Huel Gut Diary

I’ve had to stop having Huel in the past due to gut issues and getting terrible Huel guffs.

I’ve been lucky enough to snag half a bag of 2.1 gluten free to give it another shot - I didn’t want to spend £40 on a new order in case the gut rot came back and had to throw it away!

I’m planning to have 100g a day, with about 400ml of water. It should last me about 7 days I think. If its good, I will get back on the Huel.

Since the first few times I tried Huel, I’ve tried the My Protein alternative with no problems so I’m hoping something has changed downstairs and I can drink Huel.

Day 01 - June 20: 100g with about 400ml of water, had to shake/mix by hand, then left in the fridge for about 6 hours before drinking.

Day 02 - June 21: 100g with about 400ml of water. Going OK so far.

Day 03 - June 22: 100g with about 400ml of water. Was going but this evening my old friend the Huel Guff is back!

Terrible wind with that heinous aroma from last time!

What the hell is in this stuff that makes me react so bar?

I was fine on the Cholcolate My Protein Whole Fuel - what’s so different?

Chocolate Flavour: Oat Flour (41%), Pea Protein Isolate (22%), Vegan Vegetable Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Emulsifiers (Acacia Gum, Sunflower Lecithin), Brown Rice Syrup, Natural Flavourings, Anti-Caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide), Antioxidant (Alpha-Tocopherol)), Natural Chocolate Flavouring (Flavourings, Cocoa Powder, Sweetener: Sucralose), Brown Rice Protein (6%), Flaxseed Powder (5%), Potassium Phosphate, Calcium, Emulsifier (Xanthan Gum), Vitamin and Mineral Mix (Maltodextrin, Vitamin C, Zinc, Iron, Vitamin E, Niacin, Sodium Selenite (Carrier: Calcium Carbonate), Vitamin A, Copper, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin (Carrier: Maltodextrin), Chromium (Carrier: Calcium Carbonate), Folic Acid (Carrier: Maltodextrin), Vitamin D (Ergocalciferol), Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12 (Carrier: Maltodextrin), Vitamin K, Potassium Iodide (Carrier: Sodium Citrate), Thiamin, Molybdenum (Carrier: Maltodextrin), Riboflavin), Inulin Powder, Magnesium, Thickener (Guar Gum).

Looks like I’m out! :cry:

After reading about adding Olive Oil to Huel to help with gut problems, I’m giving it another shot.

Friday June 30 - 100g Huel / 500ml water / tablespoon of Olive Oil

JCW let me know how you get on please with the olive oil :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will do.

Saturday July 1 (day 02) - 100g Huel / 500ml water / tablespoon of Olive Oil

went out for drinks in the afternoon and had about 4-5 pints - not drank for months so this might have an effect on my gut but nothing to report yet

Sunday July 2 (day 03) - 100g Huel / 500ml water / tablespoon of Olive Oil

Still no problems, but early days. I think I’ve got one more 100 g of Huel left which is a shame as it won’t let me do a full test!

Monday July 3 (day 04) - ) - 150g Huel / 500ml water / tablespoon of Olive Oil

Finished the bag and no problems after 4 days which is much better than the first half of the bag.

Will order some more and see how I get on.

Got another bag so back on the Huel wagon after a week off.

Tuesday July 11 (day 01) - 100g Huel / 500ml water / tablespoon of Olive Oil
Wednesday July 12 (day 02) 150g Huel / 500ml water / tablespoon of Olive Oil

2 Likes

Just had two days of 150g of Huel and water, twice a day plus olive oil with each serving. Regular food for other meals.

My old friend the huel guffs have returned with a vengeance!

I think the constipation is part of the problem.

I get bunged up and whatever is brewing in there conjures up a foul smelling gas.

I’m going to stop now as my family are getting angry, confused, and upset about the smell.

It was never my intention to hurt anyone so I will stop now.

JCW do you think the gluten free version would make an improvement? I’m wondering whether to give it a go as we seem to be facing similar problems

I tried a bag of the gluten free but has the same problem.

Maybe unflavoured would be better? I only ever tried the vanilla.

Using olive oil as completely worked for me and the wind problem, it was really terrible but now zero flatulence

Just received a couple of bags of v2.3 GF Vanilla so will give it another shot about six months later.

With food I’ve been taking chia seeds in water each day to help keep me regular so will continue that with Huel.

Had a couple of days of Huel and Huel Bars as my only fuel.

WInd has reduced a bit today which is good after a bad start yesterday.

Still haven’t passed a stool yet though!

Been taking chia seeds and adding about 20 sprays of coconut cooking oil into each shake.

Yesterday was fun! Not much wind but had a Huel with a banana blended in in the evening and had to run to the toilet for an explosive liquid number 2!

Don’t think it was the banana…

Do you get any other gut discomfort from Huel, or just bad farts? I have constant gut issues that seem to be exacerbated by Huel and I’m trying to work out what might be causing it. Feels like pockets of gas making slow, uncomfortable, jerky progress through my guts, and it constantly feels like my stomach isn’t settled. I’ll be following this to see if you find any solutions or work out what’s causing it.

Just bad smelling wind and constipation.

I’ve finished two bags and just received another two.

Towards the end of the last bag I was adding a tablespoon of chia seeds to each shake and that might’ve helped me become more regular, thus reducing the gas problem.

Will see how it goes with the next two bags but I’m feeling hopefully.

Although four tablespoons of chia seeds a day could pose its own problems!