ingredient in Huel are oats and these are from the UK. However, all the ingredients in Huel do not exclusively come from the UK.

Although we cannot be entirely locally produced at the moment, we do pride ourselves on being a cut above the rest. By reducing our packaging - like you have mentioned above - as well as relying on 100% vegan sources of food to reduce carbon emissions, reducing food waste by producing a product with a 12 month shelf life we are already doing a great deal to reduce our carbon footprint.

Bets to remember that anything vegetarian, or better vegan, will have a much MUCH smaller footprint than anything with meat in it :slight_smile:

2 Likes