Huel layering during transport?

Hi!

Just started Huel and I love it so far. However I got this thought the other day:
Wouldn’t the Huel separate into layers depending of how fine each ingredient was ground during the shaky transport?
If true, then that would mean you wouldn’t get a good mix of nutrition each meal.

What’s your thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Martin

1 Like

From my experience the powder compacts but does not separate during transportation otherwise all the brown flecks of flaxseed would be together, but it’s evenly spread throughout the powder.

1 Like

It’s generally shipped horizontally, not upright, so if it was going to settle and ‘layer’ it would be more likely to do this whilst being stood upright in your cupboard when stored.
I can’t say I’ve ever noticed the ingredients appearing differently mixed throughout the bag.
I’m guessing that if this was an issue or concern, the bag would have instructions to shake well before opening, which it doesn’t.
You make a good point though!
I wonder what magic they do to make it so perfectly mixed… I think maybe it is so finely ground, there aren’t particles of different sizes (but I’m thinking surely some particles would weigh more than others?)

I’m now intrigued!

Maybe @JamesCollier or @Tim_Huel can explain the science / methodology behind their magic and why the bag doesn’t need shaking to ensure even distribution of ingredients !

1 Like

There are videos out there on how Huel is made. The ingredients are mixed before a set amount being dumped into a pouch. As @Blobbymatt has said, the powder naturally compacts itself while being moved about. This would prevent granules of powder from separating based on which weigh more than others.

2 Likes

With enough shaking though you’d think there might be some separation. Say no more, I’m shaking my bags on arrival from now on :joy:

But having shaken a bag of broken biscuits that just put the crumbs at the bottom and the bigger bits on top.

1 Like

True, Personally I would just give the scoop a good mix around the bag before scooping out our huel :slight_smile:

To be fair, this isn’t something we actively test for however we regularly do nutritional testing and not had any anomalies.

The ingredients will have a range of particle sizes / densities so over time could separate I guess. Whether that happens during transport is questionable and I imagine to separate them significantly would require a fair bit of agitation - probably not experienced whilst bein transported. Could just mix the powder a bit in the bag if you’re worried but I don’t think this would be an issue.

2 Likes

Daily macros aren’t really an issue, if you eat the bag contents over the course of a week or two, you’ll have got them all.

1 Like