Huel during chemotherapy

I’ve not long had my 1st round of chemo (2nd time round in 4 years) and was wondering if Huel would be okay to use? I’ve been a Hueler for 2 years now and think it’s a great product, I’ve currently got 4 bags sitting unopened. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Cara - a quick search through the old forum posts shows there are quite a few people on or post chemo using Huel and feeling better for it. Obviously everyone reacts differently to each other so I would suggest you start off lightly to see how it goes. Good luck with the treatment - I know from past experience how much it sucks.

2 Likes

Hi @coconuttree - hope you’re feeling better.

Yes, Huel will be fine to use, in fact it will be a great source of nutrition if you’re appetite has not been so good.

1 Like

Huel is advertised For people on the go.

Old people and illness is not sexy but Huel is a an amazing supplement for those who have lost appetite and often weight. The prescribed supplements like Ensure are not as good as Huel . Those whose health is on a bit of a knife edge can really benefit but they look at the blurb and there is nothing about cancer, illness or the elderly. For those in lockdown who are vulnerable Huel could be a lifesaver as deliveries can be difficult.

1 Like

and? what was the point you were trying to make to me?

Thanks for the replies. I am going to start off with 1 tomorrow and up it to 2 the following Monday as I find my mouth starts to hurt 4-5 days post treatment and taste buds go haywire.

1 Like

yes I remember those same issue - good luck and keep well.

There is a vast untapped market of elderly and /or infirm who could benefit from Huel but the literature does not mention this

Hi, I’m 63, just been diagnosed with metastatic liver cancer from breast cancer two years ago. Am just starting chemotherapy (again…) and although no major side effects yet I’ve lost my appetite completely. I can’t afford to lose any weight (BMI around 19) Can’t face cooking (I live on my own) so thinking to have at least one Huel a day, with normal breakfast of yoghurt granola and fruit and a decent quality veggie ready meal in the evening. Any thoughts of black vs white? Not doing any significant exercise at the moment despite have been very fit in the recent past

2 Likes

Good luck Caz with the treatment. Go smash it and hope you recover well.

My thoughts with Huel products is try it and see if helps if not try something else. Everyone is different in my experience.

Might be worth getting some of each, black and white, and see which feels better. You can mix them together too if you want. If you feel you could use a bit of extra protein you’d be better with Black Edition, but it’s all good. Get a variety of flavours if you can.
Good luck!

Having being in similar scenarios I would recommend RTD - its just smoother and easier to cope with if you’re not feeling like eating or prepping anything.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Caz. Plenty of Hueligans find Huel is helpful when appetite gets low during treatment, so hopefully we can help here too. :black_heart:

In terms of the right Huel for you, this really depends on your preferences, as all our meals supply complete nutrition. On paper, our Black Edition formula is the most energy-dense, supplying 400 calories per 90g serving (compared to 400 calories per 100g supplied by our classic Powder), making it the go-to choice for those looking to gain weight/reduce the risk of weight loss. That said, as Phil highlighted, our Ready-to-drink range is especially popular for its smooth texture, so you might find this a little easier to get down. Perhaps try creating a bundle with a couple of options (a bag of Black Edition and a few Ready-to-drinks) to find out which works best for you. You might even find having a variety helps with keeping things interesting.

Best of luck with your treatment :muscle: